So I'm at my local music store the other day to play with their pedals. Mainly looking for a boost for my crunch channel.
Right now, I am using a danelectro 7 band EQ as a clean boost, and it sounds pretty good, but I hate the switch on it (if you had one, you know the feeling)
So I try a few different OD pedals, pretty much with the gain low, and level high. a couple Boss pedals, a few "wonderdrive" pedals, and a couple BBE pedals.

I brought my own rig, so I could hear them with MY amp, MY guitars, and MY cab. Also, this way, I can A/B it with my EQ pedal to see which sound best.

One of the first I used was the BBE Green screamer, as this was the best of the pedals I tested when I went through everything Guitar Center had...and it was expectedly good....but not really an IMPROVEMENT over the Dano...other than the switch.
Then I tried the Boss pedals...they all came and went pretty quickly.
Tried some of the Wonderdrive pedals, and they showed some real promise! 1 actually bested my previous top candidate the Green Screamer.

One of the last pedals I tried was the BBE "Boosta Grande" (or something like that). This thing sounded GREAT! Now this is just supposed to be a "clean" boost pedal...not even a tone knob on it, but it sounded so big and full! No matter what I did with the EQ pedal, it couldn't match the BBE!

Anyone else use this pedal? Even the guys working there were blown away by the BBE...and it was the LEAST expensive pedal tested (save for the Dano). I just don't see how 1 "clean" boost sounds SO much fuller and bigger than all the OD pedals, and more impressively, fuller than the 7 band EQ!
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
A clean boost forces you to push the front end of an amp. Depending on how you use an OD, you might not be, or you might be adding a lot of diode clipping that may or may not sound as good as overdriving the preamp. What you've really discovered is that you don't need more clipping, just more volume. Enjoy!
Yep, but how does it beat out the EQ pedal doing the same thing? I even boosted the lows a bit, and the mids more, and couldn't match the Boosta Grande. I even bumped up the overall level setting to be more than the Boosta, just never sounded as full.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Boosting frequencies with an EQ isn't always the way to go IMO. I usually use mine to cut more than the amp can, and I depend on my Bad Monkey to hit the front end hard.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Running your signal through all the filters in an EQ can sometimes dampen the tone, though usually it's not too noticeable since you can just EQ it out. A full-range clean boost is much simpler and has a shorter signal path, which in tone-world is a good thing.
Quote by Vinson
Yep, but how does it beat out the EQ pedal doing the same thing? I even boosted the lows a bit, and the mids more, and couldn't match the Boosta Grande. I even bumped up the overall level setting to be more than the Boosta, just never sounded as full.

the Dano EQ won't have as much output since the boosta grande is designed to boost your singal, whereas the Dano is designed to shape your tone. It can provide a decent boost, but the BBE is going to trump it in that department everytime.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
My friend has a boosta grande. Its a solid pedal. It pushed his V55 pretty hard. Never got to try it with my JCM sadly.
I run my Boosta Grande! in my FX loop for a clean boost.

It does work well...

I was rather shocked too, about the Boosta Grande!
Taken from my PedalBoard build thread listed below:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1313098&page=3&pp=20

Quote by BurstBucker Pro
Things are looking good...

PedalTrain was received today, and I now have all pedals except for TWA's 'Little Dipper'.

Everything works fine as configured...

On the Boosta Grande, I really wanted to hate it. It just didn't look right to me. It turns out I can't help but smile every time I click the thing on. All the review guys posted 'Put it in the loop', and 'Put it very last in your chain'. I wasn't sure if I would like it there, but it makes every effect sound fuller. So far, I love the thing.

That is the one pedal I have yet to take the feet off the bottom. I figured it had a high chance of going back. I have to say, I think i'm keeping it.

Quote by BurstBucker Pro

BBE Boosta Grande:
The guy at GC was highly recommending this pedal, and I had 30 days to bring it back if I didn't like it.
Turns out I do like it very much.
I also was shocked to find out that it won a GuitarPlayer Pick Award...
http://www.bbesound.com/products/stomp-boxes/boosta-grande.aspx
Nice job BBE.

It only requires a tiny 3mA to operate: http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/power/brands/other.htm

Reading the reviews posted about the Boosta Grande here:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/reviews?base_pid=157037&sc=date&so=desc
Most of these boys were saying that the Boosta Grande does best in the FX loop, and many are saying to put it dead last.
That is exactly what I did, and find I like it there allot.
I think it makes my FX loop effects sound more rich and fuller.
A volume boost for leads, is exactly what this pedal is intended for on my board.
I find that it does that well.

That's my stance on the Boosta Grande...
BTW - I did pry the rubber pad off the bottom of the Boosta Grande (PITA), and it did officially receive some PedalTrain Velcro.
It's a keeper.
Last edited by BurstBucker Pro at Sep 6, 2010,