Hey guys, i appreciate all the help uve been giving me lately on my quest for a new amp. I need an amp that will play hard rock/metal (br00tz) for around $300 and it has to be able to play small gigs. I went to Guitar Center today and tried some stuff out. The tube amps sounded nice and they definitely do sound better than SS amps, but i don't think it's practical for me to get one considering my price range (are there any good ones for this little money?) Then, i tried out a used Fender Ultimate Chorus. It had nice cleans, the chorus was nice, and with the gain maxxed on the drive channel and my morley distortion plugged in, it didn't sound half bad. I could get a good metal tone. Well, do you guys think I should pick it up? ($200 used w/footswitch) or will I regret buying a fender for metal? Please recommend other suggestions! Thanks!!
For $300, your best bet would be a Peavey Vypyr or a Vox Valvetronix. I'm not too sure about a Fender for metal, but if you really like it, go for it.
For 300 you could get a raven. They are an off brand but have awesome cleans and pedals sound way good through them. The Rg100 would be good and plenty loud for small gigs. I have an RG200 and it's too loud for everything even medium gigs.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Skip the Raven. Good lord.

I'd head for the Vypyrs, Roland Cube 60s, used Line 6 Flextones...

Almost forgot about the Flextones. You may be able to find one for around $300, and if you can, I advise you jump on it. VERY good amp for the money.
I'll definitely look for a used Flextone. Also, do you think something like a Peavey Vypyr 75 will give me good hard rock/metal tones for a small gig size?
Quote by kmac1337
I'll definitely look for a used Flextone. Also, do you think something like a Peavey Vypyr 75 will give me good hard rock/metal tones for a small gig size?

Definitely. It's almost the only modeller this forum recommends for guitarists on a tight budget. If you can, try one out and see if you like it.