So I've decided it's time to start saving for my "amp to have for the rest of my life" amp, and I find it way easier to save if I know exactly what I'm saving for. And the amp I've currently got my eye on is a Splawn Quickrod, but I can't find out much about it, other than it's modeled after two of my favorite amps ever (the Plexi and the JCM 800). Basically I'm looking at any amp that can do good rock n' roll tones (AC/DC, the Architects (US band, look 'em up), Sex Pistols, ect), has an effects loop, takes pedals well, sounds like pure sex, and is under $2,000. I was hooked on Orange for quite some time, but this amp is changing my mind, and I just want more opinions on it.

Spark Notes Version: Tell me what you think of the Quick Rod.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Yeah, I realized I only listed the tones for the band I'm starting up. But on my own I also play some heavier stuff, nothing brutal, but like early Muse, which can get pretty gain-y. I'd also rather have more than I need than not enough, depending on how my taste may change. I hear the cleans are also a good improvement on the JCM, so there's that, and there's plenty of headroom at 100W.

Quote by bogg808

The Quickrod is amazing. It's the only I'd upgrade to from my VTM at this point, without utterly breaking the bank. And even then, it still would remain high on my list.

Really thick OD, but rounded off in all the right ways so as not to get fizzy or harsh. Smooth singing leads, man the QR has got it all, IMO.
I need to go play one again soon haha.
That's the thing, my favorite guitar store is a registered dealer, but they don't generally stock 'em because the local music scene (with some very awesome exceptions) is pretty weak.

Quote by bogg808

Hahaha, not really, I'm just looking for general opinions, any negatives people don't put in the demo videos, ya know? And it'll be at least a few months until I can even think about getting one. Maybe a Christmas thing??

Quote by bogg808

The first two are the one's I'm really interested in. The third probably wouldn't get much use, but the flexibility to get brutal would be awesome. I mean, if I drop close to $2k on an amp I'm expecting it to be damn near perfect.

The other thing I'm trying to understand: There's two channels, Clean and OD. And you set the OD channel to one of the three gears? Am I reading this right? Or can you switch between gears on the fly.

Quote by bogg808

3rd Gear is still pretty usable. I'd use it for Maylene & The Sons of Disaster covers, no doubt.

Clean, and OD. OD has three Voicings, or Gears, and then I believe there's a footswitch to switch to the rhythm or lead voicing on that Gear.

The Competition and Pro Stock can switch up/down one gear. So if you're on Gear 3, you can go to Gear 2. Or if you're on Gear 1 you can go to Gear 2.
Hmmm, how well does the Competition clean up? Because I've always liked single channel amps, buuuut I want some good cleans, ya know? And is it the same circuit as the quick rod minus the clean channel?

By the way, just listened to maylene for the first time, pretty awesome.

Quote by bogg808

Ya, they're probably my favorite contemporary right now, them and You, Me, & Everyone We Know.

The competition is supposed to be just a single channel QR, I've obviously never seen the inside, but Rhys what they say.
An 800 cleans up well, IMO. Not like immaculately, but well enough for my purposes. No idea on how the Comp does in this respect. Might wanna ask on the Splawb Boards.
As I look at more of their stuff I've decided their less-hardcore stuff is more my cup o tea, ie Step Up. I'm not a fan of the really screaming, unless it's hardcore punk, no idea why.

I'll go over there and ask about it though, because tgp is being of no help thus far...pricks. Hahah.

Quote by bogg808

Quick Rod is a killer amp, I used to have one. It's a great amp for Jamming and gigging, if you want it for anything less you'd be wasting your money though. At low volumes it doesn't sound that good (like you'd expect from any JCM800 or Plexi).

I didn't find the clean channel all that useful. I found you could clean up the OD channel to sound just as good as the clean channel itself. If I got another Splawn I'd probably go for the single channel model myself. Plus, with the single channel version you can use the foot switch for the gears instead of switching between channels.
Thanks, that's really what I was looking for. Also, if I'm looking at their site correctly, you can get any of the heads with any of the shells/tolex options?

Quote by bogg808

Just downloaded it

Also, I think I'm gonna go with the Competition, as of now. But I could still go with the Quick Rod, still up in the air...

Quote by bogg808

Yeah, I'm just use to it with the TT, so why not? And I don't really need jazz cleans, just clean enough for some softer moments. And if you put some subtle chorus on semi decent cleans, sounds like great cleans. Hahaha

Quote by bogg808

It does, which would be nice for home use. My only thing is that it's a tit on the bright side, but I can probably EQ that out.

And as far as chorus, get the MXR Micro Chorus, it's a good'n for cheap. Not quite as good as (my) stereo chorus, but we can't all be winners.

Quote by bogg808

I was talking about the Comp. The QR is teh secks.

Quote by bogg808

Well I poked around in their forum, and apparently removing the clean channel changes the tone of the dirty..?

Quote by bogg808

They are still pretty close though. I mean you would have to be wanting to go after the Splawn tone and the Splawn tone only to split hairs at this point. The Quick Rod is a dry amp and does not have the greatest clean channel but then again it is not trying to be Fender or a Dumble either. It is a nice clean Marshall tone that can get some breakup if pushed. There are other amps out there to look at. See below.

I think the Splawn sounds fine at bedroom levels. But man o man once you crank one you can really hear it come to life. It loves to be pushed hard. It is also very articulate so if you are not a polished guitarist (like me) then every mistake shows up big. The tone is really to die for imo. I'd get a Quick Rod and be done with it. You can mod in KT88s later. You can run it at half power. It also can crank out some serious metal. Metal to blues.

Otherwise:

Budget?
New or Used?
Home or Gig?
Genres played (fav artists)
Closest City?
Current Gear?
I heard that mentioned about not being polished, but I think that would help push me to play cleaner, which is one of my big focuses as a player. I think the QR might be worth the extra cash in the long run. Oh, and for other suggestions:

Budget? Sub $2,000
New or Used? Either
Home or Gig? Both(
Genres played: Sex Pistols esque punk tone, Muse, general rock n roll (think AC/DC), little bit of other random stuff.
Closest City? Columbus OH.
Current Gear? In sig, run into a Legend 2x12.

EDIT: I realize my "genres" section isn't very helpful, but I've never heard one artist and been like "I want THAT tone," I'm more into finding something that I can make as my own tone. I also use a lot of fuzz, so I get a good bit of dirty tone from OD+Fuzz.

Quote by bogg808

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Sep 6, 2010,
^Well, if you have half down you could have a Quick Rod made by Scott if you can wait - which it sounds like you can. You have quite a few months to make a decision. I would definitely be looking at used amps. The used amp market right now is unreal. Columbus is a pretty good sized music town.

PS: I know you listed your genres up front, it is my standard list

Watch craigslist to get an idea of what is selling around you and then be preparred to pull the trigger once something pops up. I think my next step is going to be a Splawn 212 cab with big blocks.

but yeah, nothing substitutes excellent build quality and craftsmanship......and lots of iron

I got a clip you might like....hold please.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 6, 2010,
Holding... By the way, why are you missing knobs/a tube?

Quote by bogg808

^ funny John

Quote by mcraddict81592
Holding... By the way, why are you missing knobs/a tube?

Sorry. I had trouble finding it. In the clips section of splawn board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqhgVXTEIcg&feature=related

http://splawnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=clips&action=display&thread=7599

oh, and I was biasing the amp and replacing the marshall knobs for chickenhead knobs
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 6, 2010,
That guy does some awesome axl vox, and the tone is awesome. I think I'm sold on the Quick Rod. Thanks guys, now I just need the cash.

Quote by bogg808

Soooo, I just got an offer for a white quick rod at $1395 shipped...thoughts?

Quote by bogg808

yeah that is a pretty good deal.

depends on what year it is, how old the tubes are etc.

I got mine for the same price but that was 1.5 years ago and mine is black and didn't need to be shipped either. You could probably talk down a bit.

I just ran across this one in NY when trying to help someone one something else. This one does not have the Gears though.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/msg/1940117602.html

Also use the link in my sig to search for gear.
Ba-Bump, just for some more opinions.

Quote by bogg808

The QuickRod is awesome. It's damn expensive though!

Maylene is awesome. I didn't realize there were other fans around. Caution was a great album, but they trumped it with III.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic