Ok so i've heard some clips of the JCA 100 and i love it, its pretty much ruined my GAS prevention techniques completely lol. problem being im going to uni and dont have a lot of space and dont need another 100w head so how does the JCA 20 compare?? is it just not as much headroom and not as loud??

any help appreciated

cheers
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
The JCA20 is a nice amp but it's a totally different beast to the JCA100. Boosted you can bring the br00tz with a JCA20 but you lose versatility with only one channel. Volume wise both are freaking loud but being a 20 watter the JCA20 will break up much sooner which is a blessing and a curse for different people.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
The JCA20 is a nice amp but it's a totally different beast to the JCA100. Boosted you can bring the br00tz with a JCA20 but you lose versatility with only one channel. Volume wise both are freaking loud but being a 20 watter the JCA20 will break up much sooner which is a blessing and a curse for different people.

ok well tbh im not too fussed about versatility, all i kinda need is a good tube amp that can do metal and some other things but isn't big and isn't too loud for practicing but can go all the way for gigging
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
The JCA20 has alot less gain than the JCA100, and is voiced somewhat more for classic/hard rock IMO - of course it CAN do metal, but it doesn't bring t3h br00tz and t3h chugga quite as well as the JCA100.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The JCA20 has alot less gain than the JCA100, and is voiced somewhat more for classic/hard rock IMO - of course it CAN do metal, but it doesn't bring t3h br00tz and t3h chugga quite as well as the JCA100.

well tbh thats more of what i play with a bit of metal on top, and from this demo that i just watched it looks almost too good to be true!!! http://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-guitar-amps/pid18735/cid557/jet-city-jca2112rc-20-watt-tube-combo-with-reverb-by-soldano.asp

now i have to justify buying more gear after the Anderson i just got a month and a bit ago.....

i also have my Dual Rec for proper chugga chugga stuff, this is just for practicing whilst im at uni so that i dont have to take my old MG30 cos thats the only other amp i have
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Last edited by shredftw at Sep 6, 2010,
The JCA20 is a single channel Class A, the JCA100 is a two channel Class A/B. You get a lot of nice features and versatility with the 100 (or the JCA50 for that matter), although you could also get mods done to the JCA20. Jet City actually sells them now with various mods already done.

I used the 20 a few times at practice and my only major complaint was no effects loop, 'cause pre-amp at high gain, there is a lot of noise (although that's only typical). I like a gate in the loop to completely cut that racket.

Actually the 20 with the loop mod would be an awesome uni rig.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
just get the friedman modded jca20 if you want more gain.

the stock jca20 doesn't have a lot of gain on tap, its similar to a single channel jcm800, if you crank the volume and the gain you'll get a nice van halen-esque level of gain but at lower volumes it'll be impossible to do metal. but if you have really high output pickups, it might work.
can you get the mods done if you're in Europe?? im in England and dont want to have to spend a ton on shipping and stuff and a mod tbh.

ahh so is the JCA50 maybe a better option if i want to have the JCA100 sound but quieter and cheaper?? you can get a combo of that too yeah??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
Quote by Ratraisin
The JCA20 is a single channel Class A, the JCA100 is a two channel Class A/B. You get a lot of nice features and versatility with the 100 (or the JCA50 for that matter), although you could also get mods done to the JCA20. Jet City actually sells them now with various mods already done.

I used the 20 a few times at practice and my only major complaint was no effects loop, 'cause pre-amp at high gain, there is a lot of noise (although that's only typical). I like a gate in the loop to completely cut that racket.

Actually the 20 with the loop mod would be an awesome uni rig.

Well, actually I don't think it is Class A. All the class A amps I've seen have only had one power tube. I dunno much about how that works though.

EDIT: There is a 50w 212 coming out in a few months, that's supposed to be more akin to the 100 than the 20 (as the head is).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Well, actually I don't think it is Class A. All the class A amps I've seen have only had one power tube. I dunno much about how that works though.

EDIT: There is a 50w 212 coming out in a few months, that's supposed to be more akin to the 100 than the 20 (as the head is).

Tiny Terror is class A afaik and has 2 EL84's

This is more Cath's territory
Quote by AxSilentxLine

Yeah, when in doubt ask Cath or CECamps. He really knows his stuff considering he builds amps for a living.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by AxSilentxLine

I'm not sure what that particular amp has, but it's possible to run multiple tubes in parallel in class A operation.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by shredftw
can you get the mods done if you're in Europe?? im in England and dont want to have to spend a ton on shipping and stuff and a mod tbh.

ahh so is the JCA50 maybe a better option if i want to have the JCA100 sound but quieter and cheaper?? you can get a combo of that too yeah??
still too loud.

here is the thing, i've been to college, i lived on campus for two years, and you simply cannot have an amp that loud in your room. even the JCA20 is too loud for college unless you keep it under 1 on the dial. if i were finding an amp for college, i'd be looking for something around 5 watts or under. people will not appreciate the volume otherwise.
Quote by al112987
still too loud.

here is the thing, i've been to college, i lived on campus for two years, and you simply cannot have an amp that loud in your room. even the JCA20 is too loud for college unless you keep it under 1 on the dial. if i were finding an amp for college, i'd be looking for something around 5 watts or under. people will not appreciate the volume otherwise.

Seriously, volume knob ftw

If he wants tube saturation he may have more trouble, but nothing a boost can't handle IMO

From what I gather tube saturation isn't his goal anyway
I heard, that the 50w combo was more of a lucky 13 clone and the 100's gain circuit was rather close to an SLO. But that would need some more verification.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by cliff_em_all
I heard, that the 50w combo was more of a lucky 13 clone and the 100's gain circuit was rather close to an SLO. But that would need some more verification.
Isn't the lucky 13 (and basically all of Soldano's amps) at least somewhat based on the SLO?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by al112987
the stock jca20 doesn't have a lot of gain on tap, its similar to a single channel jcm800, if you crank the volume and the gain you'll get a nice van halen-esque level of gain but at lower volumes it'll be impossible to do metal.

No way!!!

The JCA20 has as much gain as an 800 with the gain at 4. It fairs just fine at low volumes.

Maybe you guys are playing a different amp here, cause mine has more than enough gain for any genre I could possibly want to play.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
No way!!!

The JCA20 has as much gain as an 800 with the gain at 4. It fairs just fine at low volumes.

Maybe you guys are playing a different amp here, cause mine has more than enough gain for any genre I could possibly want to play.
What tubes and pickups are you using. Granted I use low output pickups and I'm still using the stock tubes rather than any high gain sets but I honestly cannot imagine getting the kind if gain that you're getting out of your amp in your clip without an OD pedal or at the very least diming both the volume and gain.
Quote by shredftw

i also have my Dual Rec for proper chugga chugga stuff, this is just for practicing whilst im at uni so that i dont have to take my old MG30 cos thats the only other amp i have

Well...that turned out to be the most important piece of information in here. 100 watts will be overkill for a dorm. I don't have a lot of experience with the Jet Citys but the 20 JCA seems to be more inline. Check out the Vypyr 60 too, it has a headphone jack.
Quote by al112987
What tubes and pickups are you using. Granted I use low output pickups and I'm still using the stock tubes rather than any high gain sets but I honestly cannot imagine getting the kind if gain that you're getting out of your amp in your clip without an OD pedal or at the very least diming both the volume and gain.

Mine has the stock tubes, I'm usually using my PRS, which granted, has an extremely high output pickup in the bridge (Duncan El Diablo), but the DIs I use for my clips are with an EMG 81, which isn't anywhere near the output of the Diablo.

My settings for the clip was:

Gain - 7, Bass - 4, Mids - 4, Treble - 6, Volume - 4, Presence - 6 (or a variation of it). The lead and rhythm parts weren't the same EQ, but this is about where I had the EQ set for rhythm. Lead had more mids, etc.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
His beastly little Emperor cab remember? MC, it's not fair, your cab is what made the clips so br00tAl

In all honesty though, the JCA20H has plenty of gain. Boosted it rips in to yuor soul
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Mine has the stock tubes, I'm usually using my PRS, which granted, has an extremely high output pickup in the bridge (Duncan El Diablo), but the DIs I use for my clips are with an EMG 81, which isn't anywhere near the output of the Diablo.

My settings for the clip was:

Gain - 7, Bass - 4, Mids - 4, Treble - 6, Volume - 4, Presence - 6 (or a variation of it). The lead and rhythm parts weren't the same EQ, but this is about where I had the EQ set for rhythm. Lead had more mids, etc.
Good God man, gain - 7? volume - 4?

I guess you do have the presence pretty high which can make it sound a little more aggressive whereas I keep mine at around 3-4. But even when I crank the amp volume to 7-8 with the gain at 7 or so, I'm getting Van Halen 5150-era type gain. I guess this amp is really sensitive to different pickups. My pickups measure 7.5k/8.3k respectively both with degaussed A5 magnets. I might throw in the hotter Fillmores to see where that gets me...
Quote by CL/\SH
His beastly little Emperor cab remember? MC, it's not fair, your cab is what made the clips so br00tAl

In all honesty though, the JCA20H has plenty of gain. Boosted it rips in to yuor soul

oh yeah.....how could I forget

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
oh yeah.....how could I forget

You silly moo

Mind checkin in with the CL thread? I have a small dilemma going on that doesn't deserve it's own thread
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
The only clips I have heard are from MatrixClaw and RedFast PonyCar on youtube, two guys that have the setup and equipment to make absolutely anything sound awesome. Compared to the many videos of the 20 that were recorded with cell phone cameras and the like, so it is hard to judge