Hi,

I have a Peavey Rockmaster tube preamp for early 90s. Currently using it on a Marshall Valvestate fx loop. What's the best way to run this? I'm looking into power amps, but it's pricey.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what's the best solid state amp to run tube preamps?

Thanks.
The Crate Powerblock can be found really cheap and will do the simple SS power amp thing well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I was going to run a Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp with a SS power amp once, then I decided that it was a bad idea.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Go from the 1 volt pre-amp out on the Peavey into the effects return on the Marshall.
You might wanna use a tube poweramp instead. Most SS poweramps won't be better than your Valvestate's poweramp.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Nothing in the send? I have had it send/return so far. I tried your suggestion - it's a more cutting, brighter tone.

Would the tone be radically different if I went into a tube combo, such as a Laney AOR instead of the Marshall?

Quote by 667
Go from the 1 volt pre-amp out on the Peavey into the effects return on the Marshall.
Quote by Nostoi
Nothing in the send? I have had it send/return so far. I tried your suggestion - it's a more cutting, brighter tone.

Would the tone be radically different if I went into a tube combo, such as a Laney AOR instead of the Marshall?

Maybe not RADICALLY different, but you'll get tube break-up and stuff, so it'll certainly sound different.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
How much are you willing to spend. You can have a nice Carvin TS100 tube power amp for $550 new. You can find them pretty cheap if you're willing to go used.
Quote by FuzzLove
I was going to run a Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp with a SS power amp once, then I decided that it was a bad idea.

That's what Kurt Cobain did at most shows from 1991 on, and it sounded pretty freakin amazing.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
About that much. I may consider opting for power amp/speaker set up, but I really know squat about that route. Can you recommend some other power amps for an 80s metal vibe to suit the Rockmaster?

Quote by i_am_metalhead
How much are you willing to spend. You can have a nice Carvin TS100 tube power amp for $550 new. You can find them pretty cheap if you're willing to go used.
Quote by Nostoi
About that much. I may consider opting for power amp/speaker set up, but I really know squat about that route. Can you recommend some other power amps for an 80s metal vibe to suit the Rockmaster?

I use a Carvin FET400 and it works pretty good, and is incredibly loud with my 2x12 cab. It's SS, but with '80s metal you'll want a pretty transparent power section anyway since the distortion you want's going to be in the preamp.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
That's right - my desire is to enhance the gain on the Rockmaster, not use amp distortion. Would a super clean SS like a Roland JC suit this purpose?

Quote by MortifiedLizard
I use a Carvin FET400 and it works pretty good, and is incredibly loud with my 2x12 cab. It's SS, but with '80s metal you'll want a pretty transparent power section anyway since the distortion you want's going to be in the preamp.
Well people have done it before and done well with that, but even the JC still has little bit of color in its tone- if you don't mind that, then it'll be fine. But if you want all of your tone to be from the Rockmaster, then I suggest a dedicated SS power amp.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Thanks, one final thing - got any experience with the Alesis RA-100?

Quote by MortifiedLizard
Well people have done it before and done well with that, but even the JC still has little bit of color in its tone- if you don't mind that, then it'll be fine. But if you want all of your tone to be from the Rockmaster, then I suggest a dedicated SS power amp.
Quote by Nostoi

Nope. Nothing to the send.

It's probably brighter because with the Peavey going into the return, the signal bypassed everything in the Marshall pre-section - so the Marshall isn't coloring it's tone. You're only using it's power secton at that point.