So I went out today to finally buy myself a tube amp. I came on here, looking for advice on an amp to invest in, seeing as I have trouble deciding on such things. So a suggestion I saw a lot was the Peavey 6505+, which looked like the best tube amp I could get in my range and for what I play. So I went down to Guitar Center because my friend is the one paying for it, and he had to use a debit card, so I figured we'd just go in because I'm impatient and don't like buying online, because I wanted to demo the amp first.

So I get down there, look around at a few others, and finally demo the 6505, and it sounded very good. The cleans were fine, the distortion was good, and it even sounded decent through my Metal Muff. So we pay, and get it home.

So. Now it's here. And suddenly it's a piece of shit. Oh sure, through the metal pedal it's fine and loud and heavy, but the cleans took a shit and died. When you turn it on, it's never quiet, it makes this static like hissing noise that's kind of soft in texture, but on the lead channel, when you turn it up, it get unbearable. The clean tone is raped, too. Not only that, even when you max out the volume settings, the ****ing cleans are still pretty quiet. Sure, maybe alright for practicing, okay, but this is a 60 watt ****ing amp, it should be louder.

To cut it short, I feel like I got hosed with freezing water. Is there anything I can do to fix this or is my ass gonna have to lug this fat ass ****er back to the store and get a new one?
Sounds like you have a faulty amp, you should take it back to the store and get a refund. Even if there is a way to fix it, you shouldn't have to if you just bought it brand new.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
? blown tube i think
power amp tube by the sounds of things as volume has been effected
might get the store to look it over first
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
I legitimately hate Guitar Center, since I've almost never bought something there that didn't need to get replaced (2/3 times I've shopped there I had this problem). I should have just bought online, but I really wanted to hear the amp with my guitar.
Quote by Anzio
So I went out today to finally buy myself a tube amp. I came on here, looking for advice on an amp to invest in, seeing as I have trouble deciding on such things. So a suggestion I saw a lot was the Peavey 6505+, which looked like the best tube amp I could get in my range and for what I play. So I went down to Guitar Center because my friend is the one paying for it, and he had to use a debit card, so I figured we'd just go in because I'm impatient and don't like buying online, because I wanted to demo the amp first.

So I get down there, look around at a few others, and finally demo the 6505, and it sounded very good. The cleans were fine, the distortion was good, and it even sounded decent through my Metal Muff. So we pay, and get it home.

So. Now it's here. And suddenly it's a piece of shit. Oh sure, through the metal pedal it's fine and loud and heavy, but the cleans took a shit and died. When you turn it on, it's never quiet, it makes this static like hissing noise that's kind of soft in texture, but on the lead channel, when you turn it up, it get unbearable. The clean tone is raped, too. Not only that, even when you max out the volume settings, the ****ing cleans are still pretty quiet. Sure, maybe alright for practicing, okay, but this is a 60 watt ****ing amp, it should be louder.

To cut it short, I feel like I got hosed with freezing water. Is there anything I can do to fix this or is my ass gonna have to lug this fat ass ****er back to the store and get a new one?

Shouldn't they die BEFORE they take a shit?

Anyways, your house might have crappy AC.
Quote by In The Mist
Shouldn't they die BEFORE they take a shit?

Anyways, your house might have crappy AC.

It goes either way.

How would I know if mt house can't power my amp? How would I even fix such a thing?

So I called Guitar Center, mostly to find out how to return it properly (Since it was bought on my friend's debit card and he can't come back with me there for a long while.) So my choices were to return it and get a new one when they get one in, which means I would get a brand new amp that hadn't been played at all and would be reserved for me. Or I could get store credit and get a different amp.

Of the amps I saw there, not much piqued my interest, though I did very much enjoy the Peavey Valveking and one of the Bugera's wasn't too bad.

So should I just return it and get a fresh one, or get store credit and get a cheaper amp and some other random shit?
Last edited by Anzio at Sep 5, 2010,
If you're happy with the tone of the amp that you have now (when it worked), get a replacement one of those, never settle for second best, you'll only regret it.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
If you're happy with the tone of the amp that you have now (when it worked), get a replacement one of those, never settle for second best, you'll only regret it.

I agree.

But keep in mind tubes aren't hideously expensive and they last quite a few years.

Also, I have the same amp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I agree.

But keep in mind tubes aren't hideously expensive and they last quite a few years.

Also, I have the same amp.

Nice

Yeah, I think I'll just take it back. I haven't owned a tube amp 'til now, I can wait the week until they get the new one in. It's kind of sad how if just one tube in an amp gets blown, it sounds worse than any of my solid state amps, and believe me, some of them have some seriously nothing to talk about tone (My Behringer) My Behringer is terrible). Good thing I have my little Harmony amp.
you know something bad is happening when quality control is now affecting Peavey amps.
they have been the most rock solid amps for a long time. yeah by random chance tubes could go, but a 6505 10 years ago would never of left the factory without being perfect and stable for years without needing maintenance.
Quote by surface54
you know something bad is happening when quality control is now affecting Peavey amps.
they have been the most rock solid amps for a long time. yeah by random chance tubes could go, but a 6505 10 years ago would never of left the factory without being perfect and stable for years without needing maintenance.

I think this is the 6505+ 112. It's made in China.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I think this is the 6505+ 112. It's made in China.

this is what im guessing too in this case.
odds are there is a bad poweramp tube in the amp and that's why it now sounds like crap. actually i had the same problem when I tried the same amp at a local shop (no volume). i told the guy at the store that there was something wrong and it was probably the poweramp tubes (he was a noob and said he'd tell the other guys that worked there to look into it, not sure if they will or not though, ha).

anyways remember that the 112 is a new amp and is being made in China (not USA) and a lot of companies tend to have similar problems when they start producing new amps overseas for the first year or two. also bear in mind that they usually put in sub-par tubes in the amps as well which is probably where the problem lies; therefore, a tube change would probably fix it. for your case if you can get a new amp then go for it unless GC wants to check the tubes for you and replace them for free? if they don't, then go for the new one and hope the tubes in it are good.
its probably a blown tube, which isnt too hard to fix, but i'd just wait for the new amp because theres no reason to pay to repair a brand new amp. and for the record, dont use your metal muff when you have an amp like the 6505, which has the perfect metal distortion
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Those come with crappy chinese tubes. A couple of JJ 6l6s will do wonders for that amp, and will bias right in the combos. The heads need the adjus. bias mod, but the 60 watt combos can be warmed up enough with the right power tubes. I wouldn't worry about the preamp tubes yet.
BTW Noise could be caused by the ridiculous amount of gain those amps can deliver. I never go above 5.
Quote by kenfrazee@gmail
Those come with crappy chinese tubes. A couple of JJ 6l6s will do wonders for that amp, and will bias right in the combos. The heads need the adjus. bias mod, but the 60 watt combos can be warmed up enough with the right power tubes. I wouldn't worry about the preamp tubes yet.
BTW Noise could be caused by the ridiculous amount of gain those amps can deliver. I never go above 5.

I find that I could get a good metal rhythm tone on a 6505 by just having the gain at 2.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
its probably a blown tube, which isnt too hard to fix, but i'd just wait for the new amp because theres no reason to pay to repair a brand new amp. and for the record, dont use your metal muff when you have an amp like the 6505, which has the perfect metal distortion

Yeah, I had heard, which is why I was confused as to why the amp sounded so bad without it. Honestly, I was just far too excited about owning my first tube amp that I didn't think about it enough.
TS, why the hell are you running a metal muff through a 6505? Are you on crack?

I guess you should take it back, but I find it really hard to believe that a Peavey just died on you in transit from store to home. Something is not right with your story...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X

Also, if you are running a Metal Muff through it, it sounds to me like you haven't developed a good ear for tube amps yet.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
My friend Jake rushed me in to buying it because he really wanted to go and doesn't know anything about amps. I felt something was askew, and looking back, I should have realized this at the store, because now that I think about it, the amp didn't sound very good at the store either, not like I thought I had heard. I dunno, I'm an impatient man, I let it get the better of me.

Also, I ran a metal muff through it because I was curious. Of course, the fact I considered it proved something was wrong from the get go.
Is it on both channels?

If not it sounds an awful lot like a blown preamp tube.
They're VERY cheap, and you only need one to swap around to see which one's the problem.
http://tubedepot.com/12ax7.html
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Maybe a faulty tube or just the amp is faulty itself? As long as you're in the 30 day return policy you're fine, just return for the full price you paid for it and go buy another amp that is not faulty itself. This is why i always shop in-store.
Quote by oneblackened
Is it on both channels?

If not it sounds an awful lot like a blown preamp tube.
They're VERY cheap, and you only need one to swap around to see which one's the problem.
http://tubedepot.com/12ax7.html

The lead channel can get loud, but it sounds absolutely awful. I mean, I would, but I am the kind of poor where the fact I even have this amp is lucky. I mean, it was 120 dollars off because I got it on Labor Day weekend, so it was 30 bucks off, and then on top of that we had a 15% off coupon, which is why I'd rather trade it in and get a new one without having to pay any extra money.