Hi,
I've got a 2007 fender MIM strat-in white, maple neck in good condition(zero buckle rash, no scratches/dings only thing keeping the guitar from being a 10/10 is that it has slight fret wear, needs new strings also but no big deal there). I have the opportunity to trade for a 2004 epiphone les paul standard in cherry sunburst (in good condition except for; minor buckle rash and one small ding on lower bout). Now reasons why I would consider this trade are that, I'm looking for a more dirty sound-GN'Rs appetite for destruction album is the exact sound I'm aiming for, and I'm starting to really dislike the "humming noise" that single coil pickups make; which after looking into I'm beginning to realize is a common problem amongst these pickups. Now I ask you guys, do you think this would be a fair trade? I'm in highschool and don't have a job, so its not like I can go out and buy another guitar to achieve the desired sound I want anytime soon. Thank you in advance for your help.
If it fits your style better, then go right ahead. In the end just play the guitar that feels right to you and feels right for your music. I mean I personally like strats better than LPs, but like I said do what fits your tastes/musical needs.
I'm a musician/composer before I'm a guitar player.

foREVer

R.I.P Jimmy "The Reverend Tholomew Plague" Sullivan.
Quote by Count Orlok
If it fits your style better, then go right ahead. In the end just play the guitar that feels right to you and feels right for your music. I mean I personally like strats better than LPs, but like I said do what fits your tastes/musical needs.

agreed,aside from me not being a strat fan,lol.
My Sound Makers
ESP Eclipse II
Epi Les Paul Studio
Fender Blues Jr.
From what Ive seen MIM Strats go for about 275-300 USD used and Epi Standards that aren't in Ebony go for about 350 USD. So in terms of money its a good deal I feel.

Seems like it would fit you better too as well.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
If you can play one, then you can see if it fits you or not.

The Les Paul is definitely the way to go sonically, but if it doesn't feel good to you, then what would be the point?

There are a lot of guitars out there. If the LP doesn't feel good to you, you can always sell your Strat to get a guitar that would suit you more. Sounds like you definitely need humbuckers though, one way or another.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you're happy with the Strat apart from the single coil pickups you could always consider putting a humbucker in there to get a lot closer to the sound you want.
buy a humbucker and ignore the epi,

chances are your MIM is going to better quality than the epi,

though to be fair, legend has it that the AFD tone came from his amp and he has spent the last 20 years trying to repliate the same tone lol

just buy a 2nd hand hot rail or humbucker, your guitar will be routed for one anyway.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I would switch if I was you. Strats are definitely nice to have, but for me, humbuckers and and Les Pauls will always come first. Les Pauls feel better in my hands, and also look better, IMO.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Value wise the trade is fair. While PUs in the Epi are humbucking they're not the best and have a reputation for being a tad muddy. A PU swap in the Epi would be easier than one on the Strat regardless of body routing as there is still the pickguard and pot values to consider.
Moving on.....
KenG which is better,becuse i have lp also but am trying to trade for sg.
Last edited by XlesXXpau lman at Sep 6, 2010,