really stuck in trying to decide a pedal, i have a new amp sorted before any one beasts me for havin a line 6, i will be getting a new amp soon .
so i play metal ala, pantera, metallica, bullet for my valentine and other such bands.
iv decided i want go for either the boss metal zone, the mxr fullbore metal, the mxr dime distortion or the digitech tl-2

these are the only ones that have really grabbed my attention so if anyone has any pros cons of each i would appreciate some help i as i like them all but im totally stumped.

my overall budget is around £100 i could go more but preferably less and i am willing to buy used.

my new amp is goin to be a VHT special 6 head and cab and due to it not being made for metal per say i need the pedal to give it a bit more grrrrrrrrrr :P
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Fender Greta + 1x12 Homemade cabinet - For sale PM for details.
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 - Goldtop
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Regardless of another choice, avoid the Boss. It's a gritty, nasty pedal. My recommendation would be MXR's Fullbore pedal. It can go from pretty smooth crunch to some pretty brutal tones, which sound like a dynamic range you could use.
I play guitar in a ska band.
Modded MIM Strat > Fender Tuner > Bugera V55HD > Custom built 2x12
hmm thats the one i was edgeing towards i dont suppose you know anything about the noise gate it uses...it is anygud and such?
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
You could try Electro-Harmonix's Metal Muff. You can get a nice Pantera's tone with it.
Quite honestly you'd be better off taking the money you'd spend on the VHT, cab and pedal and spend it on an amp that is actually designed for high-gain. Will sound a lot better than forcing an amp that isn't made for those tones to get them with a pedal.

Out of the ones you listed I'd take the TL2, the metal zone and fullbore aren't great. Don't know the Dime Distortion, but if it sounds anything like what the name suggests, I'd rather have something different.

For high-gain on a tight budget, I like the EHX Metal Muff a lot.

But really, better get a high-gain amp instead, if you can.
that would only give me £260 and i really want to get into this whole tube shabbang for it, and i cant really see the 260 going very far in terms of hi gain tube, which is why i was going to settle on the VHT for £160 and then a pedal for £100
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
260 quid will score you a used Laney LC30, which is a modern-voiced rock amp. You might want to boost it a bit, so pick up a used Boss SD-1 or Digitech Bad Monkey for 20-30 at some point later.

If it has to be new, a Bugera V22 with one of said boosters will get you a nice enough metal tone.

Both of these options will sound better than the VHT with a pedal for metal.

A used Line6 Flextone III can be picked up for cheap used and sounds great for high-gain. It's not tube, but it's suitable for your music.
I'm with Duck on this really.

However if you insist on the VHT, disregard all those pedals and get a barber dirty bomb.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I'm not sure that a boosted amp will sound all that much better than the VHT in this price range. However, the Bugera V22 is a quality amp and you may want to look into that over the Special 6 anyways if you aren't planning on modding it. +1 to the Barber Dirty Bomb, that's what I came here to suggest.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
how heavy does the barber get, im not too sure on the sound clips iv heard on youtube, but yeh i would like the vht as i really like the sound of it and it means i can get a nice pedal, i dont want to blow the whole £260 on an amp as im hoping to upgrade again next year to a better amp.

sorry if im seeming a bit ungrateful for the info it is really appreciated am just heart set on this amp lol
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
sorry for the double post but iv been looking at some sound clips of the barber ( no one stocks it near here) and i really dont like it, has anyone had any experiance with the visual sounds son of hyde, i clicked on it by chance as again no one stocks it and i found myself really digging the tone. if anyoe has any experiance please let me know the general thoughts on this
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
From experience, I can tell you right now to not waste your money on a distortion pedal. Just get an amp that was meant for distortion. No pedal can get anywhere close to real tube distortion, and with your mindset, you're setting yourself up to fail.

I suggest to just keep saving up, and get something good. I've wasted way too much money on stupid gear and bad decisions. I could have had a really nice rig right now if I'd not, but I didn't have UG back then; I wasn't aware of it.

You should cut the crap and go straight for a 6505+ or something similar. Making little fixes along the way will waste tons of money and only make you marginally happy, but mostly frustrated.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^+1

Just keep using the Line 6 and save save save. It will be 100x more worth it than buying a pedal.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
that the problem there is practically no way i can save up for quite a large period of time which is why i was gunna use this one off bit of money to get some new gear
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
That's tough. If you won't have any money for a long time, definitely make the most out of this. Buying a new pedal is folly. Go used, and you can get 2 pedals for that much money. As far as an amp, keep a weather eye for a Bugera V22. It should fall into your budget Used, and I think you'll be a lot happier with it than with a little 6W VHT.

Pedals... Definitely keep an eye out for a Hardwire Metal Distortion pedal. With the other half of your allowance, try for a Boss NS-2, because a high gain metal pedal will cause a lot of unwanted noise.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
save up another £200 and get the peavey 6505+ 112
you won't regret it
sell your line 6 for a tad more cash aswell
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
i seriously cant save up any money wat so ever, i know that seems stupid but literally there is not a penny spare in my dwindling wallet lol

thanks for the help everyone
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Find a job?????
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I'm still saying a Bugera V22 would be a better idea:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_v22.htm

You already have an SD1, so you can boost the amp to do what you want it to.

Or look at a used Laney LC30 or a used Line6 Flextone III. There are no used LC30s on ebay.co.uk right now, but they pop up all the time and can be bought for less than 250 quid. Here's a Flextone:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Line-6-Flextone-III-1x12-Combo-/150486999878?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL&hash=item2309b96346#ht_618wt_911
i had a look at the bugera v22 and it is definately my cup of tea, however i also saw the bugera 6260 on thomann for like £255, that is definately my thing, but why is it soooo cheap iv seen it other places for like £400. Is there something dodgey about that price or is it all legit because if its good i am definately going for that..
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
The one that costs nearly 400 quid is the 6262, not the 6260. Where the big price difference comes from I don't know. But Thomann's legit.
dude i think you may have saved me at least a bit of heart ache, i think im going to check out this bugera 6260

I just hope its in stock when i get this bloody money :P
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
just an update, i dint get the VHT i got a blackstar ht-5 insted, and as well as that i did get the metal muff, shud be here tommorow or day after
Washburn Idol WMISTD
Ibanez RG LTD450CB1
Tanglewood TSE505
Zoom G2.1Nu
Dunlop CryBaby Wah