Now that I have a MIDI controller to program synths and drums with, once my Carvin arrives, I plan to start working on another album. However, I like interesting, often-complex basslines, and I'm not a great bassist. I can keep up with most basslines, but I can't get the stuff I have in mind sounding or feeling right yet.

I'm not the type to ignore my limitations and do a bad job, so instead of going for technical basslines like I enjoy, I've decided to strip the bass parts down and just focus on keeping a nice, steady groove to things. However I'm not really sure what makes a good, groovy bassline. Advice?

As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
To me, it's not just the bass that contributes to a groovy bassline, but the way the drums and the rest of the song is constructed around it helps. A groovy bassline can be anything from plugging roots on the downbeat with the kick, or a blistering 16th note line. Take a listen to What is Hip? and Down to the Nightclub by Tower of Power and September by Earth Wind and Fire.

Playing wise, try and learn the basslines to songs like these, and figure out what the bassists are actually doing. A lot of pentatonic stuff is used, root/octave jumps, fifths, etc. Just play around with the bassline itself and the drums/rhythm section till you find something that locks in together and grooves
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Try to, in a way, make a rhythmic melody following the drums. Remember that there are 7 different notes somewhat fitting to every (normal) chord.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Grooviness is all about how well the bass and the drums lockin together. Like said before, the line can be really simple, but if the timing is spot on, it will sound super funky. Also, play around with octaves