I used to play an old acoustic guitar for about 3 years, but I stopped about 4 years ago. I found that the guitar I had been playing didn't really sound too good, and the action was too high, thus I found it really hard to advance.

Now I'm thinking of buying an electric guitar. I don't really consider myself a beginner, more like a beginner-intermediate, so I really don't think I should be getting the starter guitars such as the Squier Strat.

I read the reviews on the Epiphone Les Paul Special II, people say its geared to beginner and beginner-intermediate, so *maybe* I think it would be good for me.

I play mostly alternative rock such as Lifehouse, as well as some Japanese Rock such as Stereopony. I don't really listen to anything heavy.

So I am wondering if I should be considering this Les Paul Special II or should I go for a lower-end guitar such as a Squier Strat or if anyone has any other recommendations. I have read about how bad the Squier Strats are, so I really don't think I should get something like that or any type of beginner guitar.

There are only 2 big music stores in Toronto, the cheapest guitars that are brand new are the Squier Bullet Strat and the Epiphone Les Paul Special II. I go to the stores and see what they have in the used section, but I was wondering if any of the more experienced members can give me some advice on any such guitar I should get.

Budget is around $175, not too much over. I appreciate any advice that any of you may give me.
i have a les paul special II. it's not that great. it's good for beginners and even tho i am more like intermidate/advanced the guitar still is ok for me. it's really easy to play and it doesn't sound that bad but there are better guitars
Quote by archenemyfan
epiphone les paul special II's arent very good,TBh they are crap

if you want something new this is very very hard to beat

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PAC112J-Electric-Guitar?sku=511077

they are great guitars for the price,even better considering you get a lifetime warranty

if you can go used,then there'll be alot more choices

I really wish MusiciansFriend had free shipping to Canada. It's almost $60 the shipping.
There has to be somewhere in Toronto that stocks Yamaha as honestly, a Pacifica 112V is easily the best guitar you could get. It's well made, easy to play and ideal for either a beginner or a slightly more advanced player and it can stay with you fo a while as it takes upgrades well. I'm looking at buying one myself after I've got my new amp and then maybe upgrading the pickups.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
There has to be somewhere in Toronto that stocks Yamaha as honestly, a Pacifica 112V is easily the best guitar you could get. It's well made, easy to play and ideal for either a beginner or a slightly more advanced player and it can stay with you fo a while as it takes upgrades well. I'm looking at buying one myself after I've got my new amp and then maybe upgrading the pickups.

I'll go check tomorrow in the stores. I have only been looking at the stores' websites.
I don't really know of any stores other than Steve's and Long&McQuade.
Last edited by ug7133 at Sep 5, 2010,
The Yamaha Pacifica 112V is well respected as a beginner guitar. You might also look at the similar Cort G series as most comparisons say that has a better neck feel (subjective, I know) and better pickups for a typical Strat sound.
Just a bit more money would get you into the Cort X-2 (superstrat) or Cort Z-40 (single cut) which has a brilliant feel with its contoured and chamfered body. I've played both and I'd pick the Z-40, but I'm a Les Paul admirer and a bit biased. I'd certainly gig with either.
Another reason I like Corts is that they seem to ship in a very playable condition, so setup is just a matter of fine tuning to your own preference. This is a huge benefit if you can only buy online.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Steve's certainly do Yamaha, though their website only shows the Pacifica 012. Believe me, the 112V is worth the extra so don't just settle for the 012. I assume that if they stock one, they can get the other and you could try to negotiate on price. Other than that, why not just try a Pacifica out at Steve's and then order from somewhere else online? I'm afraid that as I'm in England I don't know who would be a good online resource for you so hopefully someone else can help you with that.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Special 2's aren't any more advanced than Bullet Strats. They're both really crappy guitars.

I'd be more worried about what kind of sound you're trying to achieve. Strats and Les Pauls are pretty much on the opposite side of the tone scale from each other.

If you're getting an electric, do you have plans for an amp as well?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have the Epi' II. It's the only one I have and I'm about a year into guitar playing.

I don't think it's utter shit (though I wouldn't kinda know). It could do with more sustain, the fretboard is a bit tiny and it's back heavy. I would also personally love to have individual knobs for both pups which this doesn't have.

For some 150$ I think it's an alright starter. I have never been mad at the guitar.
If you like Japanese Rock (I've played a bunch of times), you'd be better off with Ibanez, probably RG Series.
Gear

Ibanez RG350DX Electric Guitar With DiMarzio Tone Zone
Academy Electric Guitar
BeaverCreek Acoustic Guitar

Roland Micro Cube Amp
Academy 15W Amp
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey Sanpera Footswitch I
Quote by Offworld92
I'd be more worried about what kind of sound you're trying to achieve. Strats and Les Pauls are pretty much on the opposite side of the tone scale from each other.

I really don't know what kind of sound I am trying to achieve. I have seen live videos for 2 Japanese bands I listen to a lot and its always a mix of strats and telecasters.

Some others have a mix between strats/teles + les paul.

To my knowledge Lifehouse does not use strats, but then again alternative is different from j-rock.

Quote by Offworld92
If you're getting an electric, do you have plans for an amp as well?

Right now I am considering only to get the cheap amps, like the 10W ones or less, like a micro-amp. I don't really need anything powerful at the moment, I could always upgrade later.
If you're in Toronto pop over the border. Rochester has a small but good Guitar Center and House of Guitars, which is pretty good.

In one of the Lifehouse videos the guy was playing a Les Paul Custom, but that's all I can really say about that, haha.

As far as a small but decent amp goes, I'd go with a Vypyr 15 or Microcube. I bought the latter for my dorm room, but if size wasn't an issue I'd go for a Vypyr.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?