Page 1 of 4
BadAssChick
820 IQ
Hey guys,
I'm a bit pissed off at the moment...
I just got 2,3,1 stars ratings on 3 of my tabs that r totally correct. one of the ratings I believe was personal cuz the rater has another version of my tab and she got a bad rating.
the only reason I publish tabs is for the fans who want to play, like I did many times when I just wanted to know the tabs without too much work. but my good intentions I guess are unappreciated to the point that I don't want to tab anymore. I don't need to tab for myself, I know the chords!

I only care about the bad ratings cuz lets admit most of us don't click on a tab if it's below 4 stars, so I'm putting my time and then some "user" gives me 1 star for no reason (well, maybe they can't play basic chords) and no one will use my tab after that! That sucks!

Is there a way to erase the bad rating somehow????
I know I can block the user but what's the point the damage is already done
BadAssChick
820 IQ
Quote by Cris5949
well it seems like complaining solved your problem. check your ratings

haha yeah it did! who said complaining was bad? lol
thanks to all who rated!! you guys made my day!!!
365_days_gone
4,287 IQ
Quote by BadAssChick
haha yeah it did! who said complaining was bad? lol
thanks to all who rated!! you guys made my day!!!

...uh huh...
Quote by thankyougermany
I'm not in there
Nameless742
UG Fanatic
112 IQ
Yeah, it's cool.
People can be spiteful.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
groove.thang.
10 IQ
My account might be getting blocked for 30 days cause i voted 1 star for 3 in a row =/

Whoever voted 5 stars for all of them should get blocked too, right?

ohh internetz.
Oh, you DO want a free demo?
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.
2,840 IQ
What if someone honestly believed it deserved a bad rating? I don't know the quality of your tabs because even though I took a peek at them, I don't know any of those songs, and I generally don't look at chord charts anyways. But maybe someone did find errors?

If you can't take a little criticism now and then, UG is just not for you.
I can't help wondering things like "What's Bob Dylan doing now? Is he at home, eating a big bowl of corn flakes just like I will, later on when I return back home?"
KG6_Steven
Eats ponies for breakfast
1,108 IQ
Found a mistake in one of them. The D you have listed is actually a D5 (xx023x). Could that be what caused a markdown? Probably not, but one never knows what goes through the mind a UGer.
BadAssChick
820 IQ
Quote by groove.thang.
My account might be getting blocked for 30 days cause i voted 1 star for 3 in a row =/

Whoever voted 5 stars for all of them should get blocked too, right?

ohh internetz.

I doubt u even tried the tab before u gave it 1 star..

Quote by travislausch
What if someone honestly believed it deserved a bad rating? I don't know the quality of your tabs because even though I took a peek at them, I don't know any of those songs, and I generally don't look at chord charts anyways. But maybe someone did find errors?

If you can't take a little criticism now and then, UG is just not for you.

1 star is not "little criticism", like I said the tabs are fine..I check it million times before I post them, and I make them while playing along to the actual song..if I can't make a good tab I don't post.
plus I didn't ask for anyone to go and rate 5 stars blindly..u r all welcomed to check the tabs before u rate and give it whatever u see fair or not rate at all..

and also after every bad rating (except u groove.thang lol) I sent a msg to the rater to ask what's wrong..so I can fix (the problems that don't exist) but surprise..no one answered..

whatever! rate..don't rate.. less tabs in this awesome site for you, I only tried to help..
BadAssChick
820 IQ
Quote by KG6_Steven
Found a mistake in one of them. The D you have listed is actually a D5 (xx023x). Could that be what caused a markdown? Probably not, but one never knows what goes through the mind a UGer.

I think u r right..it's not the perfect chord there..but it's some kind of D..and it sounds ok with it..it's better than no tab at all..
travislausch
UG's Haibane Renmei fan.
2,840 IQ
I'm not saying your tabs are bad. But if someone thinks they are, aren't they entitled to their opinion and their right to rate a tab accordingly? Besides, how important are ratings, anyways? I've got a few tabs with low ratings and it doesn't hurt me any, I know they're not perfect.

