This could probably fit into some other category but I didn't know which one. ANYWAY...

I intend of starting a prog metal band later in life when I actually get good at bass and I only want one guitarist and a keyboardist. I was just discussing this with my friend who is a massive Dream Theater fan and he said that for a keyboard to replace the second guitar the keyboardist must be super awesome like Jordan Rudess. I was wondering if this is true or not and if it is how good mus the keyboardist be? Like what grade or whatever.
FISH ON!!!!

Quote by Derk'ed
Women love it better with fingers. Treat a bass like a woman. Fingers or piece of plastic?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
The keyboardist's technical skill isn't as important as his creativity/writing ability. It would help if they could play some technical stuff, but as long as the music sounds good and blends with the rest of the band, you wouldn't have any problem.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I would disagree. The keyboard isn't replacing anything, it's just an instrument you choose to add. It's just their style, and potentially yours. I wouldn't worry about grade or levels or anything, as long as they're competent enough to gig and write awesome music then who cares if they're not playing keyboard solos at 200 notes per second, unless that's what you want.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
I would say that he could be a C+, but you're best off with one of those B- keyboardists. You know the ones I'm talking about.
Super
Old
Cats
Are
Surprising

Many profile views... few friends...
Keyboards are rubbish for solos and whatnot IMO, but are brilliant for melody and ambient atmospheric shit. So more creative than technically amazing, IMO.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by whalepudding
Keyboards are rubbish for solos and whatnot IMO, but are brilliant for melody and ambient atmospheric shit. So more creative than technically amazing, IMO.

This too. I don't listen to Dream Theater much (the only metal band I know of with a keyboard), but I feel the keyboard is the best part of the rhythm section. For solos though I just want guitar or the occasional bass solo.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
A good prog band is a band where the members can show off their technique and blend the sound together into something good at the same time..... if you find a keyboardist who can do that, you're set.

Otherwise you end up with a band like Cream.... who would all just play their own thing on stage together and suck truckloads of dick (I'm a big Cream fan btw)
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by Mudmen190
I don't think that's true at all, but are you going to have a drummer?

Yes of course. How would I function without one? I can't imagine that.

I think I should add now: I want the keyboardist to be very audible and virtuoso!
Good advice from everyone however.
FISH ON!!!!

Quote by Derk'ed
Women love it better with fingers. Treat a bass like a woman. Fingers or piece of plastic?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination