I'm 21 and I can't keep a job because I have panic attacks whenever a stressful situation arises. This also pushed me to drop out of school. My family resents me for it and it makes me look like a bum just living off of them. I was diagnosed with depression a long time ago (about 8 years) and I'm starting to feel the same way again. If somebody else here is in a similar situation, please post. I could really use someone to talk to.
I'm still in school, meaning that I'm going SOMEWHERE for the moment.

But it feels like other parts of my life except for school and education ain't going anywhere.

I can't get a band together, the girl i fancy who fancies me back is incredibly shy, all I do all day long is to sit infront of the computer.
DeVillains!
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy

The first exercise my CBT person gave me was (when you're feeling anxious) to inhale through your nose, hold the breath and count to 2, then exhale through your mouth.

The key part is the counting - it interrupts the anxiety circle that's going on, where your mind gets anxious about something you see etc, so you get a shot of adrenaline, which makes the danger feel more real, so you get more anxious etc.

You should practise it each day so that you remember to do it when you do get anxious.
Last edited by blue_strat at Sep 5, 2010,
The important thing is to force yourself to do something, regardless of how large or how small.

Experience is experience, good or bad. Essentially just get out there and start trying to attain what you want from life.

A good way of getting that confidence, that kind of self trust is to go traveling, or to talk to strangers. It's a great experience, you do something, you meet people and you eventually find yourself.

After something like that, you're pretty much squared away
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Ylasto
I'm still in school, meaning that I'm going SOMEWHERE for the moment.

But it feels like other parts of my life except for school and education ain't going anywhere.

I can't get a band together, the girl i fancy who fancies me back is incredibly shy, all I do all day long is to sit infront of the computer.

From my experience very few women actually approve of a whole band thing if your trying to be in a serious relationship.

then again, most of these women are teenagers
I felt like that just before the band i'm in started,

I'd just left a band, my french wasn't getting any better (I live in France ^^), I was struggling with school, my guitar playing was pretty cr@p (1 year of lessons with a teacher, who when one of his students played Enter Sandman, he said wow I love jimi hendrix aswell, and who after my first lesson said here learn this : it was Europa - Santana...), I was arguing alot with everyone, and I mean Alot ^^...

My life was pretty much stuck in a rut and I wasn't going anywhere fast ^^

so I started jamming with one of my best friends and it just worked, I started doing better in school, I invested myself more in guitar, and my french improved hugely, all because I was happy and I knew that on the weekend I would be rocking out with mates of mine who soon became a band after acquiring my brother on drums...

but I hope the future starts to look brighter for you soon ! best of luck !
Gibson Les Paul Std HB
Fender MIM telecaster MW
Epiphone ZW Les Paul
Orange Rockerverb 100
Orange 4x12
MXR ZW-44
Dunlop Crybaby
Line 6 Relay G30

www.myspace.com/arovidia

Quote by Will Swanson
Pull your scrotum out, and smear it over your walls.
Dude i used to be in same situation, i was a bum still in high school but still a bum, never did my work skipped out on class and smoked all day. I passed with .0007 over wat was need to graduate. I had to force myself to get into to my towns local community college well more like a friend sorta forced me but yea. After that i just "punched" myself in the face and startn doin shit, your life is nowere because you do nothing or atleast seem to do nothing. I dont mean to be harsh but, i just wanna be honest.
i've just finished my degree and i can't find a job for the life of me anywhere
it's pretty depressing
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Yeah. Didn't complete grade 12, and did what I could to face my anxiety and learn to control it and went to university instead of finishing high school. The most important thing is to face your fears and ease into it. Learning to meditate properly will help, learning to clear your mind, focus on reality and control your breathing. Slooow, deep breaths.

Don't drift off into fantasy-land when meditating and breathing, learn to not think and then focus on what's going on around you. Clock ticking? Interesting, make a note of it and stop thinking about it. Car went by? Interesting, make a note of it and stop thinking about it.
I'm almost in the same boat.

I'm 18, just graduated high school in May. I got a job this summer and skipped out on college. I didn't feel like going to a university, sharing a dorm, moving away, etc... and the community college near me... i don't know, I was going to major in Music with my friend but decided to go with my job.

I have a crappy dead end job as a shoe salesman, not in college, and living with my parents. I don't even have my own car.

TS, I feel like I'm going nowhere.
(but I've been saving all my money for my dream amp! Yay...?)
Quote by Devean
Dude i used to be in same situation, i was a bum still in high school but still a bum, never did my work skipped out on class and smoked all day. I passed with .0007 over wat was need to graduate. I had to force myself to get into to my towns local community college well more like a friend sorta forced me but yea. After that i just "punched" myself in the face and startn doin shit, your life is nowere because you do nothing or atleast seem to do nothing. I dont mean to be harsh but, i just wanna be honest.

It may be harsh but I know it's the truth. It's just really hard watching everyone I know succeed (or at least get by) and feeling unable to do so myself. Still, I appreciate the comment and I'm definitely going to make myself start doing things.
I'm going nowhere.

Actually, I'm going to the store in a bit to make an epic, EPIC hamburger.

but other than that, I'm going nowhere today.

EDIT: but on a serious note, I completely agree with Devean. Feeling sorry for yourself and moping will not better your situation. If you're going nowhere, it's because YOU are standing still. Time to move those legs and start walking.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 5, 2010,
My advice would be to keep busy - get yourself out there in a sports club or something, i find extreme sports eg. kiteboarding and skating to be really good for myself. Keeping healthy improves your sense of wellbeing and mentality, and places like that are great for finding good friends.
If sport isnt your thing, get together with other musicians regularly or find some kind of hobby that will keep your mind on positive things.
for me, i KNOW my life wont go anywhere for the next.... 10 years or something, since my step dad ran off, my mother is a fragile wreck without a job, and im left with the responsibility of raising my 7 year old sister. university? man, i dont even have time to read a book.

and this all happened exactly when i decided to commit seriously to becoming a musician. im 20, btw.

but, you know, 10 years down the line, i reckon we look back on these experiences and say (though i hate the cliche) they genuinely made us stronger, smarter people. anyway, you dont really know what to expect from society anymore, that's for sure, so keep your head up and your eyes open, and work at it
I'm 16 and going back to school on Tuesday for another two years, so my advice might not be brilliant, but here goes.
I know and have spoken to quite a few adults about this, relatives and friends, from ages of 25 up to about 50. They all say when you're young, things seem like they're not going to work out. You don't know where you're going. But they said it always finds a way to fix itself. It will always work out in the end.

I don't know if that's true or they were just saying it, but I'm pretty sure if you stick at everything, things will sort themselves out. Just do things you like and enjoy life. It's way too short to be wasted on worrying I know how depression feels. Experienced it before. But if you concentrate on the good things, and let people help you through it, you'll feel better than ever.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Quote by Mr.Feather
I'm 16 and going back to school on Tuesday for another two years, so my advice might not be brilliant, but here goes.
I know and have spoken to quite a few adults about this, relatives and friends, from ages of 25 up to about 50. They all say when you're young, things seem like they're not going to work out. You don't know where you're going. But they said it always finds a way to fix itself. It will always work out in the end.

I don't know if that's true or they were just saying it, but I'm pretty sure if you stick at everything, things will sort themselves out. Just do things you like and enjoy life. It's way too short to be wasted on worrying I know how depression feels. Experienced it before. But if you concentrate on the good things, and let people help you through it, you'll feel better than ever.

It IS true. Believe me, I used to worry so much about the future and my life, but in the end, just do what you can and it'll work out somehow.

Life works in mysterioius ways and is full of twists and turns that you'd never expect. Hang in there and work hard doing what you like, and you'll be rewarded.