I got my first piano yesterday. I found out the notes that made each chord, then worked out the minors and 7 chords by myself by knowing my major scale, then noticing a pattern that all a minor chord is, is a major chord with the 3rd back a semi tone, I later found out this was the minor 3rd (through learning my minor scale). The same with 7 chords, all that is, is your seventh note moved back a semitone (again a minor seventh).

So about an hour ago, I taught myself (correctly, I know this for a fact) how to play Erik Satie's first Gnossienne. I know all the notes and have them all by memory (I still need to practise the piece, as I cannot play it without some pauses and slips). But I still worked it out by ear, all I knew was the chords.

So basically that's what i've done in just over 24 hours. Does this mean i'm a fast learner, a noob, or somebody who is going down the wrong road completely?

READ!!

This is not to gloat, it's just that I enjoy playing and i'd like some feedback on how i'm getting on. Thanks.

EDIT: It's a second hand electric piano. And I have no idea how I "offended" one guy..
Quote by vivalasteve
This one time, I was...erm...orgasming...but nonstop. It just wouldn't stop and, without being too graphic, basically was like how the blood was coming out of your mouth, then I got dehydrated and died. True story.
Last edited by extrememetal94 at Sep 5, 2010,
You probably need to be playing longer toreally see how good you are. I learnt how to play Enjoy The Silence by Depeche Mode within hours of getting a keyboard, as well as Fur Elise and Jesu, Joy Of Man's Desiring, as well as learning all the major chord positions and the inversions.
I take it you already play guitar (or another instrument)
So applying theory it to another instrument isn't that difficult, especially on the piano
But congrats anyway
You're awesome TS!!
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
its called dedication...look it up!
Quote by guitarlord28
I thought your avatar was slowpoke
Sounds pretty aveage if you play another instrument already
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
What's you're name, Mozart you say?!?!?
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Why would you buy a first piano if you hadn't some experience with piano? Seems peculiar to me. Of course there are various explanations but i choose to ignore them.
DOWN WITH THIS SORT OF THING
and
CAREFUL NOW

No man needs a holiday more than the man who has just had one.
if you already have a decent ear and know your theory that's not surprising really. Well done though.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Zolom
Why would you buy a first piano if you hadn't some experience with piano? Seems peculiar to me. Of course there are various explanations but i choose to ignore them.

I assume he meant keyboard
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
yeah if you know your theory (I'm assuming you do) than applying it to keyboard isn't too hard, especially with how simple the keys are laid out (repeating 12 keys, guitar has spaces of 4ths in strings and whatnot)

congrats anyways though! I've been playing piano since I was 10, it's an awesome instrument!
has a terrible signature.
Anyone who knows a bit of theory on guitar should have no trouble playing some basic chords and working out a simple song by ear.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Well, I suppose it was a normal sort of start.

It just pleases me that i'm a bit better at piano than guitar. I am TERRIBLE at guitar :P
Quote by vivalasteve
This one time, I was...erm...orgasming...but nonstop. It just wouldn't stop and, without being too graphic, basically was like how the blood was coming out of your mouth, then I got dehydrated and died. True story.