I have never been able to get a good track out of a mic'd amp. I just would like to know what I need to record an amp so that it sounds like an amp, not a 2 dimensional buzzy mess.
Quote by enselmis
Well what's your budget?
What do you have already?
What style are you recording?
Do you have a DAW?
What kind of guitar and amp?

Mackie Onyx is my recording device, I have a couple condensors and one dynamic I record with
Mess with the mic placement. Move it back a few inches, place it off-axis, not facing the speaker directly, not trained on the center of the cone, on different angles, hell, try putting things over it and between it and the amp. You never know what'll get you a good tone, I couldn't get a good sound from my amp until I learned there were ways to mic it other than shoving a mic straight up to the grille cloth straight towards the center of the speaker.

Also, turn the gain down; Distortion is higher on recordings than it is in-person usually. Different mics as well; I could never get a good sound on my amp with an Audix i5 much as I loved it for vocals and acoustics, but an SM57 doesn't seem to know how to get a bad sound. See what filters and compressors and other fun toys to change the sound before it gets put onto record, see if any of them get the job done.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by patriotplayer90
Mackie Onyx is my recording device, I have a couple condensors and one dynamic I record with

which mackie onyx, there are a bunch of them. a bunch are really mixers with no recording output, but there are some that look decent. gotta make sure you are using one with USB/firewire and not still running into your onboard soundcard.

what mics are we talking about here? a couple condensors could be anything, and a dynamic could be anything from a rock band mic to something actually awesome. again, have to make sure you have at least one mic that is right for the application.

and what amp are you micing? this also makes a huge difference. if you have a low end $50 practice amp, it might actually sound like a 2D buzzy mess. if youve got a nice amp, well then there is a lot you can work on to make it sound good.

first step is to make sure youve got the right tools for the job. sounds like you have some decent stuff, just need to solidify what it actually is.
next step is to work on mic placement, as necrosis suggested. if you are currently sticking that dynamic mic straight on the cone 1/2" back from the grille, move it back and a bit towards the edge of the speaker. ill typically stick a dynamic mic 3-6" from the speaker (not the grille) and work from there. if you are using a condensor, i typically got a foot or two back (more if i want more natural reverb). condensors are usually better for clean or clean-ish sounds and not heavy gain, at least in my experience.
I have a couple things to say that will get you a long way into recording.

First, buy the best flat response monitors you possibly can. They are hands down the most important tool you have. Hell, you don't even need an amp, just get nice monitors.

Second, DO NOT USE AUDACITY EVER!!! EVER!!! Reaper is another recording program which is also free, but unlike Audacity it's comparable to actual programs they use in the studio like Pro-Tools or Logic, and it comes with a host of really nice free plugins.

Third, try to do as little post processing as humanly possible. By post processing, I mean altering the sound with EQ's and compressors and anything else AFTER actually recording it. It's always better to get as close as possible to the tone you want first and not trying to fix it after. This goes for every instrument.

Also, experiment as much as possible. Putting time in is the only way things will ever get better. Do research on other forums (the andy sneap forum is a wealth of recording information) and look up articles online. It's all practice.

These are just some general tips. If you have any questions later on, PM me.

Sorry if I went a bit overboard.
Thanks alot guys.

I have a Mackie Onyx Satellite recording interface.

The condensors are sterling audio st55 and studio projects b1

I couldn't tell you the name of the dynamic, I actually think its made for vocal performance in a live setting so it probably wouldn't be good.

But yeah I play with quality guitar amps so they definitely wouldn't be the problem
no experience with that interface, but it looks good, so weve got that out of the way. and if you say youve got good amps, then weve got that out of the way too.

for the mics, i would probably go with the b1 on the amp. no real experience with either, but after spending 5 minutes looking them up it seems as if the st55 is more suited towards vocals and the b1 might be better on your speaker.

id skip the dynamic for now, and see what you can do with the b1. mess with mic placement and stuff, see if you can get something going.
Don't expect your amp to sound the same on a recording as it does in the room, if you think about it, the mic picks up what you would hear if your ear was right next to the speaker cone, without any of the dissipation. You'll usually have to tweak the EQ on your amp a bit and you don't need any where near as much gain when recording, as opposed to just practicing/playing.

Also, don't scoop your mids unless your amp is really mid heavy in the first place, and remember to double/quad track the rhythm parts to get a fatter/bigger sound.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Sep 7, 2010,