I'm not yet getting an amp for gigging and whatnot but I'm already making some plans for it. Anyway, my question is: Is it a good idea to buy an amp with cleans straight from heaven and mediocre distorted sound and just buy a Tech21 GT2 for all distortion?
The reason I'm asking is because I kinda the versatility and the tones I've heard in some GT2 demo videos and while some affordable amps have had great gain and so on, their cleans have been very subpar. Also, I'm not looking to buy anything very expensive yet, 500 for a head and about the same for a cab (or even a combo will do really) is probably the right budget for me...

A slight wall of text, sorry everyone. Tell me if this a good idea or not and if it is, would you mind suggesting some moderate priced amps with awesome cleans (matter of opinion, do share yours) that's well transformable with something like the Tech21 GT2

Thanks.
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Well I have the same. A Kustom Defender single channel tube amp and my plan is to buy a Tech 21 Double Drive 3x distortion/od pedal.

If you rely on your pedals instead of your amp you can also play a gig where you use their amp, set it on a good clean and you`re ready to rumble. With Battle of the Band contest or other stuff you don`t have the time to set up your own amp so you have to use theirs...

But be sure to check the GT2 with your stack, it could be sounding prety bad actually, you never know...
dont rely on just a pedal for sound. u mite also wanna throw in for a small 10 band eq fotswitch, or get a digitech metal master. it has great distortion and a lot of different kinds of distortions. look here for your head http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-VYPYR-Tube-120H-120W-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=582107 and ur cab should be http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-BandMaster-VM-212-160W-2x12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=580900
I would prefer to have a clean amp, but that just me. I guess it all depends on what kind of music you will be playing. I play all kinds that's why I play through Fenders and a Roland JC. The Fender Twin I can drive harder to get it dirty, but I also like to play thru a clean channel and use my pedalboard to get my dirt as an option.