So after years of playing with 2-3 odd stomp boxes, I've decided to get myself a multi-fx pedal, as it seems much more bang-for-buck than buying individual pedals.

I always thought that I'd pick something like the Line 6 Pod X3 Live or the Zoom G9.2tt, but after a bit of research it seems that these are best if you want to record rather than plug into an amp. I only have a 15W practice amp (Vox Pathfinder 15R), and I'm not really looking at recording.

Would it be best to get something like the Line6 M13 or the T.C. Nova System in my case, or multi-fx pedals (X3L) more versatile with an amp?
go with the tonelab series
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
If u have the $$$ for those....look at some amps?
Quote by gwitersnamps
go with the tonelab series

Any particular reason why? Have you compared its tone with any of the pedals I mentioned?

Quote by mmjohn
If u have the $$$ for those....look at some amps?

No argument that an amp would give the best tone, but these pedals are around $400 to $600.. but a good valve amp is much higher than that. Lot of difference in $$$
Quote by adityasen
Any particular reason why? Have you compared its tone with any of the pedals I mentioned?

No argument that an amp would give the best tone, but these pedals are around $400 to $600.. but a good valve amp is much higher than that. Lot of difference in $$$

There are PLENTY of good valve amps that could be had for under $600.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Care to suggest a few? (I'm in Australia.. so pricing might be a bit different from USA)
Quote by adityasen
Care to suggest a few? (I'm in Australia.. so pricing might be a bit different from USA)

What do you play? Are you willing to go used? Do you need enough power to gig?
Generally speaking, you can pick these up in that price range

Fender Blues Junior
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Valveking
Peavey Ultra
Laney LC-15 or LC-30
Vox AC-15
Bugera V-22 or V-55 (Come to think of it pretty much all their models can be found used in that price range)

Those are just a few, there's a lot more. Also, most of those were between 20-60 watts give or take. If you're looking for something smaller than that there are also tons of options.
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
The Line 6 M9 is a great pedal, and can replace many single pedals you would otherwise need to use.

I wouldn't get a new amp until you really feel you need one.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I mainly play Pink Floyd / Eric Clapton. I'd love to go for a good amp alone, but then I miss out on things like a phaser and delay to get the true Gilmore tone.

@Raijouta - my thoughts exactly. i don't really want amp modeling, as somewhere down the line I'll probably look at getting a better amp.

However, that being said, I'm taken in by the orange tiny terror. Its got a nice amount of grunge, and is good enough for the clean tones as well.

Confused all over again
Last edited by adityasen at Sep 6, 2010,
The Boss ME-70 is an awesome pedal, imo. You should youtube it and see what you think. It's pretty much a steal in itself for $300 USD.

I'd have it if I weren't so picky, but meh...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by adityasen
I mainly play Pink Floyd / Eric Clapton. I'd love to go for a good amp alone, but then I miss out on things like a phaser and delay to get the true Gilmore tone.

@Raijouta - my thoughts exactly. i don't really want amp modeling, as somewhere down the line I'll probably look at getting a better amp.

However, that being said, I'm taken in by the orange tiny terror. Its got a nice amount of grunge, and is good enough for the clean tones as well.

Confused all over again

Phaser and delay won't get you a true Gilmour tone per se. They will give you Gilmour like effects but without the proper amp all you're essentially going to get with pedals is different effects with the same underlying tone that your amp has. Think of it this way. Your amp makes up about 90%-90% of your tone. The rest is the guitar, pickups, pedals, etc. So basically what it comes down to is if you want effects to play with then get effects. However, if you're after better tone, get a decent amp first. No sense in polishing turds
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm