Most if not all people swap out their stock pups for better ones. What do you do with the stock pups? Throw them out? Throw them in your closet and let it collect dust? I can imagine all that wasted resource not being put to good use. Can you sell them back?
I have about 6 in my kitchen bottom drawer, never to be used again but I don't throw them out, they don't take up much space and are actually ok sounding.
Sell them on Craigslist or use them for twisted pickup winding experiments.

Or throw them into guitars with even crappier stock pickups.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
well, i dont have money so all my guitars still have stock pickups, but i will switch them eventually, but not my epiphone tony iommi signature, i ****ing love the sound of the gibson usa stock pickups that come with it.

My ibanez rg5ex1 on the other hand, i plan on probably switching out the stock for some EMGs or seymour duncans or something, but never, would i throw out a pickup, ever. the pickups stock in my ibanez, the stock, actually arent terrible, so i would def keep them. in fact, i dont really think i have ever heard any bad stock humbuckers, and to go along with that, i think quite a lot of people keep stock pickups, in or out of the guitar, they usually dont get rid of them
Depends. I tore apart the stock ones from my Mexi Strat the other day for lulz. The stock ones from my Mary Kaye are now in the Mexi Strat since they sound considerably better than what was in there before.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Raijouta
Sell them on Craigslist or use them for twisted pickup winding experiments.

Or throw them into guitars with even crappier stock pickups.

i'll also give them away, trade them in for other equipment or use them for refrigerator magnets.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Mine are just sitting there, collecting dust. I don't throw them away though. I might have use of them someday.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by the1967mustang
Mine are just sitting there, collecting dust. I don't throw them away though. I might have use of them someday.

+1 I save nuts, bolts, screws, springs, pickups, pickguards......I might never need them. But I'm always ready!
ATM, they are just sitting in a box, but I'm gonna try and sell them. But I took a stock single coil apart, just out of curiosity.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
They sit in one of my many spare parts boxes in case I ever need them again.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The only pups I've changed have actually been non-stock bar one single coil - I changed a JB/59 combo for EMGs and a JB/Ibanez S7 for a Warpig and a Trilogy Suite. I sold the first set and will probably sell the other JB, no idea what to do with the S7 though.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Don't have any, since my jag came with nice SDs in, but if I ever did switch any out, I'd keep the stock ones for spares and crazy experiments.
I would like to take a stock pickup one day and experiment with it and see why they sound bad. I have a feeling after looking at an Epiphone catalog that their pickups are kinda shitty because they just pot them TOO MUCH. So I wanna snag some cheap Epi pickups and take a heat gun to them, see what they sound like with less wax in the coils.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
sensible thing to do would be to hang onto them in case you ever sell the guitar. Odds are the guitar is worth more stock, anyway, but even if it's not, you probably don't want to sell that $200 boutique handwound pickup along with that $200 guitar...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Some I give away and some I just leave sitting at home depending upon what they are. Ibanez stock pickups i generally give away or just leave them sitting around. However there are real dimarzios in the next Ibanez I intend to buy. An air norton, tone zone and true velvet so I will trade those with my luthier for a free setup on one of my other guitars.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
I usually transfer them to another guitar, and then have the crappiest of pickups just lying around, in case I ever find a guitar in need of pickups. I am like many others around here; I try to hold on to all spare parts from guitars that I can. You never know when you'll need them.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by gumbilicious
i'll also give them away, trade them in for other equipment or use them for refrigerator magnets.

fridge magnets? fantastic idea! im doing that from now on.
Why not just keep them and then if you go to sell the guitar put the stock ones back in? Used guitars normally don't go for more with a pickup change so why not just hold on to the upgraded ones if you sell?
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by jof1029
fridge magnets? fantastic idea! im doing that from now on.

That is a great idea! I need to buy more guitars, I want a fridge coated in pickups xD
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works
my fridge has a wooden door
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
my fridge has a wooden door

But but but.......

You could screw them into the fridge door via the mounting holes in the pickups?

That way the entire front of your fridge would be one huge magnet
My Gear

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
But but but.......

You could screw them into the fridge door via the mounting holes in the pickups?

That way the entire front of your fridge would be one huge magnet

I DIDN'T THINK OF THAT!!!!!!!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
saving them for my twisted pickup experiments
now I just need a body routed for 10 single coils...
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
They're still in the guitar. I'm too poor to buy better pups
There are actually people buying stock pups!? I hope it's the higher-end and not the lower-end.
if you want to sell your guitar and lost the stock ones, it makes sense.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?