Hey guys, I've recently started to learn songs with tapping in them and tried making some of my own lines but one problem I keep getting is that I have a lot of background noise coming from the open strings I'm not playing. Are there any techniques to stop that from happening?
Quote by benonbass1
Tie a sock around the top of the neck where the frets start to mute the strings

this is cheating

the best way to solve your problem is simply to practice tapping exercises slowly and identifying what is causing the noise. If it's just sympathetic vibrations then you'll have to figure out a way of utilizing your fretting hand to mute the unused strings. If it's just sloppy hand work then practice practice practice
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
this is cheating

I'll have you know, Victor Wooten himself uses hair elastics for that very purpose
double thumb is also cheating. wooten is a cheater!

anywhoo, yeah just try to mute with your fretting hand as much as you can. also mute with your right. just mute, mute like crazy.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Yeah thats what I figured, I just have to rest my palm against the lower strings if im not using them. Thanks guys!