Knowing that everything Omar plays comes straight from his ears and his feelings, things get a bit messy in their songs... I'm currently checking out Cassandra Gemini, and I believe it's in the key of E, but I'm not sure what kind of scales he is using in the first part of the song... Is it the harmonic minor scale? Help clearing things up

Thanks.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Quote by Svennz
Knowing that everything Omar plays comes straight from his ears and his feelings, things get a bit messy in their songs... I'm currently checking out Cassandra Gemini, and I believe it's in the key of E, but I'm not sure what kind of scales he is using in the first part of the song... Is it the harmonic minor scale? Help clearing things up

Thanks.

You said it all. He doesn't use any particular scale at all, his playing is mostly improve over the changes, and uses a lot of chromaticism. If you want to get his sound, I'd transcribe some songs and then analyze what notes he uses over what chords, then you begin to find patterns (like x note always goes with y chord).

A good reference point for scales may be the spanish scale, but really transcribe and work it out some of his ideas first.
Probably just major and minor scales with tons of chromaticism.
Call me Batman.
He's probably made up his own scales because he doesn't understand theory and other people's scales. Having said that, I'd do just about anything to learn his scales. Just learn the entire song and don't try to improvise over it, then you don't need to understand any of the theory behind it, just memorize each note.