Searchbarred, found nothing relevant.

I want to know if there are any basslines which absolutely require a 5 string bass, either tuned with the low B or the high C.

I have a Yamaha 5-stringer sitting on its stand doing nothing since I quit worship playing, and it's a shame if I can't make more use of it.

Not too bothered genre-wise but something rocky would be nice. I know you can play Dream Theater on a 5er, as well as some Muse.
Fassa, the only way something would require a 5 string bass is if it spanned a lot more than 45 notes (2 octaves on 5 strings tuned to fourths and not counting bonus harmonics). That is hard to ask for, Fassa. Lower notes don't require more strings, neither do higher notes (you can retune to get both). Awkward positions can be alleviated with more strings or different tunings, but they don't require it. What about bands that fully utilize instead of require a 5 string? Sorry for arguing semantics.

Try the generic solution of Protest the Hero and Between the Buried and Me. A lot of their songs have very rocking basslines. You can just do the Jazz passages in BTBAM if you don't regularly like the music.

foodit: I think I should have said more than 40 notes (2 octaves on 4 strings tuned to fifths). You can tune to fourths and get bonus notes too. So I should have said "requires around 45 range of notes". Even then, tuning to fifths instead of fourths would give you plenty of notes.

THE POINT IS: nothing requires anything. Foodit foodit: please don't take that literally. Obviously playing guitar requires a guitar, but that is a tautalogy. The differences between a 4 and a 5 are notes and comfortability, both of which can be alleviated and the latter is SUBJECTIVE, thus not 'requires'.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Sep 5, 2010,
Can you explain what you meant by requires?

I still hold my opinion that I think Fortress and BTBAM are best played on a 5er
Now say his name.....
By 'require' do you mean, uses all 5 strings or you just want something that's played in either BEADG or EADGC and would just be easier to use a 5 string?
Quote by lordofthefood1
Can you explain what you meant by requires?

I still hold my opinion that I think Fortress and BTBAM are best played on a 5er

Something which uses all 5 strings. And preferably a song played by a bassist who regularly uses a 5er too.
That's the thing, you can use all 5 and just never go higher than 4th position. Anyway, I keep my answers with Protest the Hero (Fortress) and Between the Buried and Me (Any).
Now say his name.....
i think she is looking for something written to be played on a five string. that can be comfortably played on a 5 string whilst not being comfortable on a 4.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Quote by lordofthefood1
That's the thing, you can use all 5 and just never go higher than 4th position. Anyway, I keep my answers with Protest the Hero (Fortress) and Between the Buried and Me (Any).

Fortress can be done on a 4 it just requires some reworking of tabs, as for most BTBAM it could (notice I say could) be done on a heavily drop tuned 4 and some really awkward hand shifting. That being said having my 6 makes them both relatively easy (well not easy but it makes the fingerings easier).

TS not much will require you to use a 5th string (whether higher or lower) but it certainly makes it easier on you in some situations....I know I'm reiterating someone else's point but still
Quote by thunderbritches
Fortress can be done on a 4 it just requires some reworking of tabs, as for most BTBAM it could (notice I say could) be done on a heavily drop tuned 4 and some really awkward hand shifting. That being said having my 6 makes them both relatively easy (well not easy but it makes the fingerings easier).

TS not much will require you to use a 5th string (whether higher or lower) but it certainly makes it easier on you in some situations....I know I'm reiterating someone else's point but still

Did you read any of my posts? You could play Fortress on a three string bass! The point is that it utilizes all five strings and that is what Fassa is looking for. You 'could' play it on anything, but that isn't the point.
Now say his name.....
So what everyone basically agrees to is...no song requires a 5-string? Is that what I'm hearing?
yes, because technically you could tune your bass E0 E2 E4 and then have the fastest arm in the west.

this is all a bunch of technicality laden nonsense that isn't helping TS at all.

truths ugly head by nuclear rabbit has a cool tapping piece that can be played on a fiver with a low B. its a smidge easier on a six though, or a fiver in drop D with a high C
no sir away a papaya war is on
the 5th string on a 5 string bass covers B all the way to the E on the 5th fret and open 4th string. If you really need those notes, you can either tune to B standard on a 4 string or standard on a 5 string.

my personal opinion, I would just stune to B standard on a 4 string and buy some thicker strings. I prefer 4 strings over 5 stringers.
"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Last edited by LoweRider at Sep 7, 2010,
Quote by the_perdestrian
i think she is looking for something written to be played on a five string. that can be comfortably played on a 5 string whilst not being comfortable on a 4.

This is what I mean. I know you COULD play something written for 4er on a 5er, but for a lot of 5-string songs I've played on a 4er, I was having to use some really dodgy position shifts and fretting technique to sound good.

Another example is a song I learnt, D-Code by Alain Caron. It was written for 6 stringer, but I played it on a 5, and whilst it's playable, it's 10x easier for me to play on my friend's 6er.
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter. Well, their album Licht.
Here Comes the Kraken.
Ex Deo, I believe.
The metric system, bro, the metric system.
Quote by TheIrishPatriot
Have sex to Colors. Warning: You may never feel as epic ever again.
shake hands with beef and my name is mud by primus could be done on a 5er no problem. same with bob, but that requires some odd hand movement
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Cannibal Corpse. Im sure Alex Webster would be great place to improve your bass skills.
Too Many Religious People And Not Enough Lions
Quote by jeffmetalhead
Cannibal Corpse. Im sure Alex Webster would be great place to improve your bass skills.

Death metal FTW when it comes to 5 strings. I also suggest the band Cryptopsy, specifically their album "None So Vile." Lots of good bass licks.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
in flames, some megadeth uses 5 stringers.Also sure Trujillo uses one on some Metallica songs *shrugs*

Blackstar-Carcass is pretty easy but better played on a fiver.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
(I'm a) Complete noob to 5 stringers. I thought the 5 string bass was more for ease of tuning. Instead of having to tune up and down for metallica to slipknot, you can just ignore certain strings.
Last edited by SMbassist at Sep 11, 2010,
Webs - Fall of Troy

Good slow, nice and catchy song that uses all 5 strings im sure.
pinga
Quote by SMbassist
(I'm a) Complete noob to 5 stringers. I thought the 5 string bass was more for ease of tuning. Instead of having to tune up and down for metallica to slipknot, you can just ignore certain strings.

Just one of their many uses Another one would be economy of motion, having more notes in a given hand position.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by test1cles
Die Apokalyptischen Reiter. Well, their album Licht.
Here Comes the Kraken.
Ex Deo, I believe.

isnt Licht all C Standard tuning?

Also, any song by Carcass especially on the Heartwork album
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Sep 19, 2010,
VersaEmerge's Bassist Devon has a 5r. I'd look up "Persuing Design"
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Recommended threads
5 string bass
MindMyMind
Last post:
by lost_it_again