Anyone else start dry retching if they don't eat immediately after waking up?

I've always had this... if I don't eat within 30 mins-hour after waking up I'll start getting nauseated and then dry retching. I don't know what causes it, one doctor suggested low blood sugar. Can anyone relate?

I was wondering because I wanted to know if it's ok if I fast even with this problem or it that would be very unhealthy. (no I'm not a Muslim)
No. More like the opposite, I usually have massive problems eating just as I wake up. Historically, I've had breakfast in the first school break.

S t a i r s s r i a t S

Well if not eating that early is making you sick fasting wouldn't be a good idea. Are you fasting for religious reasons? If so and you really want to do it, maybe cut down to just a piece of white bread when you are feeling nauseous and other than that just drink water. Same basic idea, just keep you from screwing yourself up. When you dry heave or throw up it takes a toll on your body because your whole digestive tract is moving backwards which it isn't meant to do. This can cause a lot of problems.. Ulcers, torn muscles, etc.. So if you really want to fast just be smart about it.
to be honest, eatings one of the first things on my mind when I wake up anyways

I used to skip breakfast before school all the time, but shits bad for you!
Quote by DavidBuchanan
Well if not eating that early is making you sick fasting wouldn't be a good idea. Are you fasting for religious reasons? If so and you really want to do it, maybe cut down to just a piece of white bread when you are feeling nauseous and other than that just drink water. Same basic idea, just keep you from screwing yourself up. When you dry heave or throw up it takes a toll on your body because your whole digestive tract is moving backwards which it isn't meant to do. This can cause a lot of problems.. Ulcers, torn muscles, etc.. So if you really want to fast just be smart about it.

Great suggestion man. And yes it's for religious reasons. Though I hate the word religious.
Depends, i'm type 1 diabetic, and ive found if i dont take my insulin before i go to bed ill fell sick the next morning and dry reach a bit. Also if im woken suddenly
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
No, but sometimes if I eat too soon after waking up I feel sick...High blood sugar?
Pit =/= doctor.
But in my uneducated civilian opinion I'd just say it would be a bad idea to risk it. The risk/reward ratio is not in your favor. Risk: you could vomit/pass out/other major issue. Reward: unnecessary, voluntary religious rite.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by WNxScythe
Great suggestion man. And yes it's for religious reasons. Though I hate the word religious.

Well then it's important to you even if people want to stay it's stupid or not worth it. I was doing some bible courses on-line a couple of years ago and I got really into it for a while. I used to fast a lot, and I'm telling you from experience, dude if you work out a lot be really careful. You lose a LOT of strength when fasting. When your body goes in to starvation mode it doesn't burn fat because it's trying like hell to get something to make fat. It starts off by burning muscle and doesn't start burning fat until later. But if it IS low blood sugar, I would definitely use white bread cause shits unhealthy as anything. It'll get some sugars back in your body. How long are you wanting to fast for?
Quote by DavidBuchanan
Well then it's important to you even if people want to stay it's stupid or not worth it. I was doing some bible courses on-line a couple of years ago and I got really into it for a while. I used to fast a lot, and I'm telling you from experience, dude if you work out a lot be really careful. You lose a LOT of strength when fasting. When your body goes in to starvation mode it doesn't burn fat because it's trying like hell to get something to make fat. It starts off by burning muscle and doesn't start burning fat until later. But if it IS low blood sugar, I would definitely use white bread cause shits unhealthy as anything. It'll get some sugars back in your body. How long are you wanting to fast for?

Thanks for the comforting words man. I knew as soon as I posted this I'd get attacked by some anti-religious zealots

The white bread is really a great idea... how much should I eat of it though? I mean the whole point of fasting is to put yourself through a hard time to show God you're looking to him. As one of my old friends told me once (he fasted for 14 days straight, nothing but water... hardcore), "When you don't eat, you can't help but think about God".

And ya I definitely will not be working out while doing this.

Honestly... I want to fast until my prayers get answered. So whether that's 3 days or 40 days (like Jesus)... hopefully the former, I don't know if I have the guts to handle it for even a week. I'm fasting because I've been praying for years for healing for a deep deep emotional problem and I feel like I need to turn it up a notch to show God my desperation for his mercy and my utter powerlessness over the situation.
Last edited by WNxScythe at Sep 6, 2010,
Im sorry, but starving yourself is going to cause your body to eat away at your muscle mass, making you weaksauce, unless you replaced meals with hormone injections or something
Quote by WNxScythe
Thanks for the comforting words man. I knew as soon as I posted this I'd get attacked by some anti-religious zealots

The white bread is really a great idea... how much should I eat of it though? I mean the whole point of fasting is to put yourself through a hard time to show God you're looking to him. As one of my old friends told me once (he fasted for 14 days straight, nothing but water... hardcore), "When you don't eat, you can't help but think about God".

Honestly... I want to fast until my prayers get answered. So whether that's 3 days or 40 days (like Jesus)... hopefully the former, I don't know if I have the guts to handle it for even a week. I'm fasting because I've been praying for years for healing for a deep deep emotional problem and I feel like I need to turn it up a notch to show God my desperation for his mercy and my utter powerlessness over the situation.

Do you realise how little sense this makes? Seriously, if God is real why on earth would he care about someone not eating for abit?!!

And to the second bit:

You do realise, in the world now there are people starving to death, probably calling out to god to save them, there are people who have relatives with cancer in hospital who are dying and asking for a miracle that will never happen. Why on earth would God choose you unless you have something equally horrendous happening? Seriously?
Quote by Zoot Allures
Do you realise how little sense this makes? Seriously, if God is real why on earth would he care about someone not eating for abit?!!

And to the second bit:

You do realise, in the world now there are people starving to death, probably calling out to god to save them, there are people who have relatives with cancer in hospital who are dying and asking for a miracle that will never happen. Why on earth would God choose you unless you have something equally horrendous happening? Seriously?

This isn't the "be an atheist prick" thread, he's asking for advice. You and me are atheists, that's cool, just don't parade it around on your high horse thinking you're better than everyone else.
Plus it strikes me as a little odd that you have no qualms about criticizing Christianity but you wouldn't criticize Muslims' beliefs. I've noticed most Pit dwellers constantly bash Christians then defend Muslims. Of course this post will now make you claim to criticize all religions equally, or some bullshit like that, but you know deep down that you're politically correct mind can't criticize Muslims. I've never seen it on these forums other than racist "conservatives," and probably never will because it is so taboo, but if you're going to constantly bash Christians without mercy at least put the other Abrahamic religions on the table too.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
This isn't the "be an atheist prick" thread, he's asking for advice. You and me are atheists, that's cool, just don't parade it around on your high horse thinking you're better than everyone else.
Plus it strikes me as a little odd that you have no qualms about criticizing Christianity but you wouldn't criticize Muslims' beliefs. I've noticed most Pit dwellers constantly bash Christians then defend Muslims. Of course this post will now make you claim to criticize all religions equally, or some bullshit like that, but you know deep down that you're politically correct mind can't criticize Muslims. I've never seen it on these forums other than racist "conservatives," and probably never will because it is so taboo, but if you're going to constantly bash Christians without mercy at least put the other Abrahamic religions on the table too.

Thank you. Seriously.
Quote by WNxScythe

It's not because we're anti-region, it's because we're anti-stupid. If you wanted to bang a hammer on your head every morning during prayer I'd probably advise against that, too. Fasting causes real harm to your body and if there's no good reason to do it, then it's best not to.
PM me for newts
If you'd fast, my friend, I suggest you don't. If you have low blood sugar you're basically just killing yourself.
If i have a nap during the day time, i feel a bit groggy after waking up, and sometimes a bit ill, but when i have a sleep in the night time, i wake up hungry.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by StewieSwan
It's not because we're anti-region, it's because we're anti-stupid. If you wanted to bang a hammer on your head every morning during prayer I'd probably advise against that, too. Fasting causes real harm to your body and if there's no good reason to do it, then it's best not to.

+1

believe in whatever you want, just dont kill yourself over it pl0x
My stomach makes absurd sounds and gets a tightened up nauseating effect at least once a day, never knew what it was but it's usually only mild.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW