Hey guys,

I have an Ibanez 2630 from 1977 with the super 80's pups(flying fingers), 335 like. Is it a good idea to replace them for the Gibson classic '57?
I play jazz, or modern jazz, with some effects like delay and distortion.

THanks.
Thanks for the answer,
i have a fender deluxe reverb reissue and a roland jazz chorus 77.
I like Ben Monder's sound as well as rosenwinkel, scofield's and frisell's sound.
what do you think? Replace the super 80 by the classic 57? Or get a gibson 335?
Greetings
^ sooo, you increased your post count

Quote by pataya
Thanks for the answer,
I like Ben Monder's sound as well as rosenwinkel, scofield's and frisell's sound.
Greetings

I see. I just got a '59 I plan to put my Strat.

I'm really not a pickup guru but I'll see if I can get you some help.

I do know that you should very much consider getting in touch with CorduroyEW here on UG. Tell him what you want and he will hand wire you something. He has a great reputation and has always been extremely helpful to me whenever I had question.

Good luck.
Quote by pataya
Thanks for the answer,
Greetings

Rosenwinkel? Good man. I absolutely love Kurt. And Scofield.

The Super 80s are great pups but not really suited for Kurt's sound. Or Scofields or Frisell's. Kurt uses a bunch of different guitars. Most are loaded with PAFs or PAF type pups IIRC. Scofield uses whatever was in Ibanez's in the early 80s. Frisell is a bit odd. He's got a Duncan JB in the bridge, a Bartolini of some sort in the middle and a Tele pup in the neck. I'm not real familiar with him so I'm not sure of the tonal result.

I'd suggest something like Lollar Imperial Low Winds or Normal Winds. Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers for slightly cheaper.

That said, most of Kurt's tone comes from his modded Twin Reverb and his mic'd up and subtly mixed in singing along with his playing. Scofield's tone comes mostly from his AC30 and a Rat with the gain turned low. I'm not as familiar with Frisell.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i actually just got a heritage 555 and their HRW pups sound extremely balanced (or even better, as unbalanced as you want), are loaded with options, and produce complex chords with stunning clarity. i am kinda smitten by em.

unfortunately i am unaware of a gibson classic '57, which sounds like it might be a PAF clone. imo you can go better than any modern gibson stock pup (at least from a money/quality ratio). forsaken has a list from hell, so i won't even embarass myself by trying to list things
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae