I need some help telling if my Fender Mexican Strat is a legit Fender body or not. I had to do some work on a pickup and when I took the pickguard off I noticed two things: first, the pick-guard is a Warmoth and second, there are three holes/indentions where it looks like volume or tone knob would go on a PRS type guitar.

The neck is a Fender MIM neck with no visible signs of alteration- the serial number dates to a 2000-2001 model. The guitar also has a Seymour Duncan humbucker and locking tuners.

When I took the neck off there were several markings on the neck pocket:

FEB 16 2001
?? MAR 200?
R
(B or D)29547
And one more that I can't make out.

Just wondering if any of these marking are normal for Fender bodies- I've been doing some searching around the net and I haven't found much.
Attachments:
fender (1 of 1).jpg
Last edited by prsman27 at Sep 5, 2010,
The stamps seem pretty normal (I think). I think they do a stamp for the body production date and another for the final assembly. As far as the holes I think they are for the routing machine that shapes and cuts the body. The pick guard was probably just changed at some point. You should be fine.
Quote by Ippon
The 3 holes are registration marks for MIM Fenders:

In older models, they form a triangle. Most MIAs have only 1.

Knowledge is power. Thanks Ippon, I learned something new.
Quote by Ippon

Thanks, Ippon. I looked around for a picture that had the three holes but didn't come up with anything- it just made me curious. Even if it had been something else I wouldn't be bothered, the guitar still sounds awesome.
Quote by Ippon

Huh. I always wondered why my old MIA Jazz Bass had a hole winged out. I figured some dumbass messed up the finish or something and covered it with the pickguard.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?