Don't quit just because there might be a couple people here who don't like the quality of your tabs. Most of your tabs are rated 4-5 stars anyways. I'd say you're doing better than a lot of us.

On a personal note, I die a little inside every time I see "u r".
I can't help wondering things like "What's Bob Dylan doing now? Is he at home, eating a big bowl of corn flakes just like I will, later on when I return back home?"
emad
Rocker
10,448 IQ
fancypants1
It's not possible.

Cris5949
You got warned for tab rating abuse!

groove.thang.
You got warned for tab rating abuse, too.

travislausch
Good point, really.

BadAssChick
When you find your tab's been rated low, try contacting the user who's rated it and ask about it. If you don't get reply, don't attempt to fix it by yourself. You can make a thread here or pm me and explain the situation and we'll work it out.

Notice everyone!
We can see your rating!
The rating system is not a proper place for friendship. so avoid giving tabs the rating that they don't deserve.
Quote by zappp
emad I'm gonna ban you, seriously.
garykob
garykob
2,534 IQ
A thousand people have looked at my tab of Rocky Mountain Way which I worked hard on, and thought I did a nice job, but no one rated it:
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/joe_walsh/rocky_mountain_way_guitar_pro.htm
I finally get one rating, by user kingkab55, and it's only a 3?? I've never gotten less than a 4 for any of my tabs, so out of curiosity I private messaged kingkab55 to get some feedback why he thought my tab was just mediocre, but he didn't reply to me.
Last edited by garykob at Jun 26, 2012,
emad
Rocker
10,448 IQ
^your link doesn't work.
And c'mon, don't make a big deal out of this, it's just one 3 stars rating and it does nothing to your ug rank.
Quote by zappp
emad
Rocker
10,448 IQ
I could feel your pain. ok, just removed the rating.
Quote by zappp
garykob
garykob
2,534 IQ
Song: Jungleland
Artist: Bruce Springsteen
Version: GuitarPro6
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bruce_springsteen/jungleland_guitar_pro_1012855id_15102012date.htm

I think this is the best tab I've ever done. Took hundreds of hours to do. It previously had a 5 star rating by 2 people until recent new rating by user named jhut. Now rating is down to only a 4, so he had to have given me either a 1, 2, or 3. I'm thinking it was a mistake, so I private messaged him last week with no reply. Unfortunately Ultimate Guitar Bruce Springsteen tabs are all blocked in this country, (Does that mean jhut is in another country for him to be able get my tab?) Anyways if you want to check out the tab I have uploaded it to my Skydrive for you since it is too big to upload here even after I zipped it. This is the link:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=B51A626A29B2E79F#cid=B51A626A29B2E79F&id=B51A626A29B2E79F%211810
fanapathy
B-Tuned
1,802 IQ
^As hard as it is to get ratings at all, it's pretty awful when they're just done in spite and I think it's reasonable for mods to delete such votes

That is one amazing sounding gp6 file and I can't see how it's not 5 stars (I would rate but don't know the original song at all)

I wonder if you used default gp6 soundbanks or if you tweaked them a lot using the "amps" and what not. The organ sounds great, haven't been able to get anywhere near a decent organ sound myself but it might be the notes

I also wonder if there's a limit to tab size here. I'm doing a 16 minute song and it's about 450kb now, will probably be about 800 when done

Well done and unless the guy can explain himself well it's a retarded vote..as the ratio is so low for downloads/voters good tabs really need fair ratings. GL cheers
garykob
garykob
2,534 IQ
Thanks fanapathy. I've also always been amazed at how a thousand people can look at a good a tab I've done and I'm lucky to get one rating out of a thousand. I use the standard GP6 voices, for organ I usually use the default "Organ (Hammond-B3)" and then tweak the amplifiers, and gain. For organ I usually add the "Rotary" amplifier.
fanapathy
B-Tuned
1,802 IQ
Thanks for this. I didn't know such small adjustments could make that big of an effect

I'm trying to get the "church organ"-like sound for a section in a tab and find it pretty tough. Would you have any tips?

And yeah about tabs sadly the tabber rarely gets enough credit and hope that the rating system improves or encourages downloaders to vote more. And there are so many 5 star tabs with big mistakes out there as well, and if you make a better tab it won't get downloads because people will go for the (old) 5 star tab. Good luck in future projects
garykob
garykob
2,534 IQ
Church organ. Well the best I've done is with the organ soundbank called "Organ (Hammond-Full)", but that one you have to buy "additional keyboard soundbanks from GuitarPro: http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=soundbanks
and then use the equalizer to boost the highs, here is a picture of the equalizer settings:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=B51A626A29B2E79F#cid=B51A626A29B2E79F&id=B51A626A29B2E79F%215589

and link to an mp3 of the playback of the GuitarPro tab (Smokin') I used this on, the church organ starts at 2:44:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=B51A626A29B2E79F#cid=B51A626A29B2E79F&id=B51A626A29B2E79F%211810

If you don't want to pay extra, you might try these tricks: I leave instrument the default "Organ (Hammond-B3)" soundbank, but then I double the organ part an octave up (see example, I copy and paste the measures onto the 2nd layer and then use Tools->tranpose up an octave. After that I increase the highs on the equalizer, here is a picture of that setup, the doubled organ an octave up shows up you can see in grey in the second later of that instrument track:
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=B51A626A29B2E79F#cid=B51A626A29B2E79F&id=B51A626A29B2E79F%215590
fanapathy
B-Tuned
1,802 IQ
^This is awesome. Thank you so much. I already tried raising an octave on HammondB3 and it helped a lot.

I would want the extra soundbanks, the thing is just that, most people won't have them so I don't want to tab with them.

Again thanks a lot. I learned some new tricks from you
emad
Rocker
10,448 IQ
Quote by garykob
Song: Jungleland
Artist: Bruce Springsteen
Version: GuitarPro6
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/b/bruce_springsteen/jungleland_guitar_pro_1012855id_15102012date.htm

I think this is the best tab I've ever done. Took hundreds of hours to do. It previously had a 5 star rating by 2 people until recent new rating by user named jhut. Now rating is down to only a 4, so he had to have given me either a 1, 2, or 3. I'm thinking it was a mistake, so I private messaged him last week with no reply. Unfortunately Ultimate Guitar Bruce Springsteen tabs are all blocked in this country, (Does that mean jhut is in another country for him to be able get my tab?) Anyways if you want to check out the tab I have uploaded it to my Skydrive for you since it is too big to upload here even after I zipped it. This is the link:

Link broken!
Quote by zappp
emad
Rocker
10,448 IQ
AllJudasPriest is a tab mod. Pm her about that.
Quote by zappp
garykob
garykob
2,534 IQ
Thanks, I did message her. P.s., Emad, I'm still embarrassed that I once did that to one of your tabs (Supertramp, School), I rated yours a 3 after I had posted a newer version--lesson learned!
garykob
garykob
2,534 IQ
Sorry, me again. After hours of work, it stinks how easy it is for someone to take a few seconds and give a careless rating without any accountability, or even the courtesy of an explanation. I realize I may be the whiniest member ever, and that I could easily choose to just get over one more dumb rating, but when this happens it also screws with my motivation.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/rolling_stones/brown_sugar_ver4_guitar_pro.htm#comments

