I recently moved into a dorm which is much more humid then what I'm used to, and I've been noticing some type of green stuff growing around my frets. Anyone know what this is?

I'm figuring this is some type of rust. Is it safe to leave on, or should I get rid of it?
In between the frets and the fretboard. It's a maple neck with a satin finish.
Rust isn't normally green. Unless it is green in another country or something.
Copper turns green though.

Is this an electric or acoustic?
..I was watching my death.
it happens to maple when the finish is worn out and the sweat soaks in i believe.

if you want, i can get a picture of where it has happened to the back of my jackson's neck. otherwise i'm going to be a lazy bastard and not post it unless you want it
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by rickyj
id get it off just incase.

it'll just come back, it always does on my neck. damn thin finishes.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

Would you mind posting that pic, if it's not too much of a bother?

Will my entire fretboard start to look green?
Quote by Agbasp
Would you mind posting that pic, if it's not too much of a bother?

Will my entire fretboard start to look green?

dunno why, but it turned most of it brownish with the flash. it's all there on that curve from neck to neck joint

Official Aspie member

Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

I get this blackish greenish gunk on the bottom of my strings, which is just grime, dirt, oil, and rust that accumulates, it may be something like that.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I'm getting some of that around the nut too. How long before the fretboard starts to mark up? By markup I mean kind of how Clapton's Blackie guitar's fretboard looks. I don't know if I like this look or not.
nickel oxide (nickel rust) is green iirc. rust as most people think of it is actually iron oxide, which is orange. aluminum oxide and zinc oxide are white.

rust comes in different of colors depending on what kind it is. it wont hurt anything in the short run but just remove it when it appears.

maple turns green as the crap from your hands soaks into the wood after the finish wears. that's a big reason Fender started using rosewood fretboards back in the day. sounded so good that now everyone does it.
Quote by Invader Jim
nickel oxide (nickel rust) is green iirc. rust as most people think of it is actually iron oxide, which is orange. aluminum oxide and zinc oxide are white.

rust comes in different of colors depending on what kind it is. it wont hurt anything in the short run but just remove it when it appears.

maple turns green as the crap from your hands soaks into the wood after the finish wears. that's a big reason Fender started using rosewood fretboards back in the day. sounded so good that now everyone does it.

What's a good way to go about removing the rust?
if its just forming, get a soft rag and buff it off with some metal polish (i use Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish). apply a thin layer of oil periodically (like after each playing session) to help keep it at bay.

if its really dug in there and cant be removed with just buffing, you'll have to either grind it out with a dremel and re-dress the frets or just refret. refretting would probably be better.
Dead finger Skin. I took my strings off and hit each and every one with a tooth pick. Then cleaned them with a rag and some fret conditioner.
It'll come off when you clean it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.