Page 1 of 4
Hullo everyone

As in the title, I'm moving to America soon (from England) and was hoping to get some advice.

"Advice about what?" I hear you cry! Well, I'm 21, never left home for more than 3 weeks, never worked full time for any meaningful period of time.
Yes, I've been slacking.
So what problems did you guys encounter when leaving home for the first time? Was the transition hard? Did the pros of living without supervision outweigh the cons of living without help? Anyone else moved/moving to a different country?

I feel ready for this, but I'm preparing for the worst I guess.

Also... anyone live in Columbus, Ohio? Be nice to have mates when im there

Thanks Pit!
Basically you rarely are living without help. I mean, the colleges tend to waiver in one way or another in giving you a lot of advice about things. Now, I do not know where you are attending, but where I go there are certain times that are best for everything. In the end, all you really need to decide is when to eat, and even that has guidelines you have to follow. Good luck though man, it really is not as hard as it seems (at least it wasn't for me).
<3 Beardfish

Quote by 'Leviathan'
I love you so much.

YAY!
Quote by metaldud536
I'm curious...why you coming here?

And why Ohio of all places?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by metaldud536

*see this..*

Quote by classicrockboy
USA USA USA

Christ, me too
Quote by metaldud536

LONG story, but the short version is that I just want to

Colombus specifically 'cos I know people there.
Quote by danielh123.
LONG story, but the short version is that I just want to

Colombus specifically 'cos I know people there.

Yea but is that really a good idea? I think our economy blows more than yours.
this thread interests me as a brit i will moving to NY for post grad law
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Wear maize and blue everywhere in Columbus. For me. GO BLUE!

(research the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry, you'll understand)
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by guitarsftw

I understand alright, GO BUCKEYES. I'm kidding, I couldn't care less, I'm more a "soccer" guy, I'll be rooting for The Crew... a bit

^^^ To metaldud - I think our respective economies are both ****ed enough for it to not matter TOO much, that being said I am aware that work will be hard to find at first. I have low standards, I'm hoping that might help!
Last edited by danielh123. at Sep 5, 2010,
Quote by metaldud536
Yea but is that really a good idea? I think our economy blows more than yours.

I think your economy is the least of his worries.

You'll be dealing with republicans.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by danielh123.
Hullo everyone

As in the title, I'm moving to America soon (from England) and was hoping to get some advice.

"Advice about what?" I hear you cry! Well, I'm 21, never left home for more than 3 weeks, never worked full time for any meaningful period of time.
Yes, I've been slacking.
So what problems did you guys encounter when leaving home for the first time? Was the transition hard? Did the pros of living without supervision outweigh the cons of living without help? Anyone else moved/moving to a different country?

I feel ready for this, but I'm preparing for the worst I guess.

Also... anyone live in Columbus, Ohio? Be nice to have mates when im there

Thanks Pit!

Me, hi. You can PM me TS.

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Cincinnati > Columbus

FUCK!
OFF!

Quote by guitarsftw

FUCK!
OFF!
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Sep 5, 2010,
When I graduated from high school I went to college in Vancouver BC at SFU.
I was completely irresponsible and first became a major alcoholic, then a major stoner. Then I found myself broke, with mediocre grades, and my parents had no desire to support me while I ****ed off and got a 2.0
Now I live with my dad back in Oregon. He pretty much treats me as if I were a roommate who was unrelated to him. It's pretty cool, his attitude seems to instill discipline in me. There was a while before moving back with him that I lived alone here as well, it was pretty much the same story as in Vancouver. Although I still should be more sober than I am, I don't neglect my responsibilities to get drunk or high.
That's my experience living alone.
@ Octavarium; I think you're making too many assumptions. Dan never said he was going to college. And I would hardly call going to college living alone, unless of course you support yourself as well. When I was at college, although living alone, I still wasn't fully responsible. I got a lot of financial support from my parents, it sounds like you're in the same boat. When it's your income that is paying for everything, it's a bit different.
Quote by danielh123.