Brown Sugar, Guitar ProTab, Rolling Stones had a 5 star rating up until BarnabyJones123 most recent rating, so he probably gave me a 1,2, or at most a 3. I private messaged him for feedback, but of course, no reply. If I had a hundred ratings, one dumb one wouldn’t matter, but when only a few people rate, then one inaccurate rating really screws up the average.
garykob
garykob
2,534 IQ
Wow, thanks. You rock emad! It would be great though if there was some way to incorporate more responsibility and accountablility in a person's ability to rate someone else's tab.
fanapathy
B-Tuned
1,802 IQ
^Yeah this is weird. I don't know if it's a real problem but it kinda sounds like it. I could imagine someone throwing out a 1star if they are a newbie who don't have GP and are frustrated because they can't view the tab. Either that or a second account from a "competitive" tabber to make theirs look better. Or someone who just goes around and 1stars for the heck of it, they probably exist somehow. Ratings probably aren't monitored but if they were then such accounts should be disabled. I might have said it before, ratings are essential to get views for the tabs and almost nobody will even look at a 4 star tab (or unrated tab) if there are 1 or more 5 star tabs already available.

I think it's good that you report this though Gary, I've obviously seen some of your tabs and mind was blown at the quality.
There seems to be a new design just recently that might generate more frequent ratings, let's see how it turns out
garykob
garykob
2,534 IQ
Arrrgh! Me again, hope you’re not getting as tired of this as I am.

Can’t You Hear Me Knocking, Guitar ProTab, by Rolling Stones had a 5 star rating up until user Marti most recent rating, so he probably gave me a 1,2, or at most a 3. There is no way. This tab is badass. I private messaged him for feedback, but of course, no reply.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/rolling_stones/cant_you_hear_me_knocking_ver2_guitar_pro.htm
happysad
1,539 IQ
Quote by garykob
Arrrgh! Me again, hope you’re not getting as tired of this as I am.

Can’t You Hear Me Knocking, Guitar ProTab, by Rolling Stones had a 5 star rating up until user Marti most recent rating, so he probably gave me a 1,2, or at most a 3. There is no way. This tab is badass. I private messaged him for feedback, but of course, no reply.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/rolling_stones/cant_you_hear_me_knocking_ver2_guitar_pro.htm

Yes, that tab deserves 5 stars for sure.
garykob
garykob
2,534 IQ
Thanks for the support, happysad. Emad was kind enough to check and remove the first bad rating by Marti on my Can't You Hear Me Knocking last week, and darn it if 3 days later a different user http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Cbell1/ gave Can't You Hear Me Knocking another low (1,2 or 3) rating. http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/r/rolling_stones/cant_you_hear_me_knocking_ver2_guitar_pro.htm

Who are these users, and why would they do this? I checked Cbell1 and similar to Marti these are users with negligilble involvement on ultimateguitar.com--no posts, no information, certainly no contributions. Fanapathy in his previous post wondered if this rating behavior is malicious or intentional: [". . . I could imagine someone throwing out a 1star if they are a newbie who don't have GP and are frustrated because they can't view the tab. Either that or a second account from a "competitive" tabber to make theirs look better. Or someone who just goes around and 1stars for the heck of it, they probably exist somehow. . ."]. As usual I private messaged Cbell1 for feedback, but I have never gotten a reply when I do this.

I really hate having to keep bugging emad everytime this happens, but fortunately he has been willing to put up with me; and I have just put too much work into these tabs to let this go. For as good a tab as this is, out of 800 people who have looked at it, only 2 good ratings so far, I keep wondering if there is another solution for the website. Rather than just protecting the confidentiality of the raters, I think ultimate guitar should consider shifting more consideration to the tabbers, allow more transparency to the rating, let us see who rated what, ask the rater to leave a comment to justify the rating, and there should be an easier mechanism to challenge a malicious rating. (for example how about to make a link "report a bad rating" similar to the existing "report a bad tab")? Thanks, Gary
Last edited by garykob at Dec 31, 2012,
emad
Rocker
10,448 IQ
Your link doesn't work.
Just be patient, we're gonna do something about this.
Quote by zappp
Page 1 of 4