Hi guys~

Someone is selling their older version of Laney VH-100R head (the one with bigger logo) with TT412A cab for 700USD. I heard they have good cleans and alright high gain.

BTW, I play Jazz to Metal-core.

Is this a good deal? I just want to get an idea from you guys before I drive 1 1/2 hour to try it out.

Thanks
Gear

Fender American standard ash Telecaster
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Fender American FSR Chambered Telecaster
Fender HH FMT Telecaster

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40w Amp
Last edited by mbos4115 at Sep 6, 2010,
I don't know what these amps + cabs go for normally price-wise in your country, but I can say that the cleans on the VH100R is great, also I'm a big fan of its high-gain tones, sounds very crunchy to me, and playing leads on these things are great, really nice lead tones(to my ears).

Also note that I have a VC50, the 50 watt combo version of the VH100R.
My gear:
Ibanez RG 570 w. Irongear pickups
Tokai EX-55 Korina Explorer
Laney VC50 w. Eminence speakers
Digitech Bad Monkey
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
Yes, that is definitely a very good deal. Dunno if you'll like it for metal core. It does metal well with a boost, but it's more of a thrash tone than a modern metal tone.
Quote by Trailen
I don't know what these amps + cabs go for normally price-wise in your country, but I can say that the cleans on the VH100R is great, also I'm a big fan of its high-gain tones, sounds very crunchy to me, and playing leads on these things are great, really nice lead tones(to my ears).

Also note that I have a VC50, the 50 watt combo version of the VH100R.

Thanks a lot man, btw what kind of high gain does it sounds like? more like a marshall or mesa? I have heard some youtube videos, but my speakers are rubbish, so can't really tell~
Gear

Fender HH FMT Telecaster

Quote by Karpet King
not to make you feel like crap but

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/1938694071.html

AWWWWWWWWWW....Thanks a lot...lol

O well, its not I can drive all the way there anyway~
Gear

Fender HH FMT Telecaster

Quote by mbos4115
Thanks a lot man, btw what kind of high gain does it sounds like? more like a marshall or mesa? I have heard some youtube videos, but my speakers are rubbish, so can't really tell~

It's kinda like Laneys spin on a Marshall JCM800. Dunno how similar the circuits actually are, but the tones the amps produce seem related.
Quote by TheQuailman
It's kinda like Laneys spin on a Marshall JCM800. Dunno how similar the circuits actually are, but the tones the amps produce seem related.

Thanks a bunch, thats the tone I am looking for. I am going to drive down this weekend to try it out~ hopefully its good~
Gear

Fender HH FMT Telecaster

As the duck said; the sound is a bit on the marshall/british side of things, but with a "Laney" twist. Quite crunchy, 80's metal tones are easy to get, whether it be Priest, Maiden, Accept or things such as 80's Metallica and other tones with a typical "british" voicing(ACDC, Gary Moore etc. the list is almost endless). I've heard clips of the VH100R sounding more modern and with more "chug" but I personally haven't been able to find those kind of tones. These Laney amps are tweakers and you can sit for hours doing small adjustments and suddenly finding THE tone you're looking for.
My gear:
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
Quote by Trailen
As the duck said; the sound is a bit on the marshall/british side of things, but with a "Laney" twist. Quite crunchy, 80's metal tones are easy to get, whether it be Priest, Maiden, Accept or things such as 80's Metallica and other tones with a typical "british" voicing(ACDC, Gary Moore etc. the list is almost endless). I've heard clips of the VH100R sounding more modern and with more "chug" but I personally haven't been able to find those kind of tones. These Laney amps are tweakers and you can sit for hours doing small adjustments and suddenly finding THE tone you're looking for.

Thanks for the input!! Can I get a "modern-ier" tone if I switch the the power tubes to 6L6? I do know the newer versions are switchable, but I can't find this information for the older versions.
Gear

Fender HH FMT Telecaster

They're all switchable, if I'm not mistaken. Look at the back, there should be a "6L6 EL34" switch.

My GH50 (which is a related model) gets a little more low-end and a little less upper mids with 6L6s. It is still unmistakebly the same amp, but the difference is still relatively big. I'm keeping 6L6s in mine, because it sounds better at low volumes that way, imo. It can be EQ'd for metal with either type of tube imo, but the little extra low-end of the 6L6 might help with modern tones. It's worth trying, at the very least.
Once again, what the duckman said. The amp gets somewhat more of a modern character with 6L6s, but it's definitely still the same amp. Compared to say the peavey 6505 which is a popular amp for modern metal, I do prefer my VC50, the 6505 just seems a bit dark to me, and i prefer the brighter crunchiness of the Laney. I'd say the Laney could do modern metal just fine, but you will have sort of a sound of your own, not sounding quite like the hundreds of other bands with their 5150/6505s.
My gear:
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
Thank you so much Duckman & Trailen! That really clears up my questions.
Gear

Fender HH FMT Telecaster