Ok, so after reading this article:
http://www.recordingmag.com/resources/resourceDetail/134.html

I've decided I would like to try and tame my low end with a bit of multiband compression. The article is long, but it basically suggests using a multiband compressor to compress the low end frequencies (Specifically targetting the low B) seperately from the rest of the bass. I've had a good long search around, and i'm looking a rack unit that will allow me to do this, do they exist? So far the only solution i've seen has to be to use a seperate crossover/compressor unit. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Apologies if this is in the wrong section, let me know where i should be and i'll remember in future.
Last edited by Rhys Jackson at Sep 6, 2010,
Wow, that's really interesting o.O

I don't know anything about getting a multiband compressor.. but it seemed to me that this article was talking about the recording aspect of 5 string bass, not necessarily live use. Subtle differences in sound are huge in recording, while in live music, they cannot be noticed.

If you're going to be recording or have specific problems with your low B that you just can't stand, I would say this is something to look into... If you're not, however, I think you should save your money and time, because I don't think the difference in sound that having a multiband compressor will bring will be noticed.
Gear:

Fender Jazz
Spector Legend Custom 5
Yamaha BB415

Fender Bassman 400 Pro
The Trace Elliot multiband compressor in both pedal and inbuilt form has a very good rep. It's discontinued now though so you'll have to prey on eBay/craigslist etc.
Kamayzing - Thanks a lot and i think you're absolutely right. I will however be recording and (hopefully, though not a necesity) playing live with the setup.

Flogger_92 - I've taken a look and found the Trace Elliot smx pedal, is this what you meant? Looks great, and pretty much what i need, but i'm looking to really fine tune the different compressions with different attack/delay/threshhold/gain make-up settings.

Thanks for both of your replies, but i think i'm on to something.
Looking at either the:
Phonic A6500
http://i54.tinypic.com/t4tnd5.jpg

or the Rane DC24 (as one compressor recommended in the article)
http://ralaudio.com/images/rane/dc24.jpg
The only time Ive seen multi band compressors is on large racks that engineers use, and on DAW's (fl studio, logic, etc) where there are lots of channels and instruments that need compression. TS, if you dont mind me asking, what do you think a multiband is going to do for you that a normal compressor wont?
I was hoping to compress my very low frequencies <65Hz-ish with settings to tackle the slow attack of notes played on the low B string but then apply a seperate, more typical bass compression setting to everything >65Hz. The aim being to reduce tonal + volume differences between the low B and the rest of the bass. That is my intention anyway.

A normal compressor, without a 'crossover' feature will not allow me to seperate my low/high and compress seperately.

I have experimented with Multiband compression on individual bass tracks in REAPER and found it to work well, but i'm looking for a hardware alternative. Ideally for live use (in a rack) but will also be used in a home studio.
Well, I wish I could help, but unfortunately this is beyond my expertise. I know I could get warned for this, but I want to see you get a real answer to your question. If I were you, I would go to www.talkbass.com and post in their effects forum, or possibly the recording forum. UG is good for asking what first bass to get, what amp to get for x money, but if you want an answer to a real question like yours, your better off with TB.

If you want my answer, it would be to build a crossover yourself and send the "low" frequencies to one compressor, and the "highs" to the other. Then link them back up before they get to the next part of your chain. But I have no idea what goes into building a cross over, so like I said, TB...

Sorry again Delirium. You should know by now though that Im not advertising, just trying to get TS a good answer
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Sep 7, 2010,
Thanks a lot for the answer tubatom.
Feel free to edit your post if you're worried about a possible warning

I'll report back here if I find a good hardware solution to the problem.
Software VST's (ReaperXComp in particular) are pretty much doing the trick for me, but i'd prefer a rack unit that can do the same task.
Thanks again for all your answers.