How do softwares like Superior Drummer and Steven Slate Drums work? Do you program the drums or do you have to play them in a keyboard?

Also, I have Pro Tools and I'm wondering, do they open as a plug-in in Pro Tools, or do they open separate, you create the drum track and then import it into Pro Tools?
They can work by either programming a MIDI file (Guitar Pro is a personal favourite for this), you set a MIDI track on whatever DAW you're using (Pro Tools should be fine) and putting the MIDI file on that track.

Or you can record the drums as you play them in via MIDI interface (electric drum kit is recommended but a MIDI Keyboard should work ok) onto the track you have used the Drum VSTi plugin with.
Sibelius should have a MIDI Export feature somewhere in the menu bar (File\Export\MIDI File most likely). So just do that, drag and drop the exported MIDI file into Pro Tools, delete the tracks you're not going to use (not Drums!) and assign a Drums VSTi Plugin to that track. At least, thats how it works on Cubase, Pro Tools shouldn't be much different(?).
Quote by Afroboy267
Sibelius should have a MIDI Export feature somewhere in the menu bar (File\Export\MIDI File most likely). So just do that, drag and drop the exported MIDI file into Pro Tools, delete the tracks you're not going to use (not Drums!) and assign a Drums VSTi Plugin to that track. At least, thats how it works on Cubase, Pro Tools shouldn't be much different(?).

OK, this is what happens. I import the MIDI file into Pro Tools, but when I play them, there is no sound. Do i have to convert them to audio files before importing?
Quote by Vitor_vdp
OK, this is what happens. I import the MIDI file into Pro Tools, but when I play them, there is no sound. Do i have to convert them to audio files before importing?

you need to put a plug in on the track, one that has drum sounds on it.
Quote by Vitor_vdp

Depending on what drum plugin you're using there are a few things you might be doing wrong. EZ Drummer works well if used on an Instrument Track, you can't insert it on a MIDI track. You can route the "output" of a MIDI track to control a plugin on an Instrument Track but that's just a waste of space. If you're still not getting audio you should check the routing of the various channels in EZ Drummer's internal mixer and then make sure that the Instrument Track it's inserted in also has a proper output enabled (the stereo Master or an AUX that feeds the stereo Master).

BFD works better on a stereo AUX and then controlling it from a MIDI track. BFD can take a bit of time to load up all the samples it uses, time pretty much depending on the size of the kit, so if you just import the MIDI file, insert the plugin and press play, there's a chance you won't have audio for a minute or so.

The first thing you should do is check two things about the MIDI file though. Open the MIDI Event List in ProTools and remove all controller data that Sibelius might have put there. It's possible that this is the reason you're not getting sound since Sibelius might be telling the MIDI file to use a specific sound/patch/instrument that doesn't match your drum plugin. You should also check to see that Sibelius doesn't use a non-GM setup for the various pieces of the drum kit. (Most of the drum plugins tend to deviate from the GM standard but all the important pieces usually have the same MIDI numbers: kick=36, snare=38 and so on.)
"If money is the root of all evil, I'd like to be a bad, bad man."

- Huey Lewis & the News