i was wondering... is it possible to stuff a hollow body guitar with something to stop the crazy feedback at high gain settings?
i read that u can put balloons inside the f holes and that helps...
or that ted nugent used to put cotton/tissues in his byrdlands to stop feedback...
anyone know anything??? or just a waste of time.?
BTW if u know anything about hollowbodies give me ur opinion about a possibly damaged neck...
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25188048#post25188048
Quote by Invader Jim
malcolm young uses socks stuffed into the empty pickup holes.

but does it really make a difference???
if i stuff my guitar with socks will it help feedback?
Well... you have a guitar full of socks that you may or may not be able to get out.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Quote by sandyman323
they're just socks. if it doesn't work, what have you lost? give it a shot.

yeah but right now the guitar needs strings and a set up... so i cant really "check"...
just wanted to hear some experience
thanks
Putting material or whatever inside your hollow body could drastically change its tone. Well, I'm not sure how much it will, but that's the point of the hollow body, the resonance inside of it giving it its tone. Maybe you could get a big bit of material that can be threaded through a hole, and leave a bit of the end poking out so you can take it out if you're not happy with the results.
Quote by Rokeman
Putting material or whatever inside your hollow body could drastically change its tone. Well, I'm not sure how much it will, but that's the point of the hollow body, the resonance inside of it giving it its tone. Maybe you could get a big bit of material that can be threaded through a hole, and leave a bit of the end poking out so you can take it out if you're not happy with the results.

i know but maybe at the steep price of "tone" i could have a more versatile guitar...
thanks!
I would try some kind of dense foam. Cut it to any size you want. Have you ever seen the sound hole covers they sell for acoustic guitars? I believe at least part of their function is to dampen feedback. You could try the same thing on your guitar by covering the F holes with something. Black duct tape cut into an Fhole shape? See how it changes the tone/feedback.
Have you tried using a noise gate?

In my opinion, stuffing a hollow body almost defeats the purpose of having a hollow body. Not to mention the fact that you'll have one Hell of a time getting those socks out of the guitar. If you still insist, maybe you could use a towel, so that you're not chasing around 20 different things inside your guitar trying to get everything out when/if you decide you want that old sound back.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Black Star
Have you tried using a noise gate?

In my opinion, stuffing a hollow body almost defeats the purpose of having a hollow body. Not to mention the fact that you'll have one Hell of a time getting those socks out of the guitar. If you still insist, maybe you could use a towel, so that you're not chasing around 20 different things inside your guitar trying to get everything out when/if you decide you want that old sound back.

(Y)
Quote by LeviMan_2001
Does this really need deliberation? Stuff socks in there and give it a shot. If they don't work pull 'em out. If your worried about them getting stuck, tie strings on there.

i agree... finally, something sensible.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Well... you have a guitar full of socks that you may or may not be able to get out.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I put that cushiony foam things in my hollow-body, it's not as heavy as socks and does the job pretty well.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville