After seeing video after video of the thing, he and I have really fallen in love with the tone. Sure it's a little muddy, but it's very bass heavy, which he and I really like. I know the thing neck-dives, but he plays sitting on top of his amp anyway.

He currently has a P/J bass, and he wants something completely different. I personally think it has potential, seeing that it has the mudbucker and mini-bucker. He plays metal, heavier alt-rock, and a good deal of classic rock. So here's my questions;

1: Why all of the hate?
2: If he likes what he's heard so far, does the general opinion outweigh his want for it?
3: would it sound good with a fuzz petal
4:What do genre is it best suited for, and what isn't it best suited for

Thanks guys.
It is suited for a genre in which you don't care about hearing the articulated notes. People hate them for the reasons you've stated, the muddiness and the dive. Most people in rock type bands play shows standing up, not sitting down.. it is just inconvenient to have the neck dive.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
It is suited for a genre in which you don't care about hearing the articulated notes. People hate them for the reasons you've stated, the muddiness and the dive. Most people in rock type bands play shows standing up, not sitting down.. it is just inconvenient to have the neck dive.

About not hearing the notes, couldn't you just EQ differently? And he's not planning to use this 100% of the time. He will go from one bass to the other quite frequently. We aren't planning to play in shows or anything, we just want to create some crazy stuff.
He knows what he wants from his bass and he's purchasing a bass that does it. He knows it's limitations and it's redeeming qualities.

I'm guessing people don't like them because they lack versatility, and when young people come here asking for a new bass, people don't want to suggest something which may limit their playing and appreciate of their instrument.

I think with flats, a little OD and a 15" cab you've got a perfect early bass tone for old school rock.

Playing some Marcus Miller or Korn on an EB-3 would be a little odd, for example.
People hate them because they're off-shoot Gibson's...that doesn't mean that they are no good. Not everybody has the coin to pick up a Gibson. If you're just playing for fun or at a few gigs, then an Epiphone is more than adequate. The EB-3 would seem to me to be best suited for the classic rock and the heavy-alt. I recently got a Thunderbird...yes Epiphone. I got it for the look, but was surprised at its sound and how well it played. You should look at the Thunderbird... it would cover all 3 genres you're looking for. By the way, when buying Epiphone, try to get the Korean made versions if possible...better than the Chinese.
People don't always appreciate the fuzzy muddy tone and the neck dive can be annoying, but can be fixed without much trouble. Other than that awful bridge, the biggest gripe anyone can have about an Epiphone is the QC. There are some perfectly fine Epi's out there, and there are some major major lemons. If your friend really likes the bass, and he's given it the 'ol once over, then go for it.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
People don't always appreciate the fuzzy muddy tone and the neck dive can be annoying, but can be fixed without much trouble. Other than that awful bridge, the biggest gripe anyone can have about an Epiphone is the QC. There are some perfectly fine Epi's out there, and there are some major major lemons. If your friend really likes the bass, and he's given it the 'ol once over, then go for it.

Well, we're getting it from Musicians Friend and they have a pretty great return policy. If we get anything less than pretty damn good, can we not just return it? I'm a bassist, but right now I'm focusing more on the 6 strings because he wants to focus on the bass. I play a hollow-body, and him and I believe that "muddy" tone everyone is going on about would actually sound really good with the twanginess.

So, I guess my next question is what could we do in time to make it not only work, but a great bass. Bridge swap?
Quote by CountFrapula
So, I guess my next question is what could we do in time to make it not only work, but a great bass. Bridge swap?

Hipshot makes a replacement for the 3-point bridge, but it costs half as much as the EB-3. Maybe a pup swap, look to Dimarzio, the Model One I believe. Other usual upgrades would be the tuning machines, and/or an electronics (pots, caps, jack, etc.) overhaul.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass