Hi all,

I have about 400 pounds to spend on a amp which will mainly be used in my room. I'm not looking for a gigging amp. And please don't recommend headphones.

I currently own a Spider IV 15W so I am looking to upgrade to a tube amp.

I live in central London and don't have access to good music shops where I can test gear out (Denmark Street shops are horrible).

I've been lurking on UG for a couple of months now so I have done my research before opening this thread. I mainly play rock and metal and it seems that the Jet City 20w combo and the Blackstar Ht-5 get recommended fairly often around these parts. I play stuff by Metallica, GnR, Led Zepellin, Vai etc (basically everything from classic rock to the heavier stuff).

Preferably I would only like to spend up to 400 pounds on this amp but any less would be even better still. I can also stretch this budget up to 500 pounds or wtv but I cannot really justify spending that much on an amp that I will only be playing in my bedroom.

What else can I get in that price range and which would you choose between the Blackstar and the Jet City. I understand the Blackstar has more gain and 2 channels but the Jet City has reverb. And recently there has been more hate for the Blackstar here on UG just because it has some SS parts. Is the Jet City so superior to the Blackstar? If I get the Blackstar i can afford a 2x12 cab with V30s to go with it. If i go for the Jet City I will have to go for the combo.

And also, why don't amps like the Tiny Terror and the Night Train get recommended at all?

What other options do I have besides the amps that I have already considered?

I don't mind going used but the used market in London is not that fantastic compared to many parts of the US.

Thanks everyone!
also, it is important that i can play the amp at bedroom levels (ie loud talking levels - not shouting). will the jet city be too loud?
I just got the Blackstar Ht-5 and I love it, its an awesome amp. You can get pretty much any tone with it, and it takes pedals really well.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Only tube amp for strictly practice i would recommend getting is Ht-5. Otherwise for practice im not a fan of tubes as they can be expensive, and additionally expensive for replacing the tubes.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
The Jet City sounds a lot better than the HT-5 IMO. You can run it at quite quiet volumes and it still sounds really nice. The HT-5 might have a bit more gain, but it is quite harsh sounding, I think the JCA20 has more usable gain.
Maybe look at the HT-1 when it comes out?
Its cheaper than the HT-5, but comes with reverb. Still two channels, but unsure whether its footswitch-able (most, if not all blackstar HT series are FS-able, but it doesnt say for the HT-1) The controls are reverb, ISF, volume and gain. Sure, you dont get an EQ but you're saving so much that you can just get a pedal. Comes with headphone slot and emulated output to a PA. Very quiet, on the andertons video they said the volume was cranked right up and was at about talking level. Basically its a smaller, cheaper, quieter HT-5 without an EQ but with reverb. Starts at £169 for head with reverb/combo without reverb, or £199 for combo with reverb.
For bedroomlevels in town, what about the new Blackstar HT-1? Should be in the shops any day. Then there's the Vox AC4-TV which a lot of people like. Lots of options now in home power valve amps..
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

The Night Train I tried was really great, good jangly cleans and pretty beefy once you crank the gain. Pushing your budget a bit though to get that with a good cab as well.

Also all the Denmark St shops I tried were good, it might be worth going back to check them out again. And the used market may not be as good as in the US but it's still the best one in all of the UK, so think yourself lucky man
I got a Laney VR15-110 and it sounds pretty damn good played at home levels.You can crank it up and it gives you giging levels in case you change your mind in the long run. I don't find it very good for metal though. But then again I don't play metal at all.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
Quote by SugarRush66
The Night Train I tried was really great, good jangly cleans and pretty beefy once you crank the gain. Pushing your budget a bit though to get that with a good cab as well.

Also all the Denmark St shops I tried were good, it might be worth going back to check them out again. And the used market may not be as good as in the US but it's still the best one in all of the UK, so think yourself lucky man

haha i wanted to buy a prs se singlecut a couple of months back and NONE of the denmark street shops stocked them. none of them stock jet citys as well. apparently one of them now stocks blackstars.

the service is not fantastic cept for one or two shops. prices are high in general as well. selection amps wise is quite bad.

im just very interested as to why the night train and tiny terror dont get recommended anymore. they were so popular a year back.

also how about a jcm900 combo? i dont think i wanna go for the ht1. no eq and im worried i might be sacrificing tone considering its size.
Quote by jingho
i dont think i wanna go for the ht1. no eq and im worried i might be sacrificing tone considering its size.

Dont discount it without even trying it! You might not have to sacrifice tone. If you do, fair enough, but dont discount any amp on tonal reasons before trying it.
As for the EQ, why not get a pedal as its so cheap?!?
Im not an HT1 fan btw, it just seems pointless to discount an amp on tonal reasons without hearing it.
Jet City would be a good choice. Also, there is a JCM800 combo on Gumtree for £400, so check that out - http://www.gumtree.com/london/09/65130809.html
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
the thing is i wont be able to play a ht5 and a ht1 side by side so if i do order a ht1 (online) i wont know what im missing out on. im just trying to get the most tone for my money.

so ht5? or the jet city?
also has anyone moved from the ht 5 to the jet city and preferred one over the other? or vice versa?
If you're thinking of going for the HT-1 then you should also look at this:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1358530&page=1&pp=20

Not released yet, so don't know the price, but it has more (useful) features than the HT-1 while being even more bedroom-friendly than the HT-5.
Check out a Peavey Valveking 112. You can get them at great prices used, and are great amps. I have also heard great things about the Jet City, though.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)