Whilst I can play piano really well, I really can't compose too well. So far I've just been playing and writing what sounds good, with little heed paid to theory or structure.

Does anyone know how I go about learning how to properly compose for piano or keyboard? I'm not too bothered about learning to sequence or any of the synth-type stuff.

I'm going to guess that composing for piano is similar to composing for guitar and bass together...I dunno.

Any help?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I'm going to guess that composing for piano is similar to composing for guitar and bass together...I dunno.

yeah, it's a bit like that, although I find it to be more like writing for a lead guitar and rhythm guitar. one thing that helped me a bit was learning to arrange some of my guitar pieces for keyboards. other than that, there's always just trying to come up with things that are similar to other things you know how to play. and that's really all I got, hope it helps, if not, I tried.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
It's not much different from composing for any other instrument besides stylistic differences (which should be no problem if you're super into piano). EDIT: I really underplay stylistic differences here in retrospect. For example, you're more likely to attempt to develop independent voices on a piano than on a guitar.

I suggest starting at musictheory.net for theory purposes. Another thing you need to do is practice. I have at least 45 songs under my belt, and probably about 90 half finished ones, and I'm not even remotely satisfied with my skill. Write often.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at Sep 5, 2010,
Learn a bunch of piano music, then study what makes it so "pianistic" or what elements in it are characteristic of the piano. String bending is characteristic of guitar, just like how rolling chords is characteristic of the piano. Once you get that, then apply the theory to it and just jam a lot.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
So far I've just been playing and writing what sounds good, with little heed paid to theory or structure.
I see no inherent problem with that. If it works, it works.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea