Now I know this isn't strictly building or customizing, but I figure it's close enough. I got a Squier Deluxe 5-string Active Jazz Bass last night (it's really awesome btw, was only $280 at the La Mesa GC this weekend) and the neck pickup didn't work. So, being half an hour away from the store and not wanting to exchange it I opened the control cavity and lo and behold someone had forgotten to solder the hot lead from the neck pickup to the blend pot. Now, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one since the wiring cavity is a bit more complicated with the active EQ circuit, but I still found it to be unacceptable in a new instrument.

Anyone else had some nice quality control issues they had to find and fix?
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Sep 5, 2010,
only issues with brand new guitars i've ever fixed (if i remember right)

-output jack's "hot" lead fell off of a p-bass of some sort
-dead fret on a low-end ibanez
-somewhat warped fender neck (just a tiny bit crooked. a turn or so of the truss rod and it played like butter)
-ridiculous action on my schecter. it's now incredibly smooth

all but the schecter were friends guitars.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Yeah, I bought an epiphone embassy V bass... half the wires weren't soldered. I'm not kidding. The action was horrible. There were a few other issues... never bought an epiphone again.
Volume pot on my first electric wasn't working. Of course, I was a newby, and didn't know this was a volume knob. I never took it back to get fixed. I'm still waiting for my brain to start working again, and remember to order the volume pot.
I remember those days. Just like they were only 6 years ago...
..I was watching my death.
Quote by PRSfanatic
Yeah, I bought an epiphone embassy V bass... half the wires weren't soldered. I'm not kidding. The action was horrible. There were a few other issues... never bought an epiphone again.

My brother has a Epip les paul. The ground for the strings wasn't hooked up. Also it was a sunburst guitar that they re-painted black because the sunburst was screwed up.
When i bought my Epi LP Jr. there was a chunk missing from the fretboard around frets 18-22, instead of filling it in or just hell...i dont know...NOT USING THAT FRETBOARD?! they just said hey we'll make it even SHITTIER by not finishing the fretwork down there either. it looked like they litterally stuck the frets in, clipped the ends and called it done on frets 20-22 and half assed 18 and 19
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
My brother has a Epip les paul. The ground for the strings wasn't hooked up. Also it was a sunburst guitar that they re-painted black because the sunburst was screwed up.

that's a pretty awesome story, no joke.

how'd you find out they repainted it?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
My guitar is not even solid wood. It's not even solid plywood. Found out when routing new space for the control cavity that there are actually chunks of goop, plywood, sawdust, and just plain air pockets, but Epi Special II, I wasn't expecting much, but that was still a disappointment when I though it was basswood.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by conor1148
that's a pretty awesome story, no joke.

how'd you find out they repainted it?

It shows through around hard edges such as the route for the electronics on the back. You can see the cherry coming through. Either that or it was red, either way it hasn't always been black haha. The only other problem I had with a guitar was my Agile AS-820 had shorted out tone caps when I got it, but Kurt at rondo music sent me a new wiring harness immediately and to top it off it was a cloth pushback wired harness with nice pots! Score! I love that guitar and that site, I'd buy another guitar there in an instant. 'Course by now I've completely done my own JP wiring so that's point's sorta negligible now haha.
Last edited by LeviMan_2001 at Sep 6, 2010,
Fender did that ALOT in the old days. probably still do. the repainting thing i mean.

my michael kelly vex nv has some leftover paint on inconspicuous areas of the binding. also the high-e side of the end of the 24th fret is not seated properly so if you really get into playing than the string smetimes gets caught under the fret end. idk why i never fixed it.

ther than that, though, this thing is flawless. i cant believe these are so hard to find.
a took a look at a friend's special edition jaguar and they had left out the ground wire from the bridge, MiJ apparently it's common enough.
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
Quote by Invader Jim
also the high-e side of the end of the 24th fret is not seated properly so if you really get into playing than the string smetimes gets caught under the fret end. idk why i never fixed it.

I have this problem on the 22nd fret of my Cort Zenox (it was bought second hand so I'll give Cort the benefit of the doubt). How would one go about fixing this? Is it just a case of clipping it a little bit or knocking it into the cut?
no, just make a caul for your drill press and press it back in after dabbing some superglue under the fret.

obviously the drill press is only for clamping pressure and shouldnt be ON. lol.
Quote by Invader Jim
Fender did that ALOT in the old days. probably still do. the repainting thing i mean. ...
Correct! This has been documented all over and even mentioned by the "historians" over at the Fender Forum.

The cheapest, brand new guitars I've bought were a bunch of Squier '51s when they closed out at $70 about 2 years ago. Without exception, all of them were close to flawless. Some had to have their actions lowered a bit or the PUs moved higher or lower.

Best Bang for the $$$ ever. I've given some of these as birthday gifts or to score points, etc. I still have the Sunburst and Black models in the box, unopened and I'm looking for the Blond one. They'll be opened in 20 or so years.