My friend and I are getting some music ready to record and I'm thinking of buying a 8 channel preamp to get a decent drum recording and I've been reading that small rooms are bad to record drums in. I may have the option to record my drums in a very large cathedral where I play in a worship band. Would this give a nice sound, rather then say a average bedroom?

Thanks, Godbless.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
It all will depend on the shape of the room, and what it is made from. If you want a very "live" sounding recording then a large room with reflective surfaces will be good to an extent. However if you are going to the opposite it may not be the best option.
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
Quote by tr3nt
My friend and I are getting some music ready to record and I'm thinking of buying a 8 channel preamp to get a decent drum recording and I've been reading that small rooms are bad to record drums in. I may have the option to record my drums in a very large cathedral where I play in a worship band. Would this give a nice sound, rather then say a average bedroom?

Thanks, Godbless.

be more specific, what kind of mics? how many mics? how big is the kit?

personally i would think that recording in a cathedral would not give good results, and you arent gonna be able to get rid of the reverb if you wanted too. Just my 2 cents
5150 III 100W, Mesa 4x12 Cab, Framus Cobra Cab, M-Audio Profire 610, ISA One Pre, SC607-b, Equator D5's, Countryman Type 85 Di box, Radial JCR, Superior Drummer, SSD 4 Ex, TS9, NS-2 and the list goes on and on
You do want to record drums in a room with lots of space and good acoustics, but a cathedral will probably be way to big.
"Swords, nature's hell sticks."- Trip Fisk
I've heard drums in a big church and honestly it was the worst thing I've ever heard. Possibly partly the drum kit but the acoustics are just awful for it. Suits choirs, not drums.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
im sure if you can get it set up right, you could get a good sound. it will be very airy, and probably pretty boomy. if you are luckly, maybe something reminiscent of the drums on zeppelin's when the levee breaks. of course it completly depends on how the cathedral is setup/built.

a decent sized room that isnt too huge would probably be better. if your worship band has a drummer/drum kit, try just listening to the drummer play alone there. stand far away, in the balcony, etc. as he plays. if it sounds great, grab your mics! if it sounds bad/weird, even that small bedroom might do you better.
A huge room won't give ya that great reveb type sound without the proper mics.
Look at some of the video at the Toontrack website on how they miced up the NY studios to capture that "live" room type sound. They have mics placed high up and keep those on the mixer for those who use the VSTi product to add to their mix.

I agree with Jof...have someone play while you walk around and listen to see if the sound itself sounds good or bad. It can go either way depending on many variables.