ARGH! F@CK! All I can do is write a couple riffs which I would consider half way decent. I can never write a full song! It sh!ts me up the wall!

Anyone have any tips? They would be greatly appreciated!
Learn the chromatic scale.
I realise you can't actually LEARN it, it's just every note on the fretboard. (I dunno if you already knew that or not)
But, some notes will work better with others even if you are working in chromatic.
Harmonic Minor can make for some pretty cool riffs too.

Just have a listen to various death metal bands, learn some of their songs, take note of how they're playing them and learn by doing.
That's how I learnt just about everything I can do on guitar now.
Quote by Disturbed_EMG
Learn the chromatic scale.
I realise you can't actually LEARN it, it's just every note on the fretboard. (I dunno if you already knew that or not)
But, some notes will work better with others even if you are working in chromatic.
Harmonic Minor can make for some pretty cool riffs too.

Just have a listen to various death metal bands, learn some of their songs, take note of how they're playing them and learn by doing.
That's how I learnt just about everything I can do on guitar now.

Yeah I know the Chromatic Scale and all the modes... Been playing for 5+ years. I know songs by DM bands as well... Its just the whole putting together a song which is the problem! I guess I just can't write songs.

Thanks for the help mate!
Try using unique scales/chords (my favorite being the phyrgian scale) Also, i write best when i'm under an... edgy stress. I can still concentrate on writing, but have enough emotions to blow some good riffs out of my amp. When perfectly stressed like so, i play and record (with pen and paper, tape record, tab editor) as much as i can, until you've milked your emotions dry, then the next day, construct it into songs (if you record the riffs you play in ORDER, you should have somewhat of a song structure, unless you are having wicked mood swings haha). Works for me everytime.
Last edited by kamjam7 at Sep 8, 2010,
My suggestions:
1. Keep repeating what you've got. 80% of the songs I hear do this.
2. Take two songs you've written & combine them so that one is the verse and another the chorus. Add transition chords between them to make it work.