^^^ To metaldud - I think our respective economies are both ****ed enough for it to not matter TOO much, that being said I am aware that work will be hard to find at first. I have low standards, I'm hoping that might help!

You'll have no trouble finding work with a charming British accent. lol
The economy really isn't nearly as bad as people make it sound. The value of assets are down, but it's really not all that hard to find a job, at least where I live.
Quote by KurdtStaley
You'll have no trouble finding work with a charming British accent. lol
The economy really isn't nearly as bad as people make it sound. The value of assets are down, but it's really not all that hard to find a job, at least where I live.

I have to say this has been my experience here as well, maybe I've just been lucky though.

I can sense an economic debate on the horizon
Rule one: Learn to enjoy American Rules football. It'll be easier to make friends if you do.
Rule two: It's corn, not maize.
Rule three: Teach yourself to spell colour, flavour, etc. without the "u".

If you follow these, you should have no problems in America.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by guitarsftw

You are my new internet hero. And an absolutely enormous asshole. You trying to get him killed.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
When I hear about people moving to the US, I admit it has to be for college. We may have a crap economy and primary education, but we are still unbeaten as far as institutions of higher learning go.
Quote by im not mental
use your british accent to sleep with tons of ohio state girls

Use a 5 dollar bill if you're not British.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by im not mental
use your british accent to sleep with tons of ohio state girls

the accent does seem to be popular, this is true

that being said, you're taking pride in a victory for guadalajara over man utd, may i ask the utd 11 for this match?

and with regards to learning more about american football, i have been taking small steps in this direction, but i figured nobody would like me NOT being passionate about it and would hate me even more if i pretended to care more than i do. it's interesting to me, nothing more
Tell your friends to move...Ohio sucks (sorry to be a downer). If you wanna have fun go to a place like New York City or LA or something.
EDIT: go to an Ohio State football game
Last edited by stratdud39 at Sep 5, 2010,
Quote by Jackal58
Use a 5 dollar bill if you're not British.

████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by danielh123.
the accent does seem to be popular, this is true

that being said, you're taking pride in a victory for guadalajara over man utd, may i ask the utd 11 for this match?

and with regards to learning more about american football, i have been taking small steps in this direction, but i figured nobody would like me NOT being passionate about it and would hate me even more if i pretended to care more than i do. it's interesting to me, nothing more

Just start watching it, there will be college games on this Saturday.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
...Ohio?

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Ohio kinda sucks...but just be nice to people here and you'll get it back. We're not all d-bags and fatasses like people like to believe.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Unless you have a lot of money set aside or you already have a job lined up here, I would seriously recommend you rethink your move and postpone it for a while. I can't see any legitimate reason to move across an ocean "because you feel like it" if you don't have your financial situation in check -- you'll be working a fairly shitty, low wage job for some time most likely.

But whatever...that's kind of what life's about :P Take a chance if you want I suppose.
Last edited by RockInPeaceDime at Sep 5, 2010,
I don't know why people are saying ohio sucks, we've got the best dank in the midwest!
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Unless you have some sort of structure to your life, eg. work you will find yourself eating and sleeping at irregular times, just because you know you're not going to get nagged.

I just moved into my new house today, I'm sharing with 10 other friends but the amount of responsibility terrifies me. Tomorrow I'll be going into town to sort out broadband/phone/tv and the thought that I'm about to become a bill paying responsible adult is pretty scary.

Make sure you keep on top of your bills, keep receipts and bank statements and file them all. If you don't, you will lose track of money easily.
Make sure you know basic stuff like cooking, cleaning, how you can live economically and how to use a washing machine etc. Get all the basic stuff sorted and keep your place tidy.
Don't panic, don't assume people will just sort it for you, don't assume people know what you want.

Also, get health insurance. No NHS over there.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by OddOneOut
Also, get health insurance. No NHS over there.

Tell that to the Tea Party zealots. Bringing up another tip: Avoid anyone remotely associated with the tea party.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Page 1 of 4