Im really looking to get the 80's tone from my guitar. Might aswell start with the pickups. I want to sound distorted like Skid Row, and Ozzy Osbourne.
What kind should I be looking at? Ive got an HSH setup on my guitar
i've said it before and i'll say it again, Dimarzio Super Distortion. in my mind there's no better pickup for 80's tones. they do other things very well too, but i think they're tops for this genre.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
i've said it before and i'll say it again, Dimarzio Super Distortion. in my mind there's no better pickup for 80's tones. they do other things very well too, but i think they're tops for this genre.

I was thinking about those. On musiciansfriend, theres a bunch of options like blue or red ones or F-spaced. Do these matter tonewise?
And also, where should I put it? Bridge or Neck? Or should I put one in each?
Quote by LifeIsABullet16

This.

I had them in the 80s... we all did.
Im definitely going to buy one of those SD's. But should I get two and put them in the bridge/neck positions?
Put the super distortion at the bridge and perhaps an air norton in neck position, gives a great warm solo tone.
Quote by xxIceManxx08
And the Amp im using is a Marshal G50RCD.

In that case, new pickups won't help you much. The G50 was one of Marshall's beginner amps some time back and what little improvement new pickups would get you won't justify the money you'd spend. We're talking about potentially several hundred bucks for new pups and it will basically sound the same.

What I'm trying to say is: You're wasting your time here. Take the money you put aside for the pups, add some more and look for a new amp. Pups are not going to help you.
Quote by Sledgeman
Put the super distortion at the bridge and perhaps an air norton in neck position, gives a great warm solo tone.

hell yeah! thats the combo i have in my tele deluxe now. love it. does a lot of music very very well! great combination of pickups
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by TheQuailman
In that case, new pickups won't help you much. The G50 was one of Marshall's beginner amps some time back and what little improvement new pickups would get you won't justify the money you'd spend. We're talking about potentially several hundred bucks for new pups and it will basically sound the same.

What I'm trying to say is: You're wasting your time here. Take the money you put aside for the pups, add some more and look for a new amp. Pups are not going to help you.

Im not so sure. The Amp is great, it has some of the best cleans Ive ever heard and with a distortion pedal it sounds amazing. Its just that my guitar has the Infinity pups from ibanez in them, and they arent too amazing.
What exactly is your sound lacking then? Maybe take your amp to a guitar store near you and try it with different guitars, to see how much of an improvement you can get.

No offense, but if you consider that amp great, you are probably very inexperienced and need to try out a lot more equipment. The cleans are very lackluster and a distortion pedal does not make a bad amp amazing - the amp is the foundation of your tone, if it isn't good, no pedals, pups or whatever else will give you a good tone.

I have the impression that you'd be better off trying out a lot more gear before buying anything, because you are running the risk of wasting a lot of cash otherwise.

My apologies if I have gotten the wrong impression here.

The Infinity pups, while not amazing, sound good enough through a good amp. Generally, if you have a tone problem, you have an amp problem. Your amp determines your tone, pups are for fine tuning. Super Distortions are nice, but they won't make much of a difference in your case.
i have a MG50rCD. got it like umm, i dont know how many years ago. seen below.

if you spend a couple hundred on your pickups, you'll notice some slight improvement
in your tone. but not $200 worth.

better use of money would be a good pedal or to eventually save for a better amp.
don't get me wrong. imo, you should save for a new amp. but if you really love your amp, then know that even a good pedal will define your tone better than pups.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 6, 2010,
If you want that 80's tone you need Dimarzio Super Distortions driving a Marshall JCM800 or a Soldano SLO (or a clone of same). Just running the pickups into your amp is simply not going to do it, not by a long shot.
Start saving your money.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by TheQuailman

+1

How are you so sure that the problem is your pickups, and not your amp, anyway?
Why don't you look into some of the JCM-800 clones like the Peavey Windsor or Sovtek MIG? A peavey VTM would sound pretty killer too. Also, check out the Bugera 1990.

An amp will bring you so much closer it isn't even funny. Well, you may laugh when you crank your amp. Rememer; these amps sound best at concert volume.

Active pickups sound very, very modern. You will probably be happier with something more along the lines of the DiMarzio SuperDistortion or Super 3, depending on how bright your guitar is.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Why don't you look into some of the JCM-800 clones like the Peavey Windsor or Sovtek MIG? A peavey VTM would sound pretty killer too. Also, check out the Bugera 1990.

An amp will bring you so much closer it isn't even funny. Well, you may laugh when you crank your amp. Rememer; these amps sound best at concert volume.

Active pickups sound very, very modern. You will probably be happier with something more along the lines of the DiMarzio SuperDistortion or Super 3, depending on how bright your guitar is.

He's right, you need the amp first. The amp is the main part, it's the only way to get close to the tone you want. Then you have to fine tune the tone with things like pickups and different guitars and strings. But you need the amp first.

I can speak for the 1990, i have one, it's perfect for 70's rock and 80's metal. It will do maiden priest ozzy metallica etc. all day long as well as the 70's rock of zeppelin lynyrd skynyrd etc.
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
I really think my amp is pretty good though. Sure there are better ones out there, but Im trying to get like a specific tone from the 80's and even 70's guitars. And yeah, my amp isnt the greatest but then again Ive only been playing for a year and a half. There is SOOO much stuff out there. And I just happen to live in an area that doesnt have a great music shop around.... But yeah, thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated.
Quote by LifeIsABullet16

Precisely.

And yeah, get a different amp, likea 50 watt Jet City for some more 80's style tones.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Sep 11, 2010,
Quote by EyeHatePunks
Bareknuckle Holy Diver Set and an Bareknuckle Irish Tour middle coil

This. So much this. I'm in love with my Holy Diver.

But more realistically, a Super Distortion is what you need brah.

Edit: Even more realistically, strike me down as another vote for a new amp.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Sep 11, 2010,