So after viewing the new The Devil Wears Prada live music video, I realized something crazy:

In four years they went from playing gigs like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTUfeNzhrLA

to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_QM19GsIO4&feature=player_embedded

It was kind of mindblowing to have followed them all the way up to this point. They were the first metalcore band I really got into, with the first music video being the first bit of live footage I'd ever seen that wasn't huge bands like Sabbath or Maiden.

Anyone else have those kind of bands?
I remember catching Lamb of God when they were on the rise. Like almost every band, they started out playing for tiny crowds, but now their audience is gigantic.
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
You're so funny. Like ****ing hilarious. Ever think of becoming a comedian? You'd definitely go far with it.

god forbid someone has an opinion
Last edited by xstax981 at Sep 5, 2010,
Chevelle was like that. I remember back in the late 90s and early 2000s they looked poor as fu ck, with their baggy cargo pants and what not. Now they got skinny jeans and designer casual jackets in all their promo shots. Not saying they don't rock though, they're my favorite band.
Linkin Park went from struggling to get a label in 1999 to world tours in 2000.

Calm down TS, sweet jeyzus
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Eminem was broke as f**k and couldn't afford to buy his daughter christmas presents the first two years of her life. Now he is the top selling arist in the world.
Lol Devil Wears Prada... I remember my junior year in high school everyone was obsessed with them. Never saw the appeal personally.

But on topic, no, most of the bands I like were either already famous when I'd heard of them, or just drift into obscurity after the hype wears off...
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
You're so funny. Like ****ing hilarious. Ever think of becoming a comedian? You'd definitely go far with it.

you think? thank you.

more on point, sort of. there's this band called the Two Gallants, and I used to go to their shows on street corners. a few year later, I heard them on the radio.

that was what I was going to edit my original post to say, but I'm happy to have exposed your virulent, assholish attitude.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Sep 5, 2010,
One band that may get up there is Turnpike Troubadours, a Red Dirt band. They played a party we had a few years back. As rent.

I think they got up to like #10 on the Red Dirt charts in Texas and may still be rising. I don't like Country and I love their new album.

EDIT: I honestly think you're funny.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by MakinLattes
you think? thank you.

more on point, sort of. there's this band called the Two Gallants, and I used to go to their shows on street corners. a few year later, I heard them on the radio.

that was what I was going to edit my original post to say, but I'm happy to have exposed your virulent, assholish attitude.

Sorry dude, I've just spending a little too much time in the hardcore forum...
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit

You're so like f***ing making me lol, ever thought about doing something about your anger issues. You'd definitely won't go far with it.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Practically every major band ever has gone from rags to riches... I fail to see how this is threadworthy.

EDIT: To contribute to the thread... Arcade Fire for me. I've liked them for ages, and its good to see that they have been getting recognition for their work as of late.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Last edited by zippidyduda at Sep 5, 2010,
Quote by zippidyduda
Practically every major band ever has gone from rags to riches... I fail to see how this is threadworthy.

Of course every band has been through that process. I was attempting to provoke inner fanboyism from the pit about their favorite bands that they've known for as long as they've been around.
Quote by zippidyduda

I figured it as referring to bands you first started listening to before they were well-known, and then they got really famous later.
Haters gon hate. I've talked to Mike, Jeremy, and Dan several times. They're absolutely appreciative of all the attentino they've gotten during their time as a band. They deserve it.
I was at that first one. I was with my friends laughing at how awful I thought it was. :P
Fender Deluxe Player Strat
Fender Musicmaster
Takamine EAN10C
B-52 AT-100
Jet City JCA20H
MXR Phase 90
PolyTune Mini
Strymon El Capistan
Quote by thrashdeth
I love a Dimebag tone just as much as anyone else. I'm Definitely considering a spider.
I don't really see why so many people like them, they aren't bad but i just don't understand all the hype
Quote by BladeSlinger
Linkin Park went from struggling to get a label in 1999 to world tours in 2000.

Calm down TS, sweet jeyzus

Yea this!