I saw this Gibson online for a good price, I'm thinking about buying it. It was supposedly a Sonex 180 DLX, but every Sonex 180 I've seen looks nothing like it. This one appears to have a Kahler. It has a strange 6 inline headstock rather than the normal 3x3. The Gibson logo was near the truss rod cover. Is it real or fake? Any info on the model is appreciated. Thanks!

Ibanez 540R
Ibanez RG1421F Prestige
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG120
Charvel 275DLX
Peavey Grind BXP 6-string Bass
Last edited by TheZombieRitual at Sep 5, 2010,
I would think it's fake. I've never seen a lp with the pickup selector switch down next to the volume and tone controls. Especially like you said with the inline six tuning heads. Weird guitar. The neck looks huge compared to the body.
Quote by xkreedx
I would think it's fake. I've never seen a lp with the pickup selector switch down next to the volume and tone controls. Especially like you said with the inline six tuning heads. Weird guitar. The neck looks huge compared to the body.

The Gibson Invader had the toggle switch by the controls. The invader was manufactured in the 80s and is now discontinued
At quick glance I want to say it's a fake, but you never really know. There's always those rare models that pop up, attempt to research it as much as possible.
It looks just like an invader.. but almost like an epiphone version, unless some hardware has been replaced at some point...

The headstock certainly doesnt look like it belongs on that guitar tho...
not a fake body, but not the original neck.
the sonex guitars everyone ive seen, all have a 3X3 headstock
http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/sonex.php
these were different from other gibsons because the sonex guitars sported a bolt on neck.
these also have the toggle next to the tone/volume controls. (never even seen that until i did a little exploring due to this thread)
i would say, save your money and pass on by.
Doesn't look fake, just looks like it's been modded. That headstock was on another Gibson Bolt-on guitar called the Corvus, so that's easy enough to swap out. As for the Kahler, Steve Clark (former Def Leppard guitarist) had them installed on a couple of his Les Pauls back in the '80s. That is more than likely the inspiration for routing out the Sonex. Also, the Sonex DID have it's selector switch next the volume/tone controls.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
With the info you guys gave me I did some research on the Corvus and Invader. It is definitly an invader body, possibly a Corvus neck. It might be stock too, look at what I dug up:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/woodphotos/2619189029/sizes/m/

the same model. So there are more out there. As for the Kahler, I found a picture of a red invader with a kahler. I'm thinking it's a factory installed kahler since the Invader had the standard stop bar and t.o.m. Bridge. If I'm not mistaken you need a stud mount kahler not the one on the Invaders I found.

So what do you guys think? Go for it? I have always wanted a Kahler system on a guitar.
Ibanez 540R
Ibanez RG1421F Prestige
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG120
Charvel 275DLX
I think it's pretty hawt actually..

am i crazy?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Gibson Invaders and this is an Invader were not bad guitars, I owned several over the years and they never cost me over $125.00 used. They are however getting harder to find and the prices have gone up since my Gibson collecting days.

If the price was right I would buy it.

John
Quote by xkreedx

they do exist - the model that i've seen is called "the paul", it's a budget flat-top les paul from the late '70s with an SG style bevelled edge and a control layout very similar to this.

but, as many have already pointed out, it's a gibson invader. it's probably not a fake. fakers probably don't even know guitars like this exist (although now i've said that it probably would give fakers an excuse to start making them...)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
So maybe by the end of the week I'll have enough cash to get it. Thanks for the help guys!
Ibanez 540R
Ibanez RG1421F Prestige
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG120
Charvel 275DLX
I wouldn't say its fake. Thought that last time about a really funny Gibson LP model and turned out to be legit, and a very good deal.

Fake or not, that would still be one sick guitar to have.
Interesting, you might be able to dig up something in my thread about oddball Gibsons that few guitarists today know ever existed. I agree with the Corvus neck and the Invader body, I might add your picture to the list of images I've already got going on inside my thread. Here's the link to said thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1166208

EDIT: Could be a neck from a WRC or possibly a Victory
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Sep 6, 2010,