Hey UG,

I'm looking at a used guitar on a local classifieds site. It is an unidentified "Guyatone" guitar, looks like a fake Jag. said to be made between the 60s and 70s. fairly vague, but i like the look of the guitar, and think it'd be cool. I would like to know more about the company, and the general quality of these guitars. also, what should i look for if i go test it? I would bring my amp, to make sure a) everything works and b) that i like the tone. Thanks in advance. I'll attach the ad.

Warren

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-Late-60s-or-Early-70s-No-Name-Guitar-W0QQAdIdZ227553672
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
guyatone was one of the older japanese guitar makers. that guitar is probably a mid 60s model although it may be an early 70s but i'm pretty sure mid 60s. as for quality they were better than many japanese makers of the time but if you are thinking that it will be of lawsuit era quality then you will be disappointed. kind of pricey if you ask me. this is the kind of guitar that is fun to have but thats about it.
Thank you for your knowledge. So it is decent quality, but not the same as a MIJ strat. which is reflected by the less than MIJ strat price. keep in mind this is in Canadian dollars, and in a canadian market where our guitars tend to be more expensive. When you say "fun to have" do you mean just as a show piece, or it won't sound good at all. I'm not a proffesional musician, but I don't have a great guitar now, Squier Standard strat and thought it'd be a cool upgrade.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"