I only play classic rock/blues so yeah I dont know what brand suits it more. And I'm looking for a nice budget model.

Also Im wondering if getting a tube amp is worth it. I'm afraid of them because I always hear of them overheating out and needs lots of maintenance.
GEAR:
1993 MIJ Fender Stratocaster 72' reissue (Natural)
Robson 10W Amplifier
Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
No not here at least, Gear is on my sig.

Budget is like anything 50$+
Classic Rock/Hard Rock/Blues
Home.
Toronto?
Doesnt matter, Used is fine.
GEAR:
Robson 10W Amplifier
Doesnt really matter, 100+ then.
Yeah CND.
GEAR:
Robson 10W Amplifier
You should probably give the upper limit of your budget, not the lower limit. We know you've got more than $50 to spend on an amp, but if you don't give us a ceiling we're going to send you out for an XITS Piper.
Quote by DayGhost
Doesnt really matter, 100+ then.
Yeah CND.

You won't get much. I'm sure there are a few used deals out there, but not much.

SS seems to be the way to go for this budget, but I would strongly suggest saving up at least a few 100 more.

Vox amps are good for that price range for blues, I believe.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
okay I guess around 200max
GEAR:
Robson 10W Amplifier
What speaker is in that 10W you have? Size, resistance, etc.?

You can maybe pick up a Blackheart 1W Killer Ant head for ~$150 CAD if you can stretch that far. 1 watt of tubey goodness perfect for (classic) rock and blues. Blackhearts are kind of Marshall-y but have a little Vox in their blood I think.

But it's just a head, so you'd need to run it through the speaker in the amp you already have. Until you get a cab.

Tube amps don't really require maintainance - less than a pedal. Yeah, you need to get new tubes every few years (I think this is the right time frame, might be every year just to be safe), but in guitars with active pickups and in pedals you need to change batteries and people don't complain about that much.
Vox AC15C1 should be perfect, I play the same stuff and that's what I have, I could not ask for anything better. I also hook it up to a ts9 for a great rock tone and really boosts the tubes
Alex Hager - AlexHagerMusic
12 cm (5 inches)
Im not even sure if its 10W could be like 2W lol
Dunno about resistance.
GEAR:
Robson 10W Amplifier
OK. OK.

200 is quite a bit different than 50. I'd still save up but there are some nice used amps you can get for that budget - especially in Toronto. +1 to the Blackheart Killer Ant. I have one.

Most of the amps in here are pretty decent minus the MG at the top and the occasional Spiders...

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/search/msg/tor?query=amp&srchType=A&minAsk=100&maxAsk=200

For example I see a Vox AC4TV and a Fender Princeton 112.
Are the MGs bad amps?
Yeah I was thinking of the VoxAC4TV

I just want an amp
I dont want the hassle of connecting to an external speaker, Id rather just sell my Roland.

How does 400$ MAX sound?
GEAR:
Robson 10W Amplifier
Last edited by DayGhost at Sep 6, 2010,
i didn't know people accepted canadian money for amps... good news. i like the blackheart idea, but if you have to play out then realize you may need to save up more money and get something that can get as loud as you may need it to.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by DayGhost
Are the MGs bad amps?
Yeah I was thinking of the VoxAC4TV

I just want an amp
I dont want the hassle of connecting to an external speaker, Id rather just sell my Roland.

How does 400$ MAX sound?

The MG's are TERRIBLE. And with $400, you're begging for a Jet City. The JCA 20 combo is good, classic rock tone. However, it only has 1 channel, so if cleans are important, I would suggest either a Peavey Valveking, or the Vox AC15 Valve Reactor.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Thanks all.
GEAR:
Robson 10W Amplifier
Valvekings are great amps. The VK112 that I had was very good, especially with a different speaker. You can also get these somewhat cheap used.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
My Vox is way too bright. I play Texas Blues/Rock, and I play on a JCM 800 2205. Perfect, and to gete the real bright stuff I just stick in a Fender Blues Deville.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Pencil man, some of your stuff of your stuff is off, yes the vox part is right, they have a signature "chime" and the fender hotrod deville is very nice, but actually the 2205 is rated very poorly, and i firmly agree with the poor ratings, I feel it has bad quality due to the dual channel. However the 2203 is usually how people define a true "JCM 800", it's 100 watts, and single channel, and gives off a quality sounds, but you can't diss on the vox's because I have a VoxAC15C1, and you say it's to bright, well %60 of the JCM 800 models use EL84 tubes, which is identical to the VoxAC15C1, and most other vox's.
btw, the mg's are horrible amps, i'm not being super subjective, i'm just telling you the truth, ask anyone educated about amps, they will tell you line 6's and mg's are trash.