I need to know, since the guitarist(Who was a douchebag by the way) left the band, so I'm the only guitarist, and we are now a 3-piece metal band, and want to stay that way.

So the question:
Where do I pan if it's just 1 guitar?
Normally, when I have 2 guitars I would pan one L90 one R90.
But 1 guitar, I don't know what to do.
Maybe double track or something.

I also do the vocals.

Another question I just thought of:
Where do I put the Bassist? I mean, other than muting him

Drums are with kick in center and the others adjusted to the actual placement of the drums.

Vocals, what I like to do for them,
My 2 Behringer C-2 Condensor mics on a T-bar, then have the Shure PG48 in the middle, panned to the center, and the Condensers are panned to either side of it.
Damn, I went way far away from the original question.
Critique my vocal recording as well?

I can only do 2 inputs right now, but as soon as I get a L/R-USB converter, I can have 4.
In the future, I want to get a Presonus Firepod.
I'm recording with Cubase AI4
..I was watching my death.
Record one guitar on the left and another on the right,put the bass in the middle and be done with it.
Quote by bbetances
dont pan it at all?

That is actually, Literally impossible.

While I was listening to Rage Against the Machine, I realized... Tom Morello is the only guitarist. The panning is wierd on Battle For Los Angeles. Tom is almost always hard left or hard right.

I could do double tracking. Quad tracking is a bit much... So much room for error.

Or, I could do a double amp setup. I've used it before, but didn't keep the track that I did it on. Re-recorded with only 1 amp.
When I record I usually pan a single guitarist slightly off to the left or I'll have that guitarist do another take and I'll pan the back-up hard right.
Tools Of The Trade:

2006 Jackson DXMG Dinky
Alesis Q49 USB/MIDI Keyboard Controller
Line 6 Guitarport Interface
Native Instruments Guitar Rig 4
Cakewalk SONAR 8 Producer Edition
Quote by mtforever
Quad tracking anyone?

This
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
there are two things i would consider doing.

first is the double track and hard pan method (or not quite hard pan, but you get the idea). so double track the guitar and have the bass and vox straight up the middle. then any guitar solos would get be straight up the middle as well.

other option is to set it up like you were on stage. however this can sound really wierd and off balance depending on the song. so drums will be up the middle, guitar to one side and bass to the other. vocals will still go up the middle, even if your guitar parts are to the side. you cannot hard pan here, or it will sound way unbalanced. experiment with the panning, but ive gotten it to sound good with the panning less than 50%.
another way to do this is to double track the guitar and bass with the method above. then your second set is panned the opposite way, but has a much lower level. its similar to the second method, but can fill things in a bit more. havent tried this too much myself, its something im working on.

for metal though, i highly recomend double tracking.
Try mixing your drums mostly in one speaker, plonk the bass and vocals in the middle and guitar in the other speaker speaker. Might sound a bit crazy but it can give a new dimension to recordings
Last edited by EatShreddies at Sep 6, 2010,
Quote by EatShreddies
Try mixing your drums mostly in one speaker, plonk the bass and vocals in the middle and guitar in the other speaker speaker. Might sound a bit crazy but it can give a new dimension to recordings

Nooooooo..
If you're not going to center the drums, do it like how timbit2006 said, with kick and snare in the center and the drums panned to their actual placement. It sounds weird at first, but makes it sound so much better than mono.
Quote by jof1029
there are two things i would consider doing.

first is the double track and hard pan method (or not quite hard pan, but you get the idea). so double track the guitar and have the bass and vox straight up the middle. then any guitar solos would get be straight up the middle as well.

other option is to set it up like you were on stage. however this can sound really wierd and off balance depending on the song. so drums will be up the middle, guitar to one side and bass to the other. vocals will still go up the middle, even if your guitar parts are to the side. you cannot hard pan here, or it will sound way unbalanced. experiment with the panning, but ive gotten it to sound good with the panning less than 50%.
another way to do this is to double track the guitar and bass with the method above. then your second set is panned the opposite way, but has a much lower level. its similar to the second method, but can fill things in a bit more. havent tried this too much myself, its something im working on.

for metal though, i highly recomend double tracking.

I like the sound of that so far.
I wont be recording till maybe another 2 months.
Soundproofing my studio near the end of September.
I really wish I didn't have to soundproof. I could've gotten a Presonus Firepod, and mic'd the whole drum kit(I have 6 mics) 4 of them are vocal mics, buy work decently on the toms and kick. Gonna get an actual snare mic, and a Condensor for the high hats. If the drummer has more than 2 cymbals, he's just gonna have to have overheads.

Now that that's out of the way:
Question about Speakers.

I've got these Creative 7.1 Surround sound PC Sound system, with a Creative X-fi soundblaster. Those 2 combined were maybe 500 bucks, so they're quality.
Would turning off all speakers but front left, front right and the sub be better than Mastering with headphones?
It's got this mode called audio creation mode, that makes the speaker as flat as possible. I was thinking of using these as monitors, rather than using headphones.
Better or worse?
Quote by timbit2006
I like the sound of that so far.
I wont be recording till maybe another 2 months.
Soundproofing my studio near the end of September.
I really wish I didn't have to soundproof. I could've gotten a Presonus Firepod, and mic'd the whole drum kit(I have 6 mics) 4 of them are vocal mics, buy work decently on the toms and kick. Gonna get an actual snare mic, and a Condensor for the high hats. If the drummer has more than 2 cymbals, he's just gonna have to have overheads.

Now that that's out of the way:
Question about Speakers.

I've got these Creative 7.1 Surround sound PC Sound system, with a Creative X-fi soundblaster. Those 2 combined were maybe 500 bucks, so they're quality.
Would turning off all speakers but front left, front right and the sub be better than Mastering with headphones?
It's got this mode called audio creation mode, that makes the speaker as flat as possible. I was thinking of using these as monitors, rather than using headphones.
Better or worse?

Yes that would work great. You have to remember though, most people with speakers similar to yours (basically any set of computer speakers with a subwoofer) usually have their bass turned up and whatnot to get the sound they like. You might want to EQ your speakers to hear what everyone else would be hearing, or you might get a lot of bass in the mix and it will sound unpleasant to some listeners. Also, buy a cheap pair of headphones, or use iPod headphones, and find a sound that sounds good in those headphones as well as through your speakers because that is how most people are going to be listening to your music. I hope this makes sense. A lot of one-man-bands that record themselves typically have too much bass in the mix and it upsets me a lot because I have blown out a set of pro-grade subs in my car because of them >
Quote by pdawson
Yes that would work great. You have to remember though, most people with speakers similar to yours (basically any set of computer speakers with a subwoofer) usually have their bass turned up and whatnot to get the sound they like. You might want to EQ your speakers to hear what everyone else would be hearing, or you might get a lot of bass in the mix and it will sound unpleasant to some listeners. Also, buy a cheap pair of headphones, or use iPod headphones, and find a sound that sounds good in those headphones as well as through your speakers because that is how most people are going to be listening to your music. I hope this makes sense. A lot of one-man-bands that record themselves typically have too much bass in the mix and it upsets me a lot because I have blown out a set of pro-grade subs in my car because of them >

I now set it on completely flat frequency response. I clicked for it to Enable "Bit-Matched playback" Which takes off the EQ, 24-Bit Crystalizer, and all that fun stuff.
I could release a demo CD in 7.1 Surround sound
Put the drums behind you, vocals beside you, guitar in front, bass in the back left. Haha. that'd sound really wierd.

I can buy some cheap shit computer speakers for 5 bucks. I can borrow m brothers dollar store headphones as well.

Normally, I'd mix and master on my Sony MDR-V600 headphones(Really high-end)

Your sub must've been cheap quality then. For a safety precaution, when I build speaker cabs, or buy them, I always make sure it's at least double what the amp puts out. That prevents speakers from breaking.

I'm not gonna be able to test anything out untill Next month. That's when the studio/bedroom moving happens.
I get the whole third floor of he house to myself Only 2 rooms, and it's an attic so ridiculously low ceilings.
Also going to acoustically treat the Studio. Computer will be in my bedroom, along with all the recording stuff. Also need to buy another hard drive for my computer. Deciding whether I should get an Internal or External one.
Quote by timbit2006
I now set it on completely flat frequency response. I clicked for it to Enable "Bit-Matched playback" Which takes off the EQ, 24-Bit Crystalizer, and all that fun stuff.
I could release a demo CD in 7.1 Surround sound
Put the drums behind you, vocals beside you, guitar in front, bass in the back left. Haha. that'd sound really wierd.

I can buy some cheap shit computer speakers for 5 bucks. I can borrow m brothers dollar store headphones as well.

Normally, I'd mix and master on my Sony MDR-V600 headphones(Really high-end)

Your sub must've been cheap quality then. For a safety precaution, when I build speaker cabs, or buy them, I always make sure it's at least double what the amp puts out. That prevents speakers from breaking.

I'm not gonna be able to test anything out untill Next month. That's when the studio/bedroom moving happens.
I get the whole third floor of he house to myself Only 2 rooms, and it's an attic so ridiculously low ceilings.
Also going to acoustically treat the Studio. Computer will be in my bedroom, along with all the recording stuff. Also need to buy another hard drive for my computer. Deciding whether I should get an Internal or External one.

Haha yeah I've got Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1's in my car, they're best known for not like, clipping out. 1400 watts peak and I was running a 1200 watt RMS amp to it, with every possible bass boost to the amp. God I'm dumb
Quote by pdawson
Haha yeah I've got Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1's in my car, they're best known for not like, clipping out. 1400 watts peak and I was running a 1200 watt RMS amp to it, with every possible bass boost to the amp. God I'm dumb

I don't know why you'd ever need a 1200 watt amp in a car.
If my volume is maxed, on my 140 watt amp and windows open, it can be heard down the whole street.

jof,
Some guy stole your avatar, so I let him know and he changed it. Just thought I'd let you know.
Quote by timbit2006
jof,
Some guy stole your avatar, so I let him know and he changed it. Just thought I'd let you know.

thanks

and of course everyone needs 1200W, i really love pissing off the next state.
Quote by jof1029
thanks

and of course everyone needs 1200W, i really love pissing off the next state.

I bet in that 1200 watts, a lot of sound quality is being lost.
Take guitar speakers for example. Never have I seen one over 250 watt rating.
Guitar speakers are meant for extremely good sound quality.
That tells you somethings wrong with the 1200 watts.
15-20 points to either the left or right, bass 5-10 points opposite of the guitarist, vocals deadpanned center, snare 2-3 points right, bass drum center, hi-hat either opposite of the snare or centered, overheads deadpanned L&R, room mics deadpanned L&R... I dunno what exactly to do with toms though.