So, currently all I have to record with is a Snowball usb mic.

I plan to get a Shure SM57 as soon as I reasonably can however, to record guitars/bass with.

I was wondering though...
1. What would be a good condenser mic with which to record acoustic guitars and vocals? Or can I use the SM57 for this?
2. What about computer interfaces? The E-MU0404 has been recommended to me, and it seems good to me...
3. Finally, what would be a good, cheap [preferably free or downloadable ] program to program drums/keyboards/piano/strings with? Currently all I got is FL Studio...

Do bear in mind I'm a poor college student, and want to keep the price of all this very reasonable. The SM57 is about as high as I'll go for mic price, and such...

EDIT: Oh, and the program I plan to use to record/mix/master with is Reaper.

Thanks in advance! xD
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Sep 5, 2010,
3. you can program in tuxguitar, which is a free version of guitar pro and lets you export midi files that you can use in reaper. you can also just program it in reaper's midi editor, thats usually what i do now. keep in mind though, you'll need the actual plugins too, such as ezdrummer or whatever you want to use, because reaper doesnt have much as far as virtual instruments go
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
You can't record bass with a mic. You have to plug it in a DI. ^^,
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Well, you can, it's just not as good. Seeing as I don't own a bass, currently, I just record it on guitar and then shift it down an octave in Audacity/Reaper/whatever.
But yeah, I figured I'd also need a digital interface for bass. :/

And hm. Regarding plugins, any good ones you can suggest? And where can I find 'em? [are they just torrentable or...?]
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
Superior Drummer 2 for drums! (It's downloadable, but... *tsktsk*) You have so many mixing options with it! What's so fantastic with it is that even if you drill the kick drum as a machine gun it'll still sound realistic! Check out any of my songs in my sig for an example.
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Sep 5, 2010,
Oho, I like. A bit triggered for my taste, and the snare could be better, but I can play with that, I think.
It sounds really, really good... [and hell, I've yet to EVER hear a good snare sound in a program. ]

I'd buy it myself, but again... I'm poor... If I had a good job, maybe, but we'll see...
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
^ The snare is just mixed after my preferences (and I'm no pro). You can adjust volume on all of the snare drum mics, kick drum mics and overheads etc. Let me give you another example: http://www.myspace.com/chimpspanner This dude uses SD2 on all of his recordings. ^^,
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Wow... That sounded quite good as well. [just goin' drum wise. Not such a fan of the actual music. But the drums sounded great.]

Anyway though. Can anyone else give a good answer, especially for 1 or 2?
EDIT: The Shure SM58 and SM48 both seem like possible candidates?

Or, I could get all Carvin mic's, as I've heard they're amazing. And I play a Carvin guitar, which is fantastic. [and hell, the Carvin mic's would likely be cheaper than Shure...]
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
Quote by Burning_Angel
Wow... That sounded quite good as well. [just goin' drum wise. Not such a fan of the actual music. But the drums sounded great.]

Anyway though. Can anyone else give a good answer, especially for 1 or 2?
EDIT: The Shure SM58 and SM48 both seem like possible candidates?

Or, I could get all Carvin mic's, as I've heard they're amazing. And I play a Carvin guitar, which is fantastic. [and hell, the Carvin mic's would likely be cheaper than Shure...]

The SM58 is the same as a 57 just a different windscreen. The SM48 is good, I can hardly tell a difference between my 48,57,and58. Most of the time you'll be putting effects on vocals anyways, you can get whatever sound you like.. The different windscreens and diaphragms will sound slightly different, but a little EQ can get them sounding the same. Really versatile mics if you ask me, so go ahead and get that SM48 to save a couple bucks. It's my favorite mic by far, despite it's low cost. It's made in Mexico, so think of it as an MIM strat hahaha.

If you want a good condenser mic and want to keep it cheap, get a PG81 for acoustic stuff. But it won't be *that* great. I made a recording of my acoustic guitar today and used an SM81 (~$300) and it sounded perfect. The PG81 on the other hand, wasn't as good, but sounded better than just a SM57 on the guitar.

As for audio interfaces, get M-Audio or Line 6 or just like anything that gets good reviews. I have the Fast Track Pro and it's awesome. 24 bit audio, only 8.7ms of latency while recording 4 tracks at the same time, phantom power, and the preamps are great. Get it or it's younger brother, the Fast Track, if you have the money.

Good luck and happy recording Sorry i'm really tired right now my answer might not make sense.
Last edited by pdawson at Sep 6, 2010,
Thanks much!

As far as condenser mics, I think I'm actually gonna get a Carvin CM-87S. 130-150 bucks, as opposed to 2-300 seems great to me. [and Carvin is generally really, really high quality stuff. So.]

But yeah, otherwise, SM48 + M-Audio Fast Track MKII it is, it seems.
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
Last edited by Burning_Angel at Sep 6, 2010,
Quote by Burning_Angel
Thanks much!

As far as condenser mics, I think I'm actually gonna get a Carvin CM-87S. 130-150 bucks, as opposed to 2-300 seems great to me. [and Carvin is generally really, really high quality stuff. So.]

But yeah, otherwise, SM48 + M-Audio Fast Track MKII it is, it seems.

Sounds like a good plan. I forgot to mention that any of the Fast Track series comes with Ableton Live 8, some other guitar processing software, and a Pro Tools demo. So you should be set on software as well. I haven't used any Carvin mics, but based on reviews it seems more solid than a PG81.
Indeed it does... And if it's good enough I may not even need an SM48.

But yeah, I think I'm probably gonna stick to Reaper. Maybe I'll try Ableton, but judging by reviews the Pro Tools that comes with it is very limited...
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
^ You need Digidesign/Avid hardware to run Pro Tools anyways.
C4C
(or in my profile!)

Quote by BlisteringDDj
^ You need Digidesign/Avid hardware to run Pro Tools anyways.

M-Audio is made by Avid. But the Pro Tools that's included with it is just a demo. Ableton on the other hand, is the full version and has some awesome keyboard/synth/guitar sounds and effects built in.
Huh. That's really good to know. I wasn't aware that Ableton had some keyboards/effects built in to it. Perhaps I may convert to Ableton, then...
Quote by MoogleRancha

"I AM metal"
Quote by Burning_Angel
Huh. That's really good to know. I wasn't aware that Ableton had some keyboards/effects built in to it. Perhaps I may convert to Ableton, then...

Yeah it surprised me too. It's really easy to make "custom" instruments in it as well, and really dial in the tone you want. Ableton is pretty much my new best friend