I was assigned to write a response to this for my english class and I thought it was interesting. Maybe a good discussion can come from it. Basically, it says that in this world of technology, we as humans are losing our individuality.

Also check antirobot's response. It's the second one. It's a good counter opinion.

http://chronicle.com/article/The-End-of-Human-Specialness/124124/

Discuss.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Bullshit.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
We won't.

Help that helps with your paper
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
technology is gay
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I was gonna come in here and make fun of you for using the word "specialness", until I found out that it is an actual word, according to the Firefox spell check.
Individuality? I don't think so but.. We are definitely more dependent on technology. Most people don't remember phone numbers or addresses. They just pop them into their phone and solely use that, the phone was just an example but obviously you could find a lot more.
Quote by itchy guitar
Bullshit.

+1
Quote by xkreedx
Individuality? I don't think so but.. We are definitely more dependent on technology. Most people don't remember phone numbers or addresses. They just pop them into their phone and solely use that, the phone was just an example but obviously you could find a lot more.

It's not like we wouldn't be able to remember those things if we didn't already invent something that did that for us...
Last edited by stratdud39 at Sep 5, 2010,
Quote by Brad_Bassist
This is the Pit. You were just asking for it posting it here.

there have been many intelligent conversations and discussions in the Pit.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Well if you compare the human species to other animals then yes we are losing our "specialness". Take away our technology and we're screwed, our bodies are not designed to take care of themselves (for example hunt for food) without the aid of technology in some form. But i guess you could say that our specialness lies in our ability to create the technology to overcome our natural weaknesses
Appreciating Metal since 1998

R.I.P - Ronnie James Dio

1942-2010
There will always be special humans. The short bus isn't going away any time soon.
I have my own issues with what the internet may mean to human society but loss of individuality isn't one of them. If anything the internet and forums such as this allow all of us to express our individuality more than we ever could before.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I don't think it's taking away individuality in people, but many people rely solely on technology and if that fails them they just don't know what to do
Quote by Alive@myfuneral
Well if you compare the human species to other animals then yes we are losing our "specialness". Take away our technology and we're screwed, our bodies are not designed to take care of themselves (for example hunt for food) without the aid of technology in some form. But i guess you could say that our specialness lies in our ability to create the technology to overcome our natural weaknesses

Exactly...but Australopithecines got around without technology.
Quote by stratdud39
Exactly...but Australopithecines got around without technology.

So did homo sapiens for several hundred millennium.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.