Does anyone have experience with teh Xaviere Teles and Strats? I've almost been persuaded away from Squier to Xaviere, but I would like some first hand opinions from some owners or previous owners of Xaviere guitars? Also, between the poplar and ash models, I don't know which tonewood to go with, so any advice there would be great, too.
i havent, been considering either a xaviere or a SX.

I have heard really good things about these guitars, but i have also heard bad things as well.
only thing i can say is try finding reviews, check youtube videos and maybe research the xaviere return policy.
They're great. IMO pretty close to if not on par with MIM Fenders for quality. Sound is obviously subjective but most people think that these sound better. They have GFS pickups in them and a lot of people with MIM's actually upgrade the stock pickups with the GFS stuff.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
^i'll take a mim anyday over one, bro.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

bro.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Quote by jj1565

excellent post. best one i've seen in a while.

seriously though, do you have personal experience with both, head to head?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Quote by jj1565

I would as well, but for less than half the price they're of similar quality. I've played one of their Tele copies back to back with an MIM Tele. The MIM played better but then again, it had been set up. As far as workmanship goes though, they were very similar. Soundwise I couldn't really say which was better. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of GFS pickups but I'm also not too big on whatever is stock in the MIM Fenderrs. If I were to get either I'd probably swap for some Lace sensors or something. Maybe something more vintage voiced actually seeing as how the Clapton already has Lace Sensors but that's a different subject entirely. Bottom line is if you can score an MIM for the price of an Xaviere, go for it. If not, the Xaviere is definitely a good option and IMO one of the best values in it's price range.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
the problem with xavs, which have been around forever, is that they are hit or miss and online.

i'd rather find a used MIM on craigslist, go out, play it and buy it if it's good.
most of those have been upgraded to duncans already anyway.

MEx strats off the shelf can be shoddy time to time, but at least you're standing right there with 10 to choose from, and a return policy.

as for head to head. i've tried gfs pups, after hearing about them all year on ug.
and seriously, i don't get the fuss.

mex pups aren't great, but why take the trouble to upgrade from eh, to meh.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Honestly, for reasons I am not going to go into detail about, I absolutely refuse to own an actual Fender, and would rather not own a Squier if I can avoid it. I need a good strat sound, though, so I was looking at Xavieres. Someone else said going with SX they have better necks and can upgrade nut, pickups, electronics, etc. and still come in at about the price of the Xaviere, but have a better end product. Someone else suggested that Peavey Predators are good stock for about the same price...any suggestions?
Honestly katalyzt, at that price point just try one or both. If they both suck, chalk it up as a loss and put them on CL or sell them to a friend or something. I mean not every piece of gear you're ever gonna buy is going to be something you love so much you'll keep it forever anyways, so just stick your neck out and you might get lucky.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
I know someone who got their Jazzmaster knockoff and it arrived with the pickup height all screwed up, neck was out of whack, intonation was a nightmare, etc etc . Moral of the story, don't buy a guitar you can't play first.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Sep 6, 2010,
Quote by MortifiedLizard
I know someone who got their Jazzmaster knockoff and it arrived with the pickup height all screwed up, neck was out of whack, intonation was a nightmare, etc etc . Moral of the story, don't buy a guitar you can't play first.

that is all just stuff that would be corrected during an initial setup, right? Or do you mean that the neck wasn't straight?
Quote by MortifiedLizard

I'm gonna go ahead and say that those things are a pain in the arse, but nothing that an even somewhat handy guitarist can't fix themselves. For under $200 bucks I'm expecting to do a little work, hell even my $600 epi lp needed about an hours work to make it fully playable.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Quote by katalyzt13
Honestly, for reasons I am not going to go into detail about, I absolutely refuse to own an actual Fender, and would rather not own a Squier if I can avoid it. I need a good strat sound, though, so I was looking at Xavieres. Someone else said going with SX they have better necks and can upgrade nut, pickups, electronics, etc. and still come in at about the price of the Xaviere, but have a better end product. Someone else suggested that Peavey Predators are good stock for about the same price...any suggestions?

there are a ton of strats out there, not fender.

if you have other starter gear already then dont waste your time collecting
yet another starter.

if you know you're only ever going to spend $200 and have to have a strat now, then check out yamaha 112s.

as far as neck, intonation and other issues go.
some things are not fixable. i mean, with a guitar like that, sometimes a
good setup still can't fix it.

this is why it's always ideal to be able to play the guitar first.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 6, 2010,
i don't even want to try one in case jenny gets word of it. you don't mess with jenny.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ insane!
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?