My birthday is coming up, do I want a new guitar or a new amp. I CAN'T DECIDE! what will pay off more?
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

An amp will have a more obvious effect.

Besides, you have 3 Gibsons. Go for the amp.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
You have some great guitars already, I'm especially jelous of your ES-137.

Also, there is nothing wrong with your amp unless you play metal or something, which judging by your guitars, you don't.

What is it that you feel that you're lacking exactly?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
We need more information!! Styles, budget etc
From your sig i know...
You have three guitars already, but all use 2 humbuckers.
You only have one amp.

Thus, I can ask:
Are humbuckers suited to your style of music, are any of them coil tapped etc, and would you go for a guitar with single coils? Not much point getting another gibson with 2 humbuckers, i'd say get an amp instead.
As you only have one amp, what do you think of it? Can it do cleans well but distortions not so well? In which case, get a new amp that does distortion better.
So yeah, need more information.
The only Single Coil Guitar I have is my Les Paul, but I feel P90s have a different sound then other "fender style" single coil guitars. I was thinking about a tele. But my amp doesn't sound to good. It's fine for my blues/rock/jazz, but its very limiting. And yes, the ES-137 is a fantastic guitar. It doesn't get enough credit.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

I say amp. The HRD isn't terribly versatile. A new amp will expand your tonal possibilities way more than a new guitar.

If you end up getting a guitar anyway, get something with single coils. G&L Legacy or PRS 305 or Swamp Ash Special. All sexylicious.
Quote by kracdown
The only Single Coil Guitar I have is my Les Paul, but I feel P90s have a different sound then other "fender style" single coil guitars. I was thinking about a tele. But my amp doesn't sound to good. It's fine for my blues/rock/jazz, but its very limiting. And yes, the ES-137 is a fantastic guitar. It doesn't get enough credit.

Oops, thought that had humbuckers
A tele is great for cleans, if thats what you want. Doesnt handle distortion as well as im guessing your gibsons would.
And you amp - limiting in what way exactly? Amount of styles? In which case a multi fx unit or modelling amp may be what you need, getting you a vast range of sounds for a fraction of the cost of individual stomp boxes.
You're right, P-90s sound different to usual Fender style single coils, especially in a mahogony guitar, but they are howver a lot closer to that sound than humbuckers are, and so you could probably hold out for a new guitar for a while.

It sounds like an amp would benifit you a lot more to be honest. Personally, I think the Fender Hotrod's cleans are brilliant, really nice, but the OD sucks balls, and so If you play high gain music, you'll need an amp that's good at that, you could even run it at the same time as your Hotrod with an A/B switch. So, tell us what kind of sound you'd be looking for from and amp, and your budget, and we'll reccommend you one.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
That PRS does sound pretty amazing, but I was thinking about a Luthier making me a custom Telecaster type guitar. I believe his guitars are perfection, but they are extremely expensive. Also, would 3 single coil pickups be better than two?
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Don't listen to me then.

You have enough money to have a luthier build you a custom guitar? So you can pretty much afford what you want?

As far as 3 singles or 2, depends what sound you're after.
Quote by kracdown
Also, would 3 single coil pickups be better than two?

Well, depends on the wiring IMO. If you could get individual on/off switches, phase switching, series parallel etc then yes. If its tele wiring vs strat wiring then it depends. I do love the tele "neck and bridge" twang, which you cant get from a strat without individual on offs. However, you cant get the mid only on a tele.
Id suggest try a few teles and strats and see which you prefer?
Also, my Luthier's guitars tend to be around $6,000. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on a single guitar at the moment.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Definitely a new amp, the HRD isn't bad, but you could do better considering what guitars you have.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
If you would even consider spending $6,000 you might as well get both a new amp AND guitar. Shit, a $2,000 amp would be amazing alone and that'd still leave you $4k for a guitar.

For that much maybe a Tom Anderson T Classic? Anderson Guitars offers a lot of Tele-style variants. Even one HSS 25.5" scale Tele/Strat hybrid. He builds to order, so you can choose nearly anything you want for it.
Quote by philipk
you have 3 gibson guitars, get a new amp

He just said he was looking at a tele. You try making any of his gibsons sound like a tele...
I say amp, because I really dislike HRDs, I find them to sound sterile in clean and plain terrible when overdriven

if you go for a guitar, I'd say go for a Fender of some sort, maybe telecaster?
as for an amp, depends on the tones you want, the obvious answer would be a dirty or crunchy amp that you'd use as an A/B with you hot rod as a clean amp =) that'd sound yummy
Quote by Darkflame
I say amp, because I really dislike HRDs, I find them to sound sterile in clean and plain terrible when overdriven

if you go for a guitar, I'd say go for a Fender of some sort, maybe telecaster?
as for an amp, depends on the tones you want, the obvious answer would be a dirty or crunchy amp that you'd use as an A/B with you hot rod as a clean amp =) that'd sound yummy

My idea was to get a Buddah or Dr. Z half stalk, get an A/B/ switch and use the HRD for the cleans, but I love new guitars! haha, but who doesn't?
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

$6k!

2 on an amp (mesa 5:5 2x12?) and 2-3 on a tasty strat (dirty dozen custom shop available at pro guitar shop?) leaving 1k for me (my price for this advice)
Fender Vintage Hot Rod 62 Stratocastor
Ibanez Artcore AS-103NT
->
TC Polytune
Xotic BB Preamp
Ibanez TS 808
Red Witch Empress
EHX Deluxe Memory Man XO
Carl Martin Hydra Boost
->
Fender Blues Deluxe
Quote by kracdown
My idea was to get a Buddah or Dr. Z half stalk, get an A/B/ switch and use the HRD for the cleans, but I love new guitars! haha, but who doesn't?

Overcome the temptation, man :P You have some great guitars right now, but honestly that HRD is probably holding them back. It's not a very good amp. A nice amp will make them sound twice as good.
My HRD sounds terrible with overdrive. I have a lot of individual stopboxes so a modeling amp is unnecessary. I play Blues, Rock, and Jazz. IN my three main bands i play Jazz, Blues, and indie rock.
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

Sounds like a Buddha or DR.Z might be just right for you. With stuff that expensive, you better spend some time in shops trying out every amp you can get your hands on.
You could find yourself a tasty Fender Twin Reverb Or maybe a Fender Bassman or even a Vox if you're feeling british.

Dr.Z is good. Audio Kitchen is good. Buddah. Honestly there's a TON of small boutique amp makers in the world that make stuff that falls right into your budget.
Quote by kracdown

that's true, but having a new amp feels as good as a new guitar when it's an amp you like ;-)

I personally have this kind of setup; my clean comes from a 1967 Fender Bassman (blackface) and my dirty comes from an Orange AD30, and it sounds amazing no matter what I do
I personally love Orange, so of course this is a great setup for me, but if you don't feel like getting one of them, get something else that'll be just as nice =)
how about something orange?
awesome amps
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
I would love a 1969 Twin reverb, but they are heavy as hell, aren't they?
Guitars:
Gibson Custom ES-137
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:

I'd get a new amp, possibly a Twin Reverb.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55