what is a good 7 string guitar?
CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

IM NOT SPAMMING!!!!!
WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.
Budget?
Style?
Any wood or hardware preferences?

EDIT: There are a LOT of good 7 strings that vary in price from like $350-$2000+ we therefore need some specifics about what you're looking for.
Last edited by AkiraSpectrum at Sep 5, 2010,
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR. Really, I don't understand why more 7 strings don't use the extended scale like schecter does. Also, the Schecter c7 custom if you want passives. Ibanez's in my opinion feel cheap and sound thin.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
schecters are a good option too. i prefer the thinner necks of the ibanez guitars, but often ibanez puts cheap pickups in their guitars.
Originally Posted by strat0blaster
No matter what you like, you will like Meshuggah.

FREE GUITAR STRINGS!
Quote by shaggydogJV
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR. Really, I don't understand why more 7 strings don't use the extended scale like schecter does. Also, the Schecter c7 custom if you want passives. Ibanez's in my opinion feel cheap and sound thin.

+1
Schecters are great guitars... I personally own a few. (Hellraiser C-7 being one of them)
Ill refer you to the 7 String Legion link in my sig. If you ask in there you'll get sound advice from a dedicated group of 7 string + players.
Quote by shaggydogJV

hey shaggydogJV, i've been searching for a 7 string myself, my current goal are the ibanez S7420. Now that you've mentioned Shecter C7 custom i google it and think it's can rival the S7420 and maybe even better. Now in your opinion, which one is "better"?

Many people said that ibanez s7420 stock pickup werent that good, Shecter C7 custom have seymour duncan that come with a coil split, thats a big win for shecter. +2 ( seymour duncan pickup + coil split )

However i like the body and neck of the ibanez S7420, and heard that Shecter 7 string guitar neck is more thick. - 1
Are the shecter neck really that uncomfortable?
EBMM JP7
mayones regius custom 7
etc.
etc.

schecters dont even come to close them

^comfort is highly subjective
Quote by teo_huat
hey shaggydogJV, i've been searching for a 7 string myself, my current goal are the ibanez S7420. Now that you've mentioned Shecter C7 custom i google it and think it's can rival the S7420 and maybe even better. Now in your opinion, which one is "better"?

Many people said that ibanez s7420 stock pickup werent that good, Shecter C7 custom have seymour duncan that come with a coil split, thats a big win for shecter. +2 ( seymour duncan pickup + coil split )

However i like the body and neck of the ibanez S7420, and heard that Shecter 7 string guitar neck is more thick. - 1
Are the shecter neck really that uncomfortable?

They are in no way uncomfortable. People tend to exaggerate how thick the neck actually is. Think along the lines of a Strat. Also, that 26.5" scale length on the Schecter will give you the ability to do drop tunings if the need ever arises. Plus, its a mahogany body with a maple top, which is a HUGE plus in my book.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
IMO,as far as getting the best while spending the least is concerned,you can't go wrong with a used RG7620.

- Lo-Pro 7 trem
- High quality MIJ construction
- DiMarzio pups
- Ghoto tuners

You can usually find them for around $500-$700 on the used market,depending on their condition and who's selling.

Also,Carvin makes fantastic custom 7 string models.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I hope that neck wouldn't be that much of a difference though. How heavy is the body? And it is made in korea~ Better than the S7320 which is made in indonesia. Korea > Indonesia ??
Quote by teo_huat
I hope that neck wouldn't be that much of a difference though. How heavy is the body? And it is made in korea~ Better than the S7320 which is made in indonesia. Korea > Indonesia ??

Being made somewhere doesn't automatically make a guitar better.It's more the quality control and workmanship of a brand and the preferences of the individual player that make one guitar superior to another,not what country it was built in.

Quote by AkiraSpectrum
Budget?
Style?
Any wood or hardware preferences?

EDIT: There are a LOT of good 7 strings that vary in price from like $350-$2000+ we therefore need some specifics about what you're looking for.

budget $500 australian dollars

specs: metal guitar

IM NOT SPAMMING!!!!!
I think 500 aud is about $450 US dollars. With this budget you'd be looking at an intro level 7 string.

Here are some popular options in your price range:

Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter Damien 7
LTD SC-207
Agile Septor Std 725
Australian dollars immediately rules out Agile since they don't ship to Australia or most places that are not the Continental US, UG must learn this! Also note that a straight currency translation isn't necessarily the best way to figure out a price range, since guitars in Australia are far more expensive than they are in say... the Continental US.

Having said this, the poster 2 above me is right, you're looking at an intro 7. As for models.... can't help you there since I don't know the markup where you are, but the models listed above (outside of the Agile) sound about right.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by onemanarmy9
Australian dollars immediately rules out Agile since they don't ship to Australia or most places that are not the Continental US, UG must learn this! Also note that a straight currency translation isn't necessarily the best way to figure out a price range, since guitars in Australia are far more expensive than they are in say... the Continental US.

Having said this, the poster 2 above me is right, you're looking at an intro 7. As for models.... can't help you there since I don't know the markup where you are, but the models listed above (outside of the Agile) sound about right.

Yeah I know a lot of companies mark up their prices quite a bit and don't ship certain models and so on, just didn't know any specifics but its good to know Agile doesn't ship outside the US region

If the TS could provide an Australian music site UG can take a look at the 7's available and give you a more definite answer.
If your budget is 500 AUS...Get an Ibanez RG7321 and put some better pups in it when you can afford em, emg 707's or john petrucci's sig Dimarzios spring to mind...
Quote by AkiraSpectrum
I think 500 aud is about $450 US dollars. With this budget you'd be looking at an intro level 7 string.

Here are some popular options in your price range:

Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter Damien 7
LTD SC-207
Agile Septor Std 725

500 aud is 600 usd

IM NOT SPAMMING!!!!!
Quote by thommoboy
500 aud is 600 usd

No.

500.00 AUD = 464.941 USD

Quote by Pr0gNut
IMO,as far as getting the best while spending the least is concerned,you can't go wrong with a used RG7620.

+1. I have an RG7621 (fixed bridge model) and it feels so much better than any Schetcher ive ever played (a fair few). I want to like Shecters but they feel like ass compared to MIJ Ibanez in my hands...
Quote by Wesbanez
+1. I have an RG7621 (fixed bridge model) and it feels so much better than any Schetcher ive ever played (a fair few). I want to like Shecters but they feel like ass compared to MIJ Ibanez in my hands...

Indeed,they really are great guitars for the money.I don't mind six string Schecters,but their 7's feel a bit odd to me,and I need a thin neck with a 7 just for the comfort factor.

Also,TS,don't steal my sig you jive turkey

Quote by onemanarmy9
Australian dollars immediately rules out Agile since they don't ship to Australia or most places that are not the Continental US, UG must learn this!

They ship to the UK, Scandinavia, and most of Europe. I'm pretty sure they ship to Aus too.

On topic, I'd probably get an RG7321 and a pup swap. Used if possible. Although if you're going used anyway, I'd look for some of the other higher end RG 7's like was suggested.
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Sep 12, 2010,
First of all, $500 will not be enough to get a decent 7 string. Everyone who has posted in this thread must understand that Australia bumps up the price of music equipment by about 30% for some stupid reason.
http://www.billyhydemusic.com.au/shop/browse/26/guitars/electric/
http://www.musiciansuniverse.com.au/l10-b0-0/guitars/7-8-string-guitars/
Those are two Australia websites, the first one is the most common guitar store, the second one is probably the cheapest for 7 and 8 strings although they don't stock Schecter.
So you're going to have to look for a second hand guitar or ship from the US. Remember that shipping from the US is about $120 so that really only leaves you with $380.

My advice, save up for a while longer, maybe sell off some of your unwanted gear and get enough money to be able to buy a decent guitar.

In regards to the Schecter neck thickness, the necks arent THAT thick, they are thicker than Ibanez, but theyre also more rounded and not flat like the Ibanez, I personally prefer the Schecter necks, I find them more comfortable.