idk but my friend has one of those, and its wild. he also has an acoustic one. its amazing.
GDAE, just like a mandolin, my friend has one of those, they're actually quite nice and fun to play.

Edit: be forewarned, there is no truss rod on the mando-bird. IMO that would be the deal breaker for me.
Last edited by Apc3 at Sep 5, 2010,
It would be possible, what would be the point though? Unless you really want to hinder your playing, I really wouldnt reccommend it though, because 2 octaves up from bass tuning isnt an ideal tuning for what a mandolin does best, which are fast melodic passages, and chop chords, both of which really require GDAE.

Its really not that hard to get used to, and would really help you get used to playing in different tunings,
Quote by Stud_Muffin
It would be possible, what would be the point though? Unless you really want to hinder your playing, I really wouldnt reccommend it though, because 2 octaves up from bass tuning isnt an ideal tuning for what a mandolin does best, which are fast melodic passages, and chop chords, both of which really require GDAE.

Its really not that hard to get used to, and would really help you get used to playing in different tunings,

This. GDAE is Mando tuning. Sure, you can go down a whole step, etc. Mando tuning is In Fifths primarily. And as for the whole "can I use EADG"...you could, but I wouldn't really say it's a good idea.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by Apc3
GDAE, just like a mandolin, my friend has one of those, they're actually quite nice and fun to play.

Edit: be forewarned, there is no truss rod on the mando-bird. IMO that would be the deal breaker for me.

Most mandos don't have truss rods. But they are starting to appear more and more.
IMO they are not really needed but can be of help and save you money in the long run.
Last edited by Silent_Crow13 at Sep 6, 2010,
Haha thanks guys I appreciate it any suggestions on a beginner mando? I want to make sure I like paying it before really getting into it and think it'd be a cool instrument to add in my band.
For a start, I'd reccommend that you just go for a really cheap one. Mine cost me £60, because I got the cheapest one I could, and I wouldn't say do that, but keep it reasonable. Goes without saying, that you might not like the instrument.

I would reccommend starting on a teardrop shape mandolin, for your first, though, simply because they're the most common style (think, in terms of guitar, kinda like the stratocaster shape that every cheap company reproduces), and they tend to be pretty solid instruments.

If you're comfortable with ordering online, I would suggest this website:

www.hobgoblin.com

An awesome website, for all folk instruments, music etc, and if you don't want to order online, you can use it as a basis to find something in your price range. It is a UK site though, so if you're in the US for example, might not be much help to you.

Hope this helped.