Hey guys,

I'm considering buying a 7-string guitar, I have two options -

1. Wait for a LONG, LONG time and save up enough cash to buy a $1000-level guitar.
2. Wait only a short time and buy a guitar in the range $300-450, and select and upgrade pickups.

I live in India, so buying used isn't much of an option, cause shipping would be too much of a headache. However, I can get pickups fairly easily.

I own an ESP LTD F-50 which I put Duncans in, to great results (I'm very happy).

I can easily get LTDs and Schecters where I live, maybe some Ibanez guitars. What do you think about the Schecter Omen 7 (and Omen Extreme 7)?

I play metal, but with some cleans and stuff. Any ideas?
Try and find a used 7 string for a decent price and see how you like it. Then eventually invest in a higher end one later on.

I'm a fan of the Ibanez RG7321, the necks feel abit better than Schecters - Schecter's necks are a bit inconsistent to me, some feel great and others don't. The Loomis is great.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by silly hats
Try and find a used 7 string for a decent price and see how you like it. Then eventually invest in a higher end one later on.

I'm a fan of the Ibanez RG7321, the necks feel abit better than Schecters - Schecter's necks are a bit inconsistent to me, some feel great and others don't. The Loomis is great.

Can't buy anything used here. I live in India.

I liked the Ibanez RG1527, but I don't really like the RG321/S420 very much. Never played a Schecter properly. But I love my LTD.
People don't seem to like the pick ups on the RG1527 either and often swap them out (judging by other comments on this forum) so that may be worth bearing in mind
Save up and get a good one.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

If you can get the Schecters and have the cash, I recommend this one:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C7-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=584533

The Schecter Omens are very nice, too. I just like the hardtail and the ebony fretboard on the C-7 Custom. And if you can save up enough money, the Schecter Jeff Loomis 7-string is a fantastic guitar:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Jeff-Loomis-FR-7string-Electric-Guitar?sku=513832
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
If you can get the Schecters and have the cash, I recommend this one:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-C7-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=584533

The Schecter Omens are very nice, too. I just like the hardtail and the ebony fretboard on the C-7 Custom. And if you can save up enough money, the Schecter Jeff Loomis 7-string is a fantastic guitar:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-Jeff-Loomis-FR-7string-Electric-Guitar?sku=513832

I can't afford anything above $450 or $500. Plus I'm really happy with my $220 6-string with Duncans in it. Makes me think I'd be happy with a decent-playing cheap but well-made guitar, with the pickups of my choice. Thoughts?

If I could save up that much money, I'd go for the Loomis 7.

Quote by Darth Sion
Haha get this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rohanranjan/MyNewDeanRC7#

Im actually selling mine. And I live in bangalore. Except im selling for about $2400-2500 so seems like its way out of your price range

Sure , man! Just strike out a 0 and we're good to go!

But why are you selling it? Not happy?
In all truth, I would just get a baritone guitar. Unless you put a good deal of money into a 7 string, your going to hate it cause the lower priced ones sound a lot like an overdriven bass guitar, though I cant speak for all of them.
Ibanez RGA 121
Seagull Enourage
Peavey Ultra+
Marshall 1960B

Quote by Macabre_Turtle
You have my sword, espnukka.

Quote by smartalec007
And my bow!

Quote by The Buttmonkey
And my Axe!
Ibanez 7321 is supposedly a great beginner 7 string. LTD SC-207 and Schecter Damien 7 would also be some interesting choices to consider as well.

If you're going to change out pickups with passves the Ibanez and LTD would probably be best because they don't have the oversized holes that the Damien has because it has EMG passives. If you get the Schecter you might not want to change out the pickups (and if you do actives would be the best way to go so you don't have the awkward space from smaller passive pickups).

I always recommend saving up as much as you can but for some people they have to wait FOREVER to save up the extra money and they waste years not playing what they want to play. It's a catch 22 I guess, unless you can save up the money to get into the more 'mid-level' 7's fairly quickly?
Quote by espnukka
In all truth, I would just get a baritone guitar. Unless you put a good deal of money into a 7 string, your going to hate it cause the lower priced ones sound a lot like an overdriven bass guitar, though I cant speak for all of them.

Words fail me. You...wow. I...wow.

TS follow the link in my sig to the 7 string legion, lots of members who regularly check the thread and know their shit.
I'm not sure if they ship to India,but Rondo music and the Agile brand make some nice budget 7 strings.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I'm not sure if they ship to India,but Rondo music and the Agile brand make some nice budget 7 strings.

I don't think they do.
Quote by Wesbanez
My friend, come over to the 7 string legion, links in my sig, you'll get much more helpful advice

Will do, thanks!

Quote by AkiraSpectrum
Ibanez 7321 is supposedly a great beginner 7 string. LTD SC-207 and Schecter Damien 7 would also be some interesting choices to consider as well.

If you're going to change out pickups with passves the Ibanez and LTD would probably be best because they don't have the oversized holes that the Damien has because it has EMG passives. If you get the Schecter you might not want to change out the pickups (and if you do actives would be the best way to go so you don't have the awkward space from smaller passive pickups).

I always recommend saving up as much as you can but for some people they have to wait FOREVER to save up the extra money and they waste years not playing what they want to play. It's a catch 22 I guess, unless you can save up the money to get into the more 'mid-level' 7's fairly quickly?

I like LTDs, the SC-207 is out of my budget, though. And I don't think I'd want an Ibanez, going by the ones I've played. The Schecter Damien and Demon sound the most promising.

I'm only a student, and can't afford very high-end guitars. Even if I ship guitars here, shipping and customs would be ridiculously expensive.

Quote by Pr0gNut

A friend of mine managed to get an Interceptor 727 Pro shipped here, but it cost him more than $1100 after shipping and customs. Crazy, right?
I'm getting a Schecter ATX C-7 soon, and I'm getting it for £620 approx. incl. postage from USA. MSK Music (where I'll get it from) ship to India too.
Quote by Trve_Satan
I'm getting a Schecter ATX C-7 soon, and I'm getting it for £620 approx. incl. postage from USA. MSK Music (where I'll get it from) ship to India too.

That's nearly twice my budget.
I'm sure the Blackjack and the Hellraiser are great guitars, but they're just too expensive for me to afford on my own right now. The highest marked guitar I can afford now is the Damien 7.

Thanks!