Hello all,

Here is what I have:
I have a SSS Strat. I have bought the following Seymour Duncans online and are in the mail:

Cool Rails (neck)
Vintage Rails (neck) [will likely go in the middle position]
Hot Rails (bridge)

Here is what I want to do:
I would like to be able to coil tap all three of them, using push pull pots. I am not interested in cutting wood out of the guitar. Since I almost always play with the volume all the way up, is it possible to change out the volume knob for a third tone knob? That would leave the guitar without a volume knob. Is there a way that it can be "hardwired" to be at 10, so that I dont need a knob for it?

Also any recommendations on which pull pots? 500K? I am looking for a versatile tone. Blues, metal, classic rock.

Thanks!
Last edited by hh73 at Sep 5, 2010,
To the wiring thread with you!
Go on. There's only a few biters.

*reported for close*

EDIT:
I don't think I've ever seen a guitar without volume, except some walmart guitars. Even then, I think they have Volume knobs.

I use my volume knob way too much to get rid of it. Volme knob is how I get my sound clean.
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Sep 5, 2010,
Quote by timbit2006
I use my volume knob way too much to get rid of it. Volme knob is how I get my sound clean.

Same here. The volume knob can adjust your tone so much. I can leave my amp on the same settings and same channel, and completely adjust the sound I get from going from 1 to 10 on the volume knob. Plus it's nice to have when you want to turn the sound off if you're pausing between songs.

EDIT: I thought you could only coil split humbuckers?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Sep 5, 2010,
Quote by Koshman32
Same here. The volume knob can adjust your tone so much. I can leave my amp on the same settings and same channel, and completely adjust the sound I get from going from 1 to 10 on the volume knob. Plus it's nice to have when you want to turn the sound off if you're pausing between songs.

Volume knobs greatly influence tube amps. I can do metal, with my 1977 Ampeg VT-40, no pedals. Just the guitar. The amp has no built in distortion. More of a Black Sabbathy Doom Metal sound. Just scoop the treble a bit, and you are now Tony Iommi. Well, your sound may be. But you are not.

My MXR Smart gate handles the volume cut-off between songs. My setup is so noisy. the Smart Gate does wonders for it.
Quote by timbit2006
Volume knobs greatly influence tube amps. I can do metal, with my 1977 Ampeg VT-40, no pedals. Just the guitar. The amp has no built in distortion. More of a Black Sabbathy Doom Metal sound. Just scoop the treble a bit, and you are now Tony Iommi. Well, your sound may be. But you are not.

My MXR Smart gate handles the volume cut-off between songs. My setup is so noisy. the Smart Gate does wonders for it.

A noise gate does do wonders.
Another good feature of having the volume knob for me, solos. Depending on the song I'm playing, I'll usually keep it at 7, and when a solo comes along, crank it up to 10, get the full output of the pickups. And volume swells are fun to play around with.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Nikki Six doesn't a volume or tone knob on his bass just a on/off switch . He says in rock and roll it's either all or nothing.
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
I just re-installed my Multi-Effects pedal in my setup. I use it for the Volume pedal and tuner only. And also to kill my signal in case of emergency.
I also have it set up for a lead boost as well. Plan to get a Danelectro FAB overdrive for cheap, then just use that as the lead boost. Not like I really need a lead boost, 'cause I'm the only guitarist in my Metal band. I need to get a looper for my Rig though.

Volume swell + 1 single delay afterwards + a hint of phaser + a bit of Plate Reverb=very cool synth intro effects.
With my delay, I can make it sound like a helicopter or a motorcycle. Just hit the E string, and have it constantly loop. Fun stuff. Extremely fun to wake people up with.
Quote by roaddawg07
Nikki Six doesn't a volume or tone knob on his bass just a on/off switch . He says in rock and roll it's either all or nothing.

I thought Nikki Sixx was the guitarist?
All my life, thought he was the Guitarist.

Those pickups are single coil sized, but they are rail Humbuckers.
Some Teles have them. Common upgrade for a Tele or Strat if you want to do metal, or Hard rock. Single coils can be used for metal. I've proven this. To a small audience. I actually do not own a single guitar with a single coil in the bridge. Used to, but modded the Strat knock-off to have a humbucker. But, I will eventually coil tap